Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Antiques Road Trip, "Off" or "Orf"?

(11 Posts)
phoenix Wed 25-Sep-19 19:45:55

Hello all,

Mr P & I often watch this (on Really) as a bit of easy viewing after supper.

The narrator, Tim Wonnacott, doesn't seem able decide quite how " upper class" he is with regard to how he pronounces "off"grin

This has led to a little game between Me P & I to count how many "Offs" "Orfs" and the odd one that seems to fall in between!I

Yes, I know sad people who really should get out more...........blushconfused

(But at least we do it together!)

Harris27 Wed 25-Sep-19 19:56:01

I laughed at this will have to watch out for this.

BlueBelle Wed 25-Sep-19 20:24:54

I ve only ever heard him say orf

phoenix Wed 25-Sep-19 20:39:07

Listen carefully, BlueBelle, he fluctuates!

LondonGranny Wed 25-Sep-19 22:25:39

I've only ever known two people who said 'orf' One was very posh and affected and a bit Brian Sewell and the other a docker from Bermondsey who always reminded me of Arthur Mullard!

LondonGranny Wed 25-Sep-19 22:30:53

The thing I really remember the docker saying was
"Bleedin' Nora, them fish paste sangwidges 'ave gorn orf. Worra pong!" on a day trip to Clacton.

ninathenana Thu 26-Sep-19 07:16:09

Tim's "orf" aggravates me, so does "nightie night" but not as much as the idiot that is Charles Hanson.

DH and I love the programme.

Jane10 Thu 26-Sep-19 08:06:42

I love it too. Completely agree about Charles Hanson. DH has to leave the room when he comes on!

Luckylegs Thu 26-Sep-19 18:38:25

I agree but he does seem to get the bargains and then good prices for them! He always wins!

Nannyxthree Thu 26-Sep-19 19:55:49

Tim Wonnacott makes an effort to pronounce place names correctly which is no easy task.

Will watch-out for the 'orf' now.

phoenix Thu 26-Sep-19 20:54:18

Sorry to disagree, Nannyxthree but when, according to Tim Wonnacott, they were in "Glorster" (Gloucester) I was gritting my teeth with irritation!