Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The play/show that goes wrong

(33 Posts)
Franbern Tue 24-Dec-19 10:24:30

Last night was the first episode from this wonderful!! AmDram society. Over the past two years they have given me some real enjoyable 'laugh out loud' times with their Peter Pan and Christmas Tale. Now we are being treated to six short episodes of their plays.
Brilliant last night - really looking forward to seeing the rest of them next year.
Entertainment at its very best

Ohmother Sat 01-Feb-20 21:32:30

I loved The Play... and the Christmas and Peter Pan. I loved the first of this series but like an earlier poster I thing having a series to soon and too near to each other. I need to forget it’s going to go do wrong to enjoy the shock. I now really like rather than love the series.

Deedaa Sat 01-Feb-20 20:33:34

I laughed out loud several times this week

Alishka Fri 31-Jan-20 11:23:38

I 100% agree with you Franbern - and yes, I'm a Lee Mack fan toogrin

Franbern Wed 29-Jan-20 14:17:31

I just so much enjoy these- such a change from most tv shows which are all about murder etc. Must say I also enjoy sitcoms like Outnumbered, Not Going Out and also enjoy Would I lie You. As can be seen I am quite a Lee Mack fan!!!
TBH, I want my television to entertain me, and even make me laugh and feel good, do not want horrible reality shows and intense dramas.

POGS Wed 29-Jan-20 10:58:52

I really enjoyed the past t. v shows, especially Peter Pan but having looked forward to the new series of shows I find they are not as funny.

I have 2 left to watch and will stick with it but something is falling a tad short for me and I feel mean for saying so oddly.

I liked David Suchet as the narrator and miss that role.

Lovetopaint037 Wed 29-Jan-20 09:59:34

We saw the Play That Went Wrong at the Duchess theatre. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen on a stage. Seen theBank Robbery one which was also funny but was different and good but not quite as funny.

Alishka Wed 22-Jan-20 20:23:51

I was at home today, waiting in for a delivery, so was able to catch up with all the episodes. Great compensation for the non-delivery of my goods.....now! what can I catch up on tomorrow? (the first person who says "housework" can just go take a running leapwinkgrin)

tidyskatemum Tue 21-Jan-20 19:57:09

I saw the Peter Pan one at the Lowry in Manchester. I'm afraid it left me cold - just too OTT for me, not helped by someone in the row behind giving a running commentary in between hysterical guffaws. We left during the interval, as did several other people. Just not my thing.

Auntieflo Tue 21-Jan-20 19:40:10

Apologies Gaunt, but I see that Cunco and I cross posted.
As Phoenix would say, 'as you were'.

Gaunt47 Tue 21-Jan-20 18:33:36

Oh I see - the emoji. Duh!!!

Gaunt47 Tue 21-Jan-20 18:32:44

Auntieflo thank you, but what is for me from your iPad!!!

felice Tue 21-Jan-20 10:23:55

I love it, laugh out loud funny, I was involved with amdram for many years and it is all so true to life, great show0

Auntieflo Tue 21-Jan-20 09:50:50

?. Gaunt, this is for you from my IPad

Cunco Mon 20-Jan-20 22:14:37

?

Deedaa Fri 17-Jan-20 22:28:01

Apparently Penn and Teller helped with the Magic show.

Gaunt47 Fri 17-Jan-20 22:01:06

I love the series on BBC TV, and would very much like to see the 'Magic Goes Wrong' show in London. Wonderfully silly and innocent stuff, and laugh out loud - we need an emoji of a smiley face with tears of laughter!

Cunco Fri 17-Jan-20 21:34:19

My wife and I have seen 3 of their shows in London, enjoyed them all (especially the Bank robbery) and have booked to see 'Magic Goes Wrong'; but, like lemongrove we've been less enthusiastic about the TV shows. Tonight's horror show had its moments but when you expect things to go wrong, they seem less funny, even hackneyed, when they do. Also, there is too much repetition for a series of 4 on TV. On stage, you get a large helping but time to digest and forget, ready to view the next one with greater anticipation.

trisher Fri 17-Jan-20 19:18:37

The Pilot Show (not the pilot show) is brilliant. Loved it.

Nandalot Fri 27-Dec-19 21:14:36

I didn’t find this Christmas one very funny thought the rest of the family did. However, saw the bank robbery that went wrong at theatre and really enjoyed it. The sets and special effects were really good.

NanKate Fri 27-Dec-19 20:53:15

Thanks AuntieFlo,

Yehbutnobut Thu 26-Dec-19 22:29:23

Thanks for that info. I must get it on CatchUp.

Auntieflo Thu 26-Dec-19 22:14:14

NanKate, it was on BBC1, on Monday evening at 7.30 pm.
23rd Dec.

NanKate Thu 26-Dec-19 21:24:28

What is the name of this series please ? Can’t find it on BBCIPlayer.

lemongrove Thu 26-Dec-19 20:47:25

The short Christmas play the other night had some funny moments ( yes, the snowman caught in the mangle/ toy machine was definitely a good one) but overall fell short of say, Peter Pan Goes Wrong or others IMHO.
Too short 30 mins perhaps?

grannyticktock Thu 26-Dec-19 18:16:28

The Christmas one was great, it had all of us howling with laughter - my family do a bit of am-dram and could really relate to the mistakes with the wrong props, prompts etc, and the cast generally improvising their way through the disasters . I' m looking forward to further plays in the series.