Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Murder trial - the disappearance of Margaret Fleming

(12 Posts)
Littleannie Sat 11-Jan-20 21:00:49

Did anybody see this? It is the actual recording of a murder trial in Glasgow. It is totally gripping. It was on BBC2 a few days ago, and can be seen on I-player. I won't say what happened, as I wouldn't want to spoil it for you.

oldgimmer1 Sat 11-Jan-20 22:51:41

It was gripping and very, very sad.

Poor Margaret.

Chestnut Sat 11-Jan-20 23:09:13

I wanted to watch this but lost concentration when they started talking about the various routes she could have walked. It just couldn't hold my attention I'm afraid.

Chewbacca Sat 11-Jan-20 23:18:22

I watched it on iPlayer last night and found it terribly sad that no one had noticed Margaret had been gone for almost 2 decades. It seemed that the poor lass must have suffered greatly at the hands of Jones and Cairney. Avril Jones was chilling and I subsequently read that she's refused to apply for a retrial because she's fallen in love with her cell mate and doesn't want to be separated from her.

Jane43 Sun 12-Jan-20 15:15:12

It was very disturbing to see how somebody can be let down by the authorities for so long. Does anybody know who the house actually belonged to, it was in a lovely location.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 12-Jan-20 15:21:10

I found this very sad too. I might have misunderstood but I thought the house belonged to the two 'carers' - one of the witnesses expressed surprise that they'd been appointed guardians of this young girl as they could barely look after themselves and their property, let alone anyone else.
I was surprised but gladdened by at the verdict.

jo1book Sun 12-Jan-20 15:23:13

I found it very disturbing; especially the attitude of the accused pair. Didn't they say the chap accused was something to do with diving? She is probably at the bottom of the sea.

sharon103 Sun 12-Jan-20 15:30:37

I watched it and found it very sad.
I hope one day they will say where Margaret is. I doubt that though. The verdict was the right one.
Evil pair.

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 16:13:32

I watched it and I too found it very disturbing that someone can just disappear seemingly so easyJet, it was incredibly sad Poor Margaret

I was fascinated by the barrister whose wig was on the ‘huh’ it was just never quite straight or quite on his head in the correct position

BlueBelle Sun 12-Jan-20 16:15:06

Oh dear predictive blooming text not EasyJet just ‘easy’

Sheena Tue 14-Jan-20 15:37:03

I watched this too, and like others found it quite disturbing...yes, how on earth had poor Margaret been missing for so long, and no-one had seemingly noticed ? But at the end when the pair were found guilty and the verdict announced... there was not a flicker on either of their faces... no blink, or gasp, ... nothing. I found that really chilling .

oldgimmer1 Tue 14-Jan-20 17:23:28

Yes, makes you wonder how it went on for so long.

Apparently Margaret's mother gave evidence at the trial, except we didn't see it. She'd had contact with SS over Margaret but it fell through. Not sure how old Margaret would have been at that point. I gather the mother went to see Margaret at Seacroft to take her from Margaret and Eddie but there's no evidence to back that up.

So Margaret ended up with Eddie and Avril, who used her as a cashpoint to claim benefits.

I think the house belonged to Eddie-apparently he'd been pretty well paid for his work at one point.

I agree she's probably in the sea.