Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

His dark materials

(167 Posts)
travelsafar Sun 03-Nov-19 20:41:51

Ayone else watching this new drama on BBC1??

I can't make head nor tail of it at the moment!!!

Reminds me of Harry Potter, Beautiful Beasts the film, and the introduction music and scenes reminded me of Game of Thrones.

lemongrove Sat 28-Dec-19 09:56:24

With all dramas, it helps to record a few episodes and then watch at least two back to back.
Love everything apart from Ma Coster, a ‘dishevelled Twiggy’ indeed, haha Boheminan?I expected a stronger looking character.

Iam64 Sat 28-Dec-19 09:24:17

Have you read the books POGS?
The Subtle Knife is the one where Will discovers he can move into the world where Lyra lives.

POGS Fri 27-Dec-19 22:53:37

I watched the last 2 episodes tonight and I have to admit I hadn't not a clue what the ending meant.

Am I correct Lyra and the boy went through a porthole into each others world? Lyra by going into the light and the boy by going through the bush? What then? What was the meaning to it all in a few words can anybody tell me.

I don't need anybody to tell me I must be thick if I didn't get it I admit to it ?

Franbern Tue 24-Dec-19 10:21:19

Absolutely loved this, read the books few years back, and am now reading the new series set in the same world with same characters Thought this production was excellent in every way - brought the characters to life., Well acted, well produced, =well presented. Am looking forward to seeing the next part of it. Yes, they did include parts of book 2, but am wondering if the next series will be Books 2 & 3.
Thought they made it very obvious that Will was in a different world to Lyra - buses, cell phones, etc. etc.
Thought Lee Scoresby was well potrayed - and I know that many teenagers were drawn to watching this because he was in it - hopefully, they will all go on to read the books now.

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 23:40:30

With box sets eg Game of Thrones I like to watch the commentaries after I've seen the whole series, as they explain everything.

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 23:39:01

I sometimes have to rewatch series; had to do so with Years and Years eg as there was so much to take in. On the other hand, these days I often watch something and don't even try to understand it. I've never understood series like Line of Duty.

Chardy Mon 23-Dec-19 23:29:58

Have been thinking about what several said re. not understanding the 1st episode. I love Line of Duty, but I never understand how the strands all fit together until the end. For next Line of Duty series, I will employ the excellent idea of watching previous episodes twice, once in the right place, and then on iplayer when I've seen subsequent episodes - that's a good tip

lemongrove Mon 23-Dec-19 22:08:46

Extremely well done I thought, and well acted too, liked it very much.

Iam64 Mon 23-Dec-19 21:13:57

Because Lord Azriel cut his deamon and left him to die. )I think)
Also Roger had been at death's door previously. Poor Lyra with parents like she has - so many themes in those brilliant books.

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 21:11:12

SPOILER ALERT;
but why did Roger die when other children were cut but survived, albeit in a bad state...

Iam64 Mon 23-Dec-19 20:43:13

Labaik ,you're right, they combined two books in some way. Will doesn't have a deamon because he's human. I don't think you need an idiots guide to the books. Maybe like me, you need to re-read them. A friend did exactly that as we first read the books about 15 years ago when our teenage children recommended them. I forget the thriller I finished last week these days, never mind something as complex and gripping as these Pullman novels.
I think Will finds the Subtle Knife that enables him to travel into the world where Lyra and her bear live. That, is what happened at the end of the latest episode. The religious themes are interesting. Pullman is strongly opposed to organised religion and that's a strong theme. I don't share his strong feelings about that but I can definitely see his argument about control of people by organised religions.

Chardy Mon 23-Dec-19 19:57:49

Not a fantasy fan. Read the books ten years (?) ago. Listened to the 1st 2 books last year on Audible. The TV series made me listen to all 3 books again. I have my criticisms of the TV (made by BBC & HBO, so it'll sold all round the world) but watched it with DD, who didn't know the stories, and she loved it. I enjoyed it.
Labaik - Will doesn't come in until Book 2. They also mentioned the knife, which no one knows about until middle of Book 2.

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 18:57:21

They seemed to combine the first and second books in some way; I don't think Will was in the first book [?]. That really confused me as I couldn't understand why he didn't have a daemon. I'm just worried that it's because I'm getting old that I struggled with it; I used to love sci fi stuff when I was younger and seemed to understand complicated concepts. I think I need an 'idiots guide' to the books.

travelsafar Mon 23-Dec-19 09:06:53

tanith i agree it was boring and i made a cup of tea half way through as it just didnt hold my attention and i am glad it has finished to be honest.

Lins1066 Mon 23-Dec-19 08:06:03

I have read the books and think that the casting is very good on the whole. I wasn't sure about Lee Scoresby but his character has grown on me.
Totally agree with bohemian about Ma Costa however - a ' dishevelled Twiggy ' - brilliant. Nowhere near enough personality or gravitas.

Iam64 Mon 23-Dec-19 07:54:37

Fantastic. Great cast, wonderful deamons, awful cruel adults alongside the kind ones, we should all have an armoured bear ready to help us at times of need.
And - I don't do fantasy

boheminan Mon 23-Dec-19 07:50:25

I read the books and have a vision in my head of the characters, so watching the series wasn't a good idea. The special effects are brilliant, but to me the casting was appalling. I couldn't believe in any of the characters - particularly Ma Costa - I somehow never visualised her as resembling a dishevelled Twiggyhmm

tanith Mon 23-Dec-19 07:41:01

Totally confused but my concentration was wavering throughout the last episode maybe I should watch it again. Or maybe not ?

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 02:06:17

Well it's finished. I did read the book a long time ago and must have understood it then. But it didn't inspire me to read the next book. I found it very sad and depressing for young people to watch and quite honestly didn't understand any of it. Maybe it made more sense in the book.

travelsafar Mon 16-Dec-19 07:58:04

Starting to get bored with this now, just want to get to the end.

Labaik Tue 03-Dec-19 00:12:32

Love the music; very Game of Thrones'ish; always think a good theme tune sets the tone...

Franbern Mon 02-Dec-19 15:51:04

So agree annodomini, I have read these books several times in the past and, currently, am reading the prequel series. So enjoying this - highpoint of my weekends. Brilliantly done and acted - cannot praise it highly enough.

annodomini Sun 01-Dec-19 22:53:21

Even having read the book and knowing what is going to happen, the suspense is skilfully maintained by excellent acting and direction. This series should be destined for a BAFTA award.

LullyDully Sun 01-Dec-19 21:15:45

Great and now we have Will too. It is very strong and unsettling.

Iam64 Sun 01-Dec-19 21:11:32

What a brilliant episode this evening. The cast, the settings, the story all top notch