Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

War Of The Worlds

(89 Posts)
lemongrove Sat 16-Nov-19 22:26:07

A reminder that the new series War Of The Worlds is starting on Sunday evening.It has to be better than the awful Tom Cruise film version.?

ninathenana Wed 04-Dec-19 09:31:06

Not impressed with any aspect

Franbern Wed 04-Dec-19 09:23:59

BBbevan -thanks, I have now also got the kindle book for 49p. I found the final episode unbelievable slow and boring. Stayed with it just to see what happened, but was doing some Sudoku puzzles whilst I 'watched'.

Teetime Tue 03-Dec-19 10:36:41

Oh dear I am so glad WOTW has ended I dont know how I lasted through the last episode with Mrs Poldark endlessly drooping around the place in the fog-so disappointing.

NfkDumpling Tue 03-Dec-19 09:32:20

I shall read the book.

World on Fire finished with more to follow, so perhaps you’re right travelsafar and there will be more. I can’t see how George could possibly have survived - but it is all pretend - isn’t it?

travelsafar Tue 03-Dec-19 08:39:35

I agree the ending was bizarre. Do you think there will be a follow up series, was George really dead?? I do think the ending is perfect for another one.smile

tanith Tue 03-Dec-19 08:21:36

I was also very disappointed with the last episode.

NanKate Tue 03-Dec-19 08:18:30

What a disappointment. ?

Mapleleaf Mon 02-Dec-19 23:13:47

I have to say, that although I enjoyed the first two episodes, I think the final one was a real let down and totally ludicrous. What a disappointment.

Daisymae Mon 02-Dec-19 22:53:14

The book has a proper ending. The final episode proved to be rather tedious.

NfkDumpling Mon 02-Dec-19 21:19:52

Does the book have a proper ending or stop midair? I’d like to read it but hate books which don’t round things off as if the author ran out of ideas.

toscalily Mon 02-Dec-19 18:38:38

I did not read any reviews on purpose, wish I had now. I was looking forward to what I thought would be something worth watching so decided to have a marathon session. Not a patch on the book or previous versions. Dull, dreary, so drawn out I thought I was watching slow TV! What a waste of my time.

Gfplux Mon 02-Dec-19 15:11:05

So bad it’s bad.
I have loved and read the book many times. Listened to radio plays and watched previous films.
This, this is so bad it’s bad.
Finally gave up 20 minutes into episode two.
Dreadful.

BBbevan Thu 28-Nov-19 03:39:41

Just downloaded the book to my kindle for 49p. The tv program is not true to the book so far.I shall watch and read

Deedaa Wed 27-Nov-19 22:46:51

Well I'm enjoying it!

SueDonim Tue 26-Nov-19 23:33:10

I've never seen any version of WOTW or read the book so had no preconceptions. I quite enjoyed the first episode but this week's has me bamboozled. The time changes weren't helped by the fact that I'd recorded it and we seem to have had some mini-power cuts on Sunday evening, so I don't know which is which time warp and which is power cut. grin

Is that actually Woking in the programme? My son lives not far away but I'd never thought to go there. Maybe I should. Or maybe not! ☠️

Grannybags Tue 26-Nov-19 11:31:54

varian grin

We were wondering who the woman with the boy was. It took us a while to realise it was the same person!

Not bothering to watch any more

varian Tue 26-Nov-19 10:49:51

Is putting out "The War of the Worlds" at this time a ploy by the BBC to make us think that the threat of brexit's not that bad?

Chestnut Tue 26-Nov-19 10:46:32

War of the Worlds - more gloom and doom, dark, dismal and over dramatic. Not for me. The over use of CGI effects looked out of place in the Edwardian setting. Sadly, I feel the actors have been let down by the post production team who are trying to turn this into a Hollywood movie.

merlotgran Mon 25-Nov-19 19:39:29

I want to know how they conclude it.

So long as there's no hint of a follow up series I don't care what they do with it. grin

Mapleleaf Mon 25-Nov-19 19:19:59

Well, I have to say, I’m quite enjoying it. I agree the second episode was a bit confusing until I realised the characters were in the future, so flash forwards rather than flashbacks. The future looks quite bleak, doesn’t it?! Will watch next week, as I want to know how they conclude it.

Gonegirl Mon 25-Nov-19 09:24:50

Praise the Lord it finishes next week. Just need to get rid of the other load of junk now.

Franbern Mon 25-Nov-19 09:12:30

U enjoyed the first episode, but must admit I was totally confused at the second. Do not like 'time shifts' generally in tv drama. and these were totally confusing. Were they supposed to 'have happened' or 'might have happened'?
Not sure if they actually add anything to this, would have been better, IMO, just to keep to the simple linear story line. Will watch next week, just to see if they sort this out. But must say that I do not have much empathy for either of the two main characters.

Marilla Mon 25-Nov-19 09:11:31

I haven’t read The War of the Worlds. I was looking forward to watching this new series, but from what you are all writing, it seems this version is straying far from the original.
Should I just get on and read the book?

Nortsat46 Mon 25-Nov-19 08:53:46

I agree it’s confusing.
We lost the thread (at least) twice ... once when my partner asked me a question and then Amy (Demelza) seemed to have lost her husband again.
Then we made the mistake of pouring out a glass of wine and suddenly Robert Carlisle was there, wearing a face mask.

We both read the HG Wells story (decades ago) but that isn’t helping us to navigate through this programme. And sorry to be facile but Demelza’s wild hair (obviously to indicate chaos and disaster) is getting on my nerves ...

Resurgam123 Mon 25-Nov-19 08:28:16

Yes I read a lot of HG Wells many years ago.
This version was too visually dark . It would be better if we could actually see what is going on.
I really did enjoy his stuff though.