Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

"Judy"

(18 Posts)
Grannyknot Sun 06-Oct-19 15:24:41

I saw the film yesterday, it is excellent. Renee Zellweger does deserve all the plaudits, but there are excellent performances all round from the supporting cast.

jacq10 Sun 06-Oct-19 15:32:37

Going to see it this evening. I've been told to take a box of tissues. The reviews have certainly been good.

TerriBull Sun 06-Oct-19 15:41:34

I too have seen it, Renee Zelwegger was very good, she always is, although in spite of the obviously dyed black hair she still had an incy wincy bit of the Bridget Jones about her. I can't say I remember Judy Garland that well Her life was pretty wretched by all accounts and she was set on her ruinous path by Louis B Mayer and his acolytes at such an early age, half starved and sleep deprivation, it was hard not to feel sorry for her.

Whilst the film is worth seeing, I didn't particularly enjoy it. I'll be interested to know what others think though.

kittylester Sun 06-Oct-19 16:14:09

I remember quite a bit about Judy Garland and that makes me sad enough. I wont watch the film

MawB Sun 06-Oct-19 17:13:51

Just back from the film and yes, the final number had me sniffling surreptitiously. ??
Good film - Renee Zellweger is very good (but there were some mannerisms reminiscent of Bridget Jones) , in fact everybody was good - an excellent Sunday afternoon film, but probably not a great one.

Elcie Sun 06-Oct-19 17:23:03

Just home from seeing the film. All the acting was very good, Renee Zellweger in particular, but the film was too long. They could have cut at least twenty minutes where the scenes were very similar or just too drawn out. Glad I’ve seen it but it’s not that great.

Grannyknot Sun 06-Oct-19 17:56:02

Elcie I agree with you about it being too long. Most modern films are overly long, so I sit there and think about where I would have edited. or I quietly mutter Okay, okay, we get it.

Riverwalk Sun 06-Oct-19 19:27:05

I saw this afternoon and really enjoyed it - two hours went by quickly.

Big lump in the throat at the finale of 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'.

Coolgran65 Sun 06-Oct-19 19:57:40

I'm going to see it on Tuesday with my friend.

Oopsminty Sun 06-Oct-19 20:04:41

I worry a bit when it comes to films about real people. The families are not always happy and one of Judy's daughters is not pleased at all.

It's a bit like The Crown. They're filming all the Diana stuff now and it's bound to be hurtful to family and friends.

Of course nobody needs to watch but another problem that arises from these films is they are completely believed by some as if they're gospel.

So I think I'll be giving this a miss

Ziggy62 Thu 10-Oct-19 21:43:00

I loved it, best movie I've seen for a while.

Iam64 Thu 10-Oct-19 22:31:07

I enjoyed it, came out with leaky eyes after that fantastic final scene.
Rene Z was so good as Judy. The film showed how damaging her early acting career with Louis B Mayer was during childhood and throughout the rest of her life, without over playing it I felt.
Good film. Great actors.

Urmstongran Thu 10-Oct-19 23:03:37

I saw it last week at the Trafford Centre. I cried at the end. I didn’t realise she was only 47y when she died. What she endured as a child star amounted to child abuse.

I spent the next day Googling ‘Judy Garland’.

Teetime Fri 11-Oct-19 09:37:22

I saw it and it was sad but not enough to make me cry. I already knew about the play this was adapted from and can remember her chaotic performances at the London Palladium and likewise her daughter Liza Minelli who was not mentioned in the film. Rene Zellweger did the best anyone could do with this role. Not a great film.

ginny Fri 11-Oct-19 11:56:06

I enjoyed the film although it was rather a sad story. Rene Z was brilliant.
Teetime, Liza was shown talking to Judy at the party but her name was not mentioned.

vena11 Fri 11-Oct-19 12:19:12

I saw it this week and enjoyed and yes very sad, my DH even had a tear in his eye.

Urmstongran Fri 11-Oct-19 12:31:51

Yes ginny I liked when Judy asks Liza ‘are you not anxious about your performance tomorrow?’ And Liza says ‘no, why should I be?’ Judy’s demons can’t comprehend that. Plus a different world in showbiz by the 60’s and Liza wasn’t a child star being manipulated.

boodymum67 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:15:19

I saw the film and loved it, but felt so sad for Judy. Such a sad life. But I have started reading a bio by Gerald Clarke today and have only got a chapter in. Judy is 4 and there`s no mention of unhappiness yet.......must have started later