Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Elizabeth is Missing

(87 Posts)
Greenfinch Sat 07-Dec-19 12:56:19

This drama is on BBC 1 tomorrow at 9 pm and should be worth watching. I read the book several years ago and was very moved by it.It deals sensitively with the topic of dementia and has a very good storyline as well which was engrossing.The drama stars Glenda Jackson as Maud.If you are looking for something light hearted this is not for you but I would recommend it.If you do watch it ,please comment.

MerylStreep Wed 11-Dec-19 17:29:47

My friends father committed suicide in one of his lucid episodes ?

Greenfinch Wed 11-Dec-19 17:19:43

I understand that Dinahmo.My niece was diagnosed with early onset dementia in her thirties(Picks Disease).Now aged 40 she is bed ridden and incontinent and needs to be fed. It is very very sad especially for her parents.

Dinahmo Wed 11-Dec-19 17:01:06

I couldn't finish the book and certainly couldn't watch the film. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in her early fifties and thirty odd years later I'm unable to watch anything with a character suffering from dementia without crying.

Flossieturner Wed 11-Dec-19 15:11:46

Every Actor gave a first class performance. My award would go to the lady who played the daughter. The love, the tears, frustration and anger was so finely portrayed.

BlueBelle Wed 11-Dec-19 14:32:41

I m glad you’re sorted and you’re family all in agreement with you jura My own personal take is that we have to accept what’s given we have no choice being born and for me and it’s all personal I will have no choice in how and when I go I nursed my Nan for three years with Alzheimer’s and then my mum had it for over seven I m very very aware of how it plays out and very aware I m next in line I m ever optimistic it may miss me out, fingers crossed, but I ll have to accept what comes along as I would not have the ability or money to go to Switzerland and wouldn’t even if I had we each have our line of acceptance and hats off to you and your family for making that decision, I can’t

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:32:59

Yes, so hope she gets an award for this amazing, moving, performance.

She does look older than her age, probably because she is so thin.

Jane10 Wed 11-Dec-19 13:29:01

Very well written and acted programme. Such a difficult condition and how it affects families. sad

Bossyrossy Wed 11-Dec-19 12:56:40

It was brilliant in so many ways. Hope Glenda gets an award for her performance, she was outstanding.

jura2 Wed 11-Dec-19 12:49:55

Bluebell ''I now understand jura so is it done through the doctor or do you have to go to the clinic I m afraid I wouldn’t be able to go through the too early bit, ever an optimist me I d be thinking next week might be better etc''

I hesitate to say too much about this, as I know it is very close in many ways to event in some GN members. But I will answer your questions best I can and will always be happy to answer anymore by pm.

Multiple personal experiences show that, yes, next day might be better- but the decline will happen and probably faster than you think. So it is indeed a very very hard choice- but one we have made- too early is much much better than too late- because too late means the choice is taken away from you.

With EXIT in Switzerland- the 'help' to die properly and quickly, is always given at the person's home- who choose where- bed or favourite armchair. And the treating medical team is never involved- there is NO cross over from your doctor and nurses, and the 'deed'- none whatsover. You have to show that you are compos mentis on interview day, and again on THE day- and fully aware of what you are doing is permanent and irreversible. All taped, tape given to police straight after. NO possibility of slippery slope, undue influence or push ...

I am a fighter, and a joyful optimist too - but with Alzheimers- there is NO fighting that can be done, and no happy outcome- ever- as I have seen so many times. And every time I thought- THIS is something I never want to experience to inflict of my loved ones- never. After many discussions- they all agree this is my/our choice, and respect this.

endlessstrife Wed 11-Dec-19 12:48:07

We really enjoyed this, the comparison made between her present day mind deteriorating to forgetfulness, against the long term memory returning, such that she could remember what happened to her sister. A very serious issue dealt with, with some humour. Perfect!

ayse Wed 11-Dec-19 12:28:23

Just finished watching it this morning. What an excellent performance by all concerned. It makes me wonder how everyone manages with degenerative conditions and how their families can know what to do for the best.

This confirmed my decision that my children should not have me living with them, whatever the circumstances. BTW, Western Australia has just passed a law to allow voluntary assisted dying.

Grandma2213 Tue 10-Dec-19 01:15:14

Award winning performances all round especially Glenda Jackson. I was recording it but it came on screen and I did not move throughout the programme. It was heartbreaking, moving and funny too but it made me really think hard about my own future. As an extremely independent person the frustration of losing not only physical but mental capacity is a terrifying one to me and this was so well portrayed by Glenda Jackson. I am now seriously considering what to do in advance to avoid going down this road and causing suffering to myself but more so to my family.

bikergran Mon 09-Dec-19 19:35:46

Forgot to record it, hoping a can watch it on catch up! hmm

Blinko Mon 09-Dec-19 19:21:33

I watched it. I had read the book and agree it was so powerful. Glenda Jackson is still one of our foremost actors. A tour de force in this tv adaptation. I thought the part of the daughter was very accurate too. dealing with all the difficult stuff whilst Tom, the absent brother, gets all the kudos...

Altogether a very moving portrayal as well as being a gripping story in its own right.

Treebee Mon 09-Dec-19 19:07:49

A very powerful programme, wonderfully acted.
I thought that in the book the motivation behind the old woman following Sukie was explained, but I don’t think it was in the programme. Anyone with a better memory than me remember?

Lovetopaint037 Mon 09-Dec-19 19:00:52

Brilliant performance by an outstanding actor. Glenda, you have been missed.

BlueBelle Mon 09-Dec-19 18:45:56

My maternal Nan had it and her daughter my mum which doesn’t bode well for me although I think both were different in the fact that nans seemed vascular dementia and Mums Alzheimer’s I don’t know if that has any bearing on it but that’s my handle to get through
I now understand jura so is it done through the doctor or do you have to go to the clinic I m afraid I wouldn’t be able to go through the too early bit, ever an optimist me I d be thinking next week might be better etc

QuaintIrene Mon 09-Dec-19 17:49:46

I thought it was very moving and did the book justice.
Glenda Jackson was perfect for this. I like Judi Dench but it made a change for an oldie role to go to someone else.
I wonder if there is a genetic element to this illness. Some families really get hammered by it. It’s not anywhere in mine as far as I know.
I am still thinking about it.

CosyCrafter Mon 09-Dec-19 17:49:29

I've just watched this on the I-player... did not read the book as often avoid that sort of thing as my dad is 90 and has alzheimers but I am glad I watched it, difficult and moving and agree Glenda Jackson was fabulous.

Callistemon Mon 09-Dec-19 17:39:38

I didn't notice either as my mum was 39 when I was born and my dad quite a bit older.
And we too are older parents.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 17:36:07

grannyticktock- my mum was 40 when I was born- so for me, the daughter's age seemed right.

trisher Mon 09-Dec-19 17:32:53

Brilliant acting. Hope Glenda Jackson gets an award for this!!!

grannyticktock Mon 09-Dec-19 14:00:33

I thought GJ's acting was terrific. Her expressions, her speech and her mannerisms reminded me a lot of my dear departed, demented stepmum. It is not often I cry during a film or a drama, but I found myself wishing I had known how to be kinder to her towards the end. The scene where Maud fails to recognise her daughter and then cries because she realises that this has happened, that did it for me.

The daughter looked a bit young, though. The script suggests that Maud was in her late 80s, and the daughter didn't look more than early 40s. Many people who are trying to organise care for an elderly parent are already past retirement age themselves, and struggling with their own problems. By the time my stepmum died at 94, both my sister-in-law and I had lost our husbands, so we were coping with our own bereavements and health problems too.

silverlining48 Mon 09-Dec-19 13:00:41

I met Glenda Jackson in the early 80 s when we were both applying to study. She wanted to stop acting and go into politics, I just wanted to finish my education which had ended at 15. We spent a very happy day together, she took me to lunch, and we chatted about every day family and other unrelated to Showbusiness things. She was lovely company.
I watched last nights Elizabeth and think the acting was excellent, not only GJ but the rest of the cast, it was very true to life and the piece where Maud suddenly did not recognise her daughter at the bus stop was heartbreaking as I remembered when that happened to me.
Now that GJ has left politics I hope to see more of her on screen. She has always been a star.

jura2 Mon 09-Dec-19 11:54:01

Sara65- the way the Law is at the moment- you have to make a decision and go when you are still sufficiently compos mentis- meaning 'too early'. For me, too early is better than too late.

Both my sils used to say the same- left it too late- and it was too late- they had to go through to the bitter, undignified end- One still is. I don't want this- so too early it will have to be- if either of us are unlucky enough to be struck by this awful disease. I am so sorry if this shocks some- but this is the way it is for us.