Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Countryfile calendar pictures

(25 Posts)
tanith Sun 29-Sep-19 18:45:35

I’ve just watched the results of Countryfile calendar pictures competition and I’m not sure how I feel that the winning photo was actually set up in a studio setting. I’d assumed they all had to be taken in a natural setting but it seems it’s allowed in the rules.
Does anyone else feel it’s a bit of a cheat?

ayse Sun 29-Sep-19 18:47:17

Yes, too right.

petra Sun 29-Sep-19 19:27:57

tanith
Wrong wrong wrong. There will be a lot of anger over the judges choice.

Jabberwok Sun 29-Sep-19 19:28:44

Me too! I also thought it was the best amateur photo taken on the hoof so to speak, not a contrived studio set up!!

KatyK Sun 29-Sep-19 20:12:54

Yes I thought so too.

Hazelgran1 Sun 29-Sep-19 20:20:10

I jokingly said " how did they get the mouse to to that?". Never a truer word. Feel a bit tricked but its still a good photo. Hope they raise a lot of money.

shandi6570 Sun 29-Sep-19 20:20:20

I agree and so annoyed that I sent a complaint to the BBC.

lemongrove Sun 29-Sep-19 20:29:53

Am surprised but if the rules allow it..

Gonegirl Sun 29-Sep-19 20:35:02

Seems totally wrong to me. confused Missed this evening's Countryfile but I'm going to watch on catch-up when it's available. See what they say.

Gonegirl Sun 29-Sep-19 20:37:34

Suppose a photo is a photo, no matter how it was done. Perhaps not it's like a wildlife programme.

Still seems cheaty.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 29-Sep-19 20:42:02

When I saw the photo I said that is never a natural photo, and I was right. It is completely wrong.

I have been thinking for some years about entering a photo myself, even went and bought a decent camera but every year when I see the standard of the photos I think I could just never get one like that.

So now I am going to borrow next doors rabbit and see what I can do grin also going to complain to the BBC.

HettyMaud Sun 29-Sep-19 20:44:57

Initially I thought what a truly wonderful photo. But now I know it was contrived I just think it was cheating. I'd never buy that calendar now I know they allow photos like that.

ScottieMurphy33 Sun 29-Sep-19 21:07:12

Feel sorry for the other photographers thats sat for hours braving the weather and waiting for that opportune moment, when one can make props and stage a shoot in the comfort of their own home!

EllanVannin Sun 29-Sep-19 21:22:44

It was a swizz. We've been conned.

Oopsminty Sun 29-Sep-19 21:29:51

Bizarre.

tanith Sun 29-Sep-19 21:49:56

I’m glad it wasn’t just me thought it was a bit cheaty ?

NfkDumpling Sun 29-Sep-19 22:11:22

I think most are set up in some way or another. The pony on the beach must have been put there. The dragonfly is a set up the same as the mouse. The goats against a completely black background. I can’t figure out how someone managed to be lying in the snow when that white hare appeared. And as for those oyster catchers ...

Jabberwok Mon 30-Sep-19 09:45:15

Thinking about it I'm sure you're right ND, but we were under the illusion that it was natural photography! Silly old us! Another myth revealed! Honesty and integrity sadly seem words in very short supply these days!

tiredoldwoman Mon 30-Sep-19 10:50:31

Yes, I thought it was wrong too , a bit like putting those sleeping babies into plant pots , amusing but not a natural out doors moment caught by chance !

dragonfly46 Mon 30-Sep-19 10:57:34

I thought the winning picture was of the pole cats?

Daisymae Mon 30-Sep-19 11:00:39

Years ago I watched a wildlife program about kingfishers. Was amazed at how they managed to capture the moment one darted into the river and catch a fish. Turned ou that the fish was put into a clear trap, so basically in a bowl. I have had my suspicions over lots of seemingly natural wildlife programs since.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 30-Sep-19 11:01:23

The little mouse in the apple was not wild then, probably bought from a pet shop. I thought it had to be wild creatures.

tiredoldwoman Mon 30-Sep-19 11:37:47

Ive just looked up Countryfile's Twitter . Lots of outraged people - not tweeting - squawking !
I think the polecats won last year ,Dragonfly ?

BBbevan Mon 30-Sep-19 16:34:42

Yes as you say a swizz. Never would buy the calendar anyway. I dislike cutesy animal stuff, and Countryfile will bang on about it until after Christmas.

OurKid1 Mon 30-Sep-19 16:45:01

I agree. I was a little annoyed, but, having said that, I couldn't take it if someone else set it up for me and put the camera in exactly the right position!

I'd love it if the winner ever turned out to be someone using a phone or a point and shoot camera, rather than a huge monstrosity which weighs a ton, then I might stand a very slim chance!