Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Death in Paradise

(34 Posts)
annsixty Sat 11-Jan-20 10:08:26

So very disappointed in the first of the new series.
It has always been lightweight and frothy but lovely scenery and likeable main characters.
No longer, sadly, the two women are not my cup of tea at all and the solving of the mystery a laugh.
Another series well past its best.

Fiachna50 Thu 23-Jan-20 18:26:21

Minimoon, thanks for that. I didn't know Ardal was leaving, thats a shame. Like yourself I really miss the previous cast. I do not know Ralf Little at all, so will just need to watch it and see what it is like when he joins after Ardal.

MiniMoon Thu 23-Jan-20 13:18:00

He is leaving Fiachna50. Ralf Little is taking the part of the new detective.
Madeleine Dumas is the new sergeant, she was originally called in from France to investigate Inspector Mooney, she decided to stay on as she was impressed by his methods!
I must say that I miss previous characters. I liked Dwayne and Camille.

Fiachna50 Thu 23-Jan-20 12:44:24

I cannot stand Ruby, though thankfully they seem to have calmed her down a bit. All that manic stuff really grates on me. Does anyone know if Ardal O' Hanlon is preparing to leave the series? It's just Im wondering how his romance is going to play out? I cannot see his lady friend staying on the island. Have to say Im not enjoying this series as much, I think it's reaching the end of the line. What does everyone else think?

Mapleleaf Fri 17-Jan-20 18:54:05

I quite enjoy it for what it is - lighthearted fun. It’s an easy watch. I quite like Ruby, but really miss Dwayne - he had some cracking lines.

JessK Fri 17-Jan-20 10:25:33

I used to really like this programme but Ardal O'Hanlan seems to look so uncomfortable in the role it just doesn't work any more. Such a shame as the idea is a good one. Agatha Christie in the sun.

Juliet27 Fri 17-Jan-20 09:04:01

Ralf Little also does the narration for Monkey Life

cornergran Fri 17-Jan-20 08:59:20

I used to look forward to this series but sadly I’m not finding this one engaging. Mr C likes it. Good job we’re all different.

LullyDully Fri 17-Jan-20 08:49:10

callistimomWhen I say the second detective I meant the second on command, that is the new woman. Not even sure of her name. She has no chemistry with anyone. Sorry not to be clear.

dragonfly46 Thu 16-Jan-20 22:12:30

I like it!

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 22:02:22

Alexander Vlahos was in it. He was in Merlin.

lucywinter Thu 16-Jan-20 22:00:00

That was a really good one tonight. Perhaps it's looking up.

endlessstrife Thu 16-Jan-20 10:17:23

We all watch and enjoy this. We didn’t like the last girl, the one who’s just left. My daughter would say she’s straight out of drama school. The new one seems much better. It’s all a bit tongue in cheek isn’t it?

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 09:57:40

Detective not defective!!

Oh dear

Callistemon Thu 16-Jan-20 09:57:01

LulluDully he was the third defective (Ben Miller was the first)

I think they have now 'lost the plot' - literally.

Quite well-known faces guest star in it sometimes and I think 'there's another one who wants a jolly in the Caribbean at the BBC licence payers' expense'.

Perhaps it was time to plug the plug.

Blinko Thu 16-Jan-20 09:14:34

You're right, Annsixty I never watched The Royle Family. Nor Fools and Horses for that matter. Not my sort of thing.

Harris27 Sat 11-Jan-20 17:12:11

Miss Dwayne he was a major part of the series. Shame still watch it though. Ruby bit of a comedy act. Prefer old actors.

LullyDully Sat 11-Jan-20 17:11:31

It has become dreary. The second detective has no personality so far. The Irishman has given up. The male
policeman was non existent and Ruby just annoying. It has never been an intellectual experience watching Death in Paradise but at least it was a bit of fun.

lucywinter Sat 11-Jan-20 17:06:08

Kris Marshall! Callistemon said it.

lucywinter Sat 11-Jan-20 17:05:07

This has always been one of the most boring programmes put on by the BBC. Was sightly redeemed by that nice young feller whose name I can't remember.

WadesNan Sat 11-Jan-20 17:00:09

I also find the Ruby character very annoying, can't make up my mind about the new sergeant

Hopefully64 Sat 11-Jan-20 16:54:49

Once Dwyane left no point in watching .
Watching all the old one on Netflix much better.

kittylester Sat 11-Jan-20 15:59:50

I quite like Ruby! blush

yggdrasil Sat 11-Jan-20 12:19:26

It is Ruby who I find very annoying.

Yehbutnobut Sat 11-Jan-20 12:19:10

Disappointing wasn’t it? Who’s the new female sergeant. Total lack of animation and acting ability and yes, the plot! Solved it before he did. ??????

Maggymay Sat 11-Jan-20 11:43:19

Ralf Little is best known as Anthony in The Royle Family.