Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dublin Murders

(78 Posts)
Jane43 Tue 22-Oct-19 10:26:49

Is anybody else watching this? I am three episodes in and finding it very difficult to understand the several story lines and identify the characters and their relevance to past events.

grannyticktock Sun 10-Nov-19 22:19:54

Lexie's housemates murdered her because of something she'd found out about them, I forget what it was.

I don't think the wolf was real. Someone would have known if there were actual wolves in the wood, and it doesn't explain the blood in Adam's shoes (which they kept on and on about but never resolved) or the slashes on his shirt.

BlueBelle Sun 10-Nov-19 20:28:01

I gave up second episode too I haven’t been attracted to try it again

Jaycee5 Sun 10-Nov-19 20:08:04

I quite liked this at the beginning but gave up on it half way into the second episode.
I had wondered if I should try again. From reading the comments, I don't think I'll bother.

katie1 Sun 10-Nov-19 20:02:58

Was it clear why Lexie was murdered?

katie1 Sun 10-Nov-19 20:01:05

I think the children were taken by the wolves. At the end they showed a wolf. Adam must have seen the wolf take the children because he kept having nightmares about a wolf coming towards him?

grannyticktock Sat 09-Nov-19 20:37:34

"Jane Doe" and "John Doe" are names used to refer to an unidentified corpse. It seemed quite bizarre to me that the police seemed to make no effort to identify this murder victim, who had held the "Lexie" identity for only a few years and must have had a back-story, a family, people who had reported her missing. But no, they had no curiosity about her, they just shrugged it off and had her cremated.

Lins1066 Sat 09-Nov-19 19:05:50

I love that grannybuy, may I ask where you bought it?

grannybuy Sat 09-Nov-19 18:51:11

Wrong thread. Sorry. Screen jumped.

grannybuy Sat 09-Nov-19 18:50:14

Reading this thread reminded me of this card which I have bought to give my cousin at Christmas. Not that we're feminists, mind, but we do have a sense of humour.

Jane43 Sat 09-Nov-19 18:46:20

I just looked at the end of episode 8 to see if I could find the answer to your question Calendargirl. It says on the box ‘Jane Doe’ but she says ‘Go well Lexie’ so presumably the ashes were Lexie’s.

On the iPlayer box sets section it says Dublin Murders Series 1 so presumably there will be another series. Possibly some of the unanswered questions may be addressed or possibly it will be completely different books and different characters.

Calendargirl Sat 09-Nov-19 10:46:25

I may be missing something, but who did the ashes that Cassie was scattering belong to? Was it Lexie who was killed, or was it the Jane Doe who lay dead in that flat for six months?

Jane43 Sat 09-Nov-19 10:34:21

The girl who murdered her sister said that things Rob had said when he met her in the pub made her suspect that he was Adam.

It was one of those dramas where there were far too many unanswered questions. It could have been so much better if just one of the plot lines had been addressed, a wasted opportunity because I thought the actors who played Rob and Cassie were very good.

Parsley3 Sat 09-Nov-19 09:54:05

I too persevered and wished I hadn’t. The series has put together the plots of two different books, apparently, and that is probably why it didn’t hang together.

Eloethan Sat 09-Nov-19 08:24:30

grannyticktock I think that's a really insightful - and damning - summary of a totally silly drama that I was stupid enough to persevere with.

grannyticktock Fri 08-Nov-19 23:23:20

There wasn't just one hole, though, the whole thing was riddled with holes and red herrings:
The disappearance of the children was set up as a big mystery right from the start, but it was never resolved.
We never even found out what happened to Adam (and neither did he).
The only connection between the children in the woods and the later murders was that the murdered girl's father was one of the youths in the woods on the day the children vanished.
The motorway, and his objections to it, was another irrelevant sub-plot.
We never found out -and no one seemed to care - who "Lexie" really was or why she had taken a new identity, she was just dismissed and thrown away.
How the girl knew that Rob was Adam was a mystery.
At the beginning, Adam and Cassie both seemed to be sharing some secret knowledge of the woods, but in fact the long-ago incident was nothing to with Cassie, was it?
Then at the end, Rob and Cassie agreed that they must never meet again - but why?
And as for the wolf.....

To me, it was just a lazy narrative in which the author enjoyed setting up little mysteries and conundrums but couldn't be bothered to provide answers.

Hetty58 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:20:50

I thought that it was really fascinating. I don't like endings that are all neatly tied up, anyway. I think the unanswered questions reflect real life, leaving us puzzled and allowing the imagination to continue - just like the book.

Treebee Fri 08-Nov-19 19:07:28

How did the girl who was her sister’s killer know Rob was Adam?
I enjoyed the confusion of the whole story but this hole spoils it for me.

maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 19:07:07

No explanation of why Adams’s shoe was full of blood or why he remembered being tied/clinging to a tree. Unless I missed it. I enjoyed the series but didn’t feel the end untied all the strands.

Jane43 Fri 08-Nov-19 19:04:22

I may have missed it but did they explain why Adam the young boy’s shoe was full of blood? Perhaps it was just one of his nightmares along with the wolf?

maddyone Fri 08-Nov-19 08:42:42

I agree with others who have said that they wanted to know what happened to the children in the forest. Are we to assume they’re buried somewhere there? It seemed a disappointing end, especially with regard to Alex.

BlueBelle Fri 08-Nov-19 08:08:47

travelsofar I lasted two as well and gave up couldn’t work out who was who or what was what Life’s too short

Bossyrossy Fri 08-Nov-19 08:04:03

Gfplux - we watched to the end. It wasn’t revealed in due course. Still unexplained threads.

travelsafar Fri 08-Nov-19 07:55:33

Glad i didn't continue watching this, i stopped after the first two .

Eloethan Thu 07-Nov-19 22:32:53

I've just watched the last two episodes of this and wish I hadn't bothered. What a confusing and unbelievable plot, and the one thing I was hanging on to find out - I'd lost interest in everything else - was what happened to the two children. It started fairly promisingly but what a let down.

Yehbutnobut Thu 07-Nov-19 10:29:48

They were taken by .....