Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bbc sounds

(14 Posts)
grannyticktock Sat 16-Nov-19 23:22:14

Thank you for that explanation, Nana MacGeek, that's very helpful.

NanKate Sat 16-Nov-19 20:24:26

Just posted this complaint to join many others on BBC Sounds.

‘What a disappointment BBC Sounds is. I can no longer see a list of dramas in alphabetical or date order.

Just been listening to The 39 Steps and immediately below the list was an episode of The Turn of the Screw and it showed an episode in the middle of the series and then one from the beginning of the series, what happened to the rest of the series ? What a total b*lls up. One episode of the 39 Steps said it was 21 minutes long and then went on to 30 minutes, the last minute lasting about 9 minutes!

There are many people my age (pensioner) that want good programmes in numerical order, easy to navigate.

BBC Sounds is a shambles and I get the awful feeling no one is taking any notice of us.’

There are no replies from the BBC to all the complaints.

NanaMacGeek Sat 16-Nov-19 17:20:10

If you select, say, a podcast on Sounds, you can subscribe to it. That tells the App that you want to have a quick reference to all episodes of the podcast whenever you login. So you open the App and see all the available episodes of your subscribed podcast that you can listen to.

Then you have a choice. You can stream the podcast to your device and listen to it as it is 'played' to you. This takes up temporary storage on your device but does not persist when you close the App. You can resume playing when you open the App again, it will know where you left off. The alternative is that you download the episode of the podcast to your device. This means that the data are written to your device and they will take up storage. However, the podcast can be listened to even if there is no WiFi signal, it has been written onto your device, it is available offline.

When I checked my Sounds App earlier, I could see the individual episodes available and play (stream) them online. I then downloaded one of them. When I opened the download, I was able to play it but also had the opportunity to delete it, the menu for this drops down when you press the 'More' button - three white dots in a solid black circle (see photo).

You can check how much storage space individual Apps are taking up in the settings on your device.

I hope you don't mind this long-winded explanation but I'm not sure that you realise that you only need to delete downloaded episodes to save storage and that you can only delete downloaded episodes from your device.

Chewbacca Sat 16-Nov-19 13:41:31

Not that I know of NotSpaghetti and believe me, I've searched for a more user friendly alternative. The feedback comments on the Sounds website are filled with similarly vexed and frustrated listeners who just want the iPlayer radio back as it was. Apparently, the BBC decided it had to be changed so that it would appeal to younger listeners. For the life of me, I can't see how making access to programmes more difficult and complicated will appeal to any generation but, what do I know! BBC knows best.

NotSpaghetti Sat 16-Nov-19 09:38:39

It is a terrible app compared to the old one.
I find myself inwardly sighing every time I use it.
I too wrote to the BBC about it and had no response.
Wish there was an alternative.... maybe there is? Anyone know a better one please?

mcem Sat 16-Nov-19 09:31:58

Nana I find that doing so means new episodes of a series no longer appear in the subscribed list but existing ones are not removed.

However, prompted to carry out more extensive research, I find that episodes are actually only kept for a month and are then automatically removed.
My feelings of being "swamped" were therefore not altogether justified!
Still feel the app is unwieldy and not user-friendly!

NanaMacGeek Sat 16-Nov-19 00:24:27

I've found the following link which basically tells me to press 'Subscribed' again and it will un-subscribe me. It’s poor design if this is the case! I hope this is what you need.

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/features/my-sounds-remove

mcem Fri 15-Nov-19 23:52:54

Chewbacca that's precisely my problem. Have rarely downloaded anything but when I have I can delete quite easily. It's the series to which I've "subscribed" that I can't shift!
Eg I enjoyed Susan Calman's series
(Sisters) but not to the extent that I want to keep the 4 episodes forever!
Using the instructions for deleting downloads just doesn't work with subscribed series!
Since the Help section is useless I really hoped a GN bright spark might have sussed this and give me simple advice with my problem.
Ah well at least I am reassured that I'm not just being dim!
Thanks for the input everyone and if I find a solution I promise to share it.

annep1 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:07:40

Sorry, I see you have some replies from users. Good luck.

annep1 Fri 15-Nov-19 22:05:12

Did you read this?https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/downloading/delete-download

NanKate Fri 15-Nov-19 22:00:41

IMO BBC Sounds is useless. They no longer allow you to put programmes in alphabetical order or date order. I have written complaining and got nowhere ????

Chewbacca Fri 15-Nov-19 21:56:10

I'm at a complete loss with BBC Sounds as well mcem. The programmes (plays & drama) that I like to listen to don't appear in the listings until several days after they've been aired and often give up trying to find them on Sounds. I've added several serials to my "subscribed list but then can't delete or remove them once I've finished listening to them. This has been the worst improvement to the BBC website for a long time imo.

annep1 Fri 15-Nov-19 21:45:01

I can't help as I don't download but there must be an easy way to access downloads. I'm sure someone will help. I just wanted to say that I listen to the Archers without downloading on my phone.

mcem Fri 15-Nov-19 21:32:47

After some time I have more or less got to grips with it but find it rather awkward.
Can anyone help with this please?
It may be hard to believe but I don't need every episode of the Archers from the last umpteen weeks!
I've subscribed to several drama series but now that I have heard all episodes I'd like to declutter and delete them. I can't work out how to do it although there are instructions in the help section on how to delete downloads.
Any suggestions?