Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

(12 Posts)
Pittcity Sun 12-Jan-20 22:47:54

If you can get to the cinema to see this I can highly recommend it. It needs a big screen to appreciate it.

rosecarmel Sun 12-Jan-20 23:07:42

I think I will catch tomorrow's matinee- Enjoyed Dunkirk on the big screen-

Jane43 Mon 13-Jan-20 10:49:32

Hoping to see this some time in the week. Would it be worth paying extra to see it on the IMAX?

Pittcity Mon 13-Jan-20 13:10:20

We just went to the normal screening and were completely absorbed. It was quite realistic so any more clarity might have been too much for me in places!

Greenfinch Sat 18-Jan-20 09:25:01

Weare looking forward to seeing it on Wednesday.

oldgimmer1 Sat 25-Jan-20 22:02:16

Loved it. It was like being smacked in the chops. smile.

Hope it gets some recognition. Excellent film.

Greenfinch Sun 26-Jan-20 08:28:12

I enjoyed it though it is not the type of film I would have chosen (I won the tickets on GN).The acting was superb and the storyline gripping. It gave me some idea of what my grandfather (killed in 1917) went through.

Gfplux Sun 26-Jan-20 19:48:10

Great film. So clever.

TerriBull Fri 07-Feb-20 08:40:52

Late to seeing 1917, saw it last night. Amazing filming, really captured the essence of such an awful time and parts of it, edge of the seat stuff. It's a worthy winner of the awards that it has won and any prospective Oscars that it picks up.

BlueBelle Fri 07-Feb-20 08:49:36

I don’t like war films so didn’t go but my friend and her son individually both went last week (not together they live opposite sides of the country) and both said they didn’t enjoy it at all, They are both war film followers isn’t it funny how people see things in such different ways My friend was so excited to go and very disappointed
It’s certainly got lots of awards

TerriBull Fri 07-Feb-20 08:54:34

I'm not such a great war film fan either BB, this film was more my husband's choice. However, glad to have seen it at the cinema, it needs a big screen to do it justice, not sure it would have the same impact when it eventually arrives on tv.

Pittcity Fri 07-Feb-20 15:19:27

I wouldn't say it was a War Film even though it is set during the Great War. DH picked holes in the historical inaccuracy and I have many questions, such as where did the convoy suddenly appear from?
I recommend it as it kept me interested throughout. I am prone to losing the thread but the simple linear story was more about humanity than war.
Very deserving of 7 BAFTAs.