Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Windemere Children

(12 Posts)
Chestnut Sun 26-Jan-20 14:18:14

The Windemere Children
Drama of the week Monday night BBC2 at 9pm.
A fact-based drama following a group of children who survived the Nazi holocaust and arrive in Windemere for rehabilitation in 1945.
Then on BBC4 at 10.30pm The Windemere Children: in their own words tells the story of this project and includes first hand testimony of the survivors.
This all looks very interesting.

Susan56 Sun 26-Jan-20 14:28:51

Thank you Chestnut.Will definitely watch this.

merlotgran Sun 26-Jan-20 14:31:50

Looking forward to watching this.

Nannylovesshopping Sun 26-Jan-20 14:42:28

I watched Night will fall, the story of a shelved documentary about the nazi concentration camps last night, harrowing, a look into hell.

Chestnut Sun 26-Jan-20 14:45:56

There's also The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas on tonight at 11pm on BBC2. A definite must-see if you haven't already. I won't say anything other than I couldn't get it out of my mind afterwards. Rather late so you may have to record it.

Grandma2213 Wed 29-Jan-20 01:06:47

I watched The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas again on Sunday though I had no intention of doing so as I knew how it affected me the first time. I had terrible dreams all night. My 12 year old grandson was shown this at school and I am not sure how I feel about this. Yes our children need to be aware but knowing how I felt I worry about the effect on him.
I have just watched 'The Windermere Children' and again have dissolved in tears. What amazing work was done with these children even before there was full understanding of the psychological damage that must have been done. I missed the Survivors' own words programme but will try to find it. The resilience of children is remarkable but there must be lasting mental scars.
Sadly there are still so many children from war zones who need this kind of support. I don't have any answers.

Sussexborn Wed 29-Jan-20 02:27:07

I read TheBoy in the Striped Pyjamas quite a while ago and remember how shocking the ending was.

The Windermere Children was excellent and so well produced and directed. Brilliantly telling the story warts and all but not in a saccharine way. My OH didn’t talk over it or rustle his newspaper once!

Chestnut Wed 29-Jan-20 09:27:32

I'm shocked that they showed the Pyjamas movie to 12 year olds, too young in my opinion. I don't think the Holocaust should be covered at that age, 15 would be more appropriate.

KatyK Wed 29-Jan-20 09:33:41

Our granddaughter was shown The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas at school when she was 11. She was traumatised. I watched it to see what it was about. It was awful.

merlotgran Wed 29-Jan-20 09:39:22

I thought the Windermere Children was a heart warming, uplifting story. The slow healing of tortured souls by kindness, care and the beauty of the natural world.

So good to know that those who were featured went on to lead successful and contented lives.

Chestnut Wed 29-Jan-20 10:22:12

That may be illegal showing Pyjamas to 11 year olds KatyK because it has a 12 classification (still too young imo). Parents should take this up with the school, it's certainly not appropriate. What on earth are they thinking? I think you have to keep a careful watch on what they do in schools these days, what they teach them and what they show them.
The other thing they are showing in schools is They Shall Not Grow Old, the colourised footage from WW1 which is shocking, amazing, but unmissable for adults and maybe 16 plus age group. Definitely not for the younger ones, but one can only wonder what age they are showing that.

KatyK Wed 29-Jan-20 12:31:57

I'm pretty sure she was 11 Chestnut she was in junior school. She's 19 now so it was a while ago. I'm sure the school got complaints.