Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

A Christmas Carol

(53 Posts)
Yehbutnobut Sun 22-Dec-19 22:27:00

Did anyone watch it tonight? I did because part of it was filmed just up the road from us (last summer, artificial snow), but this was the best I’ve seen.

Looking forward to next two episodes

phoenix Mon 23-Dec-19 17:24:13

As mentioned ^ really enjoyed it, sort of deliciously dark! it

The swearing doesn't really bother me, it's only the occasional word, not like some who seem to use it as punctuation. Surely even delicate flowers can sort of overlook, or "tune out" that, rather than clutch their pearls in horror?

Ok, if you found it slow, or boring, but to dismiss it on account of the odd swear word seems a bit much.

Fiachna50 Mon 23-Dec-19 18:35:15

I enjoyed it but I love Guy Pearce, think he's a brilliant actor. It certainly is a divisive drama, but it certainly has everyone talking about Charles Dickens. Im looking forward to tonights, but I agree definitely not for children.

Doodledog Mon 23-Dec-19 19:02:18

I half watched it, but have it on series record to watch after Christmas, or when I have the house to myself, so I can see it in peace.

Oopsminty Mon 23-Dec-19 19:27:45

One of the worst adaptations I've seen

And I've seen a few

The way Bob Cratchet spoke. Inane. And he'd have been out on his ear

Asking Scrooge if he's OK. Not his usual self?

Dreadful but typical of our 'woke' BBC

SueDonim Mon 23-Dec-19 19:43:52

I enjoyed it. It was slow but i felt it was scene-setting for the main event, if you like. It had many references to our contemporary world and our history, which I thought was interesting.

Oopsminty Mon 23-Dec-19 20:06:36

Horses for courses as my Grandma would say

I'd rather watch the Muppets

SueDonim Mon 23-Dec-19 20:28:30

I can watch the Muppets, too! grin

JessK Mon 23-Dec-19 21:18:31

It's an interesting adaptation bar the swearing but I watched the 1951 version with Alistair Sim a couple of days ago and I just love that film.

Labaik Mon 23-Dec-19 22:11:53

As the writer explained, if Dickens was alive now he'd probably be writing for tv. I think we have to forget that it's A Christmas Carol but look on it as a study into what influences make people what they are and what can make them change. He did say he looked for clues within the book. I think I'll probably watch it properly after Christmas and watch it as a whole. I do love Guy Pearce; always up for something new and challenging.

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Dec-19 22:16:52

I'm enjoying it. It's been sexed up a bit, of course, but yes, if Dickens were alive now I think his version would probably have been more like this. Looking forward to seeing how they deal with the ending.

Pittcity Mon 23-Dec-19 22:44:48

The second episode was much better and really shed a light on why Scrooge was the way he was. DH says that Mrs C will be "polishing his fireplace!"

Maggiemaybe Mon 23-Dec-19 22:52:43

Well that's one way of putting it, Pittcity! grin

Alexa Tue 24-Dec-19 07:40:26

First episodes were relevant and inspiring. That bit about the abused boy who was too numbed to feel gratitude to his sister was very sad and I do want to find out how he recovered.

Yehbutnobut Tue 24-Dec-19 08:15:06

Couldn’t believe it when the credits rolled up. No! I want more don’t stop there.

LadyGracie Tue 24-Dec-19 10:53:33

I read about it, so didn't watch it. I love the classics but prefer them unadulterated.

Franbern Tue 24-Dec-19 11:37:29

Thought it a good up to date version of this tale. For those who want to watch it in traditional form, there are loads out there, but thought this was good, atmospheric and interesting. Quite easy to overlook the occasion f ....word.

gulligranny Tue 24-Dec-19 12:40:06

Watched the first episode, thought it was pretentious and dire, not watching any more.

shysal Wed 25-Dec-19 10:01:04

I wasn't keen on the first episode, but by the third I was gripped! Very well done in my opinion.

MiniMoon Wed 25-Dec-19 18:01:48

I absolutely love the book.
I've seen all the film adaptations of A Christmas Carol.
I've only seen the first episode of this one, but quite enjoyed it.
I hope that there is more humour in the rest of it, as I found the book very funny.
I'll have to wait and see.

Grandma2213 Thu 26-Dec-19 14:53:21

Couldn't wait to watch it after the first episode. I loved it once I'd accepted that it wasn't the 'traditional interpretation'. I think I've learned, as I age, that you can appreciate both old and new in different ways. I agree that a modern day Dickens would have written it this way, the right combination of tension, sadness, joy and just enough humour.

trisher Thu 26-Dec-19 16:28:38

Watched first episode but it' making me cross. You can adapt but there are things you shouldn't change what happened to ^"and decrease the surplus population" which apparently referred to a popular theory at the time www.forbes.com/sites/jerrybowyer/2012/12/24/malthus-and-scrooge-how-charles-dickens-put-holly-branch-through-the-heart-of-the-worst-economics-ever/#4004a403672d
Then there's the size of all the accommodation. It's all so huge!
The original is funny because of the timing involved it's lost in this adaptation.
As for changing things for a TV adaptation, this is a biter slow most TV dramas move much more quickly. I'll look at the next episodes but I'm not impressed.

NanKate Mon 30-Dec-19 19:20:29

Just seen the last episode, brilliant and very different from what I expected. Guy Pearce/Scrooge what a great actor. The whole cast were well chosen.

M0nica Mon 30-Dec-19 19:36:13

I read the book every Christmas but I didn't bother to watch the new adaptation. For me the film version of the book that best reflects the quintescence of the book is actually The Muppet Christmas Carol, with Scrooge brilliantly played by Michael Caine.

MiniMoon Mon 30-Dec-19 19:40:06

Where was the Turkey for the Cratchit family?
Although I enjoyed it, I struggled with the volume. I don't think it's my hearing, because I can hear other things as just fine.

Very different, but I do wish they wouldn't mess around with an already good story.

NotSpaghetti Mon 30-Dec-19 20:28:28

We thought it was so dreadful we turned it off.
Someone up-thread said it was like Marmite... I like Marmite.
It was very, very, dull and we felt it was poorly acted too.