Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Audio books

(9 Posts)
grapefruitpip Tue 22-Oct-19 16:04:52

I am rather confused about what's out there. Does anybody use these please and what is a good way to download them?

wildswan16 Tue 22-Oct-19 17:06:43

Have you tried your local library. Most libraries now use an app so that you can download audio books or "proper" books. This is much the cheapest way of doing it. Our library uses the Overdrive app. Once downloaded and read the book is "returned" so you don't actually get to keep it.

Audible has a monthly fee of £7.99 (I think) and you get one free credit a month which allows you to download one audio book. You can also purchase extra credits if you want and they quite often have 2 for 1 weeks when you can get two audio books for 1 credit. Once you have downloaded the book it is then in your "library" for ever.

Anniebach Tue 22-Oct-19 19:16:22

I use Audible

eGJ Tue 22-Oct-19 22:39:48

Our library has “BorrowBox “ with all the latest books. I have Margaret Attwood’s The Testaments at present.

I am given Audible each Christmas and get 12 books a year.

Gfplux Fri 01-Nov-19 16:23:36

I also recommend your local library. If you are not a member just join for free.
You then download the overdrive app.
It is all very simple and important it’s FREE.

Having exhausted all the titles in my local library I was interested in over the last five years I now have an Audible (Amazon) yearly contract. (Christmas Present) 1 free book and then 12 books (credits) over 12 months for £69.99 (£5.83 a book).
This also gives you access to “daily deals” and other offers at £1.99 and £2.99.
I will be requesting the same Christmas present this December. I love Audible.

GreatauntieLinda Tue 05-Nov-19 12:30:14

I have used Audible in the past and have a library of the books I purchased. Can't remember how many times I've listened to Jeffrey Archer Prison Diary. If I can't sleep or wake up during the night I start to play one of the books and set a timer. Am normally asleep before the 10 or 15 minutes is up and they switch themselves off. Audible usually have an offer where you get the first one or two books free then £7.99 a month for one credit. I usually look for books with the longest run time and unabridged. You can get some excellent bargains.

GreatauntieLinda Tue 05-Nov-19 12:32:31

Gfplux - just read about the yearly contract. Didn't know about that. Off to look that one up. Thank you.

NotAGran55 Tue 05-Nov-19 12:49:55

Another Audible fan here . Stock up during deals smile

CanadianGran Tue 05-Nov-19 14:05:25

Another here promoting libraries. My library also has an Overdrive App where I can download both audio and e-books. Although I still read paper books, I do like to download an audio book.

My library lends them for between 14 and 21 days depending on the title. Usually that is long enough, but on occasion I have had to borrow them twice.