Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Netflix recommendations please

(127 Posts)
Esspee Sun 12-Jan-20 15:59:30

On holiday at the moment and after dinner we are too exhausted to do anything other than read or watch TV. We would appreciate recommendations on good programmes on Netflix as we have started watching several but given up.

Delila Wed 15-Jul-20 11:33:33

Yes, travelsafar, David is adorable, and I love Moira's eccentricity, her vocabulary and wardrobe, and her "girls" (her wigs) which have a whole wall devoted to them. All the characters are great - they must have had a lot of fun together making the show.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 15-Jul-20 10:18:30

Such useful thread. I've posted comment before with recommendations but I following up what others have recommended.

Thank you - Loving 'The Stranger'. On Ep7 now. Binge watching.

travelsafar Wed 15-Jul-20 09:51:04

Delila i too love Schitt's Creek. It is sooo funny and i love all the characters. David {the son} is my favorite i think, although it is hard to choose between them. smile

annep1 Wed 15-Jul-20 09:01:53

I might consider that Delila, after a break.

For those who enjoyed Breaking Bad, you might enjoy True Detective on amazon.

Delila Tue 14-Jul-20 20:00:59

annpl,I'm enjoying Schitt's Creek just as much second time around. All the characters are very endearing, with their funny little mannerisms, but they all have more to them than first appears.

I loved Madmen too!

rite Tue 14-Jul-20 19:11:24

I think you really need to watch Breaking Bad and El Camino before you watch Better Call Saul. All brilliant but beware of the violence! The Money Heist is compulsive viewing, a Spanish series, dubbed but not like in the good old days!
Can't wait for the next series of Stranger Things. Now watching The Last Kingdom, Bernard Cornwall. Really good but a bit gory. Five Rooms on BBCiplayer is an Australian production, 1 series, nice and easy going! So much to see not enough time!

kircubbin2000 Tue 14-Jul-20 18:38:07

Sex education, breaking bad, better call Saul.Dark is good but a bit strange . Some good French things on more 4 and a Spanish one night and day I think.

annep1 Tue 14-Jul-20 17:04:33

It is Delila. I was so sorry when I finished. The only other time I felt like that was with MadMen. But I think a new series might be a mistake.

I loved when David sang Simply the Best. I loved Roland's character too. Good to see him in something else- he was in Everybody loves Raymond. But really they are all brilliant.

Delila Tue 14-Jul-20 12:15:25

Schitt's Creek is a gem, isn't it. Wonderful characters, all of them, who keep growing as the six series develop, and stay with you long after you've finished watching. So many loveable qualities. And so funny!

annep1 Tue 14-Jul-20 09:52:53

I'm watching Anne with an R. Just finished Schitts Creek. Loved it! David was my favourite character. I googled afterwards and discovered that he his dad and Twyla are family in real life.

Iam64 Tue 07-Jul-20 10:16:20

Flossie, I find most Netflix programmes great as long as not taken too seriously. The exception to this that immediately springs to mind is Filthy Rich, which I found impossible not to take very seriously.

Flossieturner Tue 07-Jul-20 09:21:33

I have just watched the first 2 series of the Politician. It was great as long as you don’t take it too seriously.

Teetime Tue 07-Jul-20 09:15:35

We watched 'The Jones Family' yesterday entertaining and glossy but a serious message about consumerism.

TerriBull Tue 07-Jul-20 08:18:05

We have Netflix, haven't watched an awful lot on it though. "The Crown", "Unbelievable" both very good. Loved "The Irishman" very long watched that over several nights. Also "The Stranger" was ok. Unorthodox comes highly recommended so will give that a go, at the moment with both Netflix and Amazon Prime I almost feel there's too much to choose from and I only like to view for a couple of hours in the evening. I inadvertently subscribed to Amazon Prime, when like everyone else ordered more stuff on line during the lockdown. Kept it going so I could watch "Little Fires Everywhere" having read the book, finished that now. I'm wading through the first series of "This is Us" but it's so overlaid with sickly sentiment, at times, I'm wondering if I can keep going with it, everyone else seems to like it. The French series "Spiral" mentioned upthread, now there's a series devoid of any such sugar coating, gritty and tough, I love it, it can't come back soon enough for me, I believe they are making another series, fingers crossed.

Alypoole Tue 07-Jul-20 08:00:48

I enjoyed Unorthodox but as someone else said I find Netflix difficult to choose from as I have to search for something whereas Amazon Prime presents me with options but thank you for all these suggestions.

Eloethan Mon 06-Jul-20 22:38:36

I wouldn't say a particular genre Whitewave.

I've very much enjoyed Line of Duty, Vera, Shetland and the French series Spiral. I liked the fairly recent drama series The Nest, The Split and the continuations of Cold Feet and Last Tango in Halifax. Two of the comedies I've enjoyed are Ladhood and Motherland.

I just find these long series a bit tedious and so many of them seem to be long and sometimes quite laboured.

EllanVannin Mon 06-Jul-20 22:24:09

I watched a film called Harlow last night, a biography on the life of Jean Harlow who sadly died aged 26 of kidney failure due to her alcoholism.
It wasn't too heavy a film for a late night's watching.

Iam64 Mon 06-Jul-20 22:06:04

I've watched more television since lockdown than in any other period of my life. My concentration dipped about 8 weeks in and I couldn't get excited about watching anything much. Then I watched Filthy Rich - staggering corruption in the way the first investigation concluded. I felt for the police officers who conducted a good investigation but didn't see the offender sentenced appropriately, or imprisoned in the way any ordinary person would be.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 21:10:15

Is there a particular genre that you enjoy eleothan?

Eloethan Mon 06-Jul-20 20:20:06

I'm obviously in a minority. I haven't been enjoying Netflix.

Ozark was recommended to me but although I initially quite enjoyed it I eventually lost interest because I didn't like most of the characters.

AfterLife was a great story and some good acting but, for me, spoilt by over use of the word cunt. I don't mind that much about swearing but I find the aggressive use of a word relating to women's genitalia offensive. Also, I didn't like the psychotherapist's very explicit sexual references (I realise it was meant to be satirical but nevertheless ...).

Perhaps I should have persevered with Unorthodox but I found the ease with which she "escaped" and managed without any material resources a bit difficult to believe.

The only things that I really like - Line of Duty and Unforgotten - I've already seen - in fact, LoD I've watched twice.

It must be just me - or it's something to do with the current situation because I'm not watching with any degree of concentration much of anything on TV now - because loads of people watch Netflix now.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 19:47:24

Has the Irishman been mentioned?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 06-Jul-20 19:46:19

I think the trouble with Netflix is the way it is presented. I find I’m clicking along the lines not fancying anything but usually when I do watch something it is always good.

Greeneyedgirl Mon 06-Jul-20 18:18:30

We have just joined up to Netflix and what a brilliant timely thread this is.

Couldn’t see anything we fancied, but now have lots of ideas. Watched 2 Popes and thought that was good for starters.

Daisyanswerdo Mon 06-Jul-20 18:00:09

Going back a bit - I'm being nostalgic and watching Danny Kaye movies. He was an amazing and versatile talent, as well as an ambassador for UNICEF.

Jane43 Sun 05-Jul-20 21:23:03

Macgran, I would love there to be a fourth series of Anne with an ‘E’. I thought the casting was wonderful and I enjoyed every minute but it was always my favourite book when I was a child.

Whitewavemark2 yes Filthy Money is very good, I will probably watch it again now Ghislaine Maxwell has been arrested. Dirty Money is also very good and the episode about Jared Kushner is a real eye opener.