Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Holocaust movie dilemma!

(22 Posts)
ananimous Mon 27-Jan-20 17:25:59

I'm trying to track this movie title down...

A Jewish man and his son are sent to a camp during the holocaust- but throughout their journey the man protects his son from the horror by pretending things are not what they seem.

Any ideas?
TIA

MerylStreep Mon 27-Jan-20 17:30:38

Is it, Life is Beautiful ?

ananimous Mon 27-Jan-20 17:34:29

YES! Awesome, thanks! @MerylStreep

MerylStreep Mon 27-Jan-20 17:44:31

ananimous
I've never heard of the film.
Al I did was search Holocaust film + man protects son.
The important part is the + because that filters out all other information. You can use the + as many times as you want in a search.

ananimous Mon 27-Jan-20 20:19:46

Great tip, thankyou.

ananimous Tue 28-Jan-20 11:51:56

Watch this movie if you get the chance - No surprised it got so many awards!

P.S.
You would have to have a heart of stone not to weep several times.

ananimous Tue 24-Mar-20 21:02:52

Anyone else binge-watching movies? grin

SuzannahM Tue 24-Mar-20 21:12:35

Me ! grin

Not really bingeing exactly. One of our projects for this lockdown is to copy all our DVDs (about 500) onto a hard drive so I can get rid of all the DVDs. So far we've copied five hmm. The problem is we have to watch them after copying them to make sure that they have copied correctly before getting rid of the DVD. They 're not copied in any order, just as they're grabbed off a shelf - so far we've watched Casablanca, Pelican Brief, Suspect, The Sentinel and The Muppets Christmas Carol. Only about 495 to go.

MissAdventure Tue 24-Mar-20 21:23:27

grin

ananimous Tue 24-Mar-20 21:29:47

Just finished:

Groundhog day
House sitter
Seven Years in Tibet
Inn of the 6th happiness
The great escape
and
Judy

JackyB Tue 24-Mar-20 23:10:37

Here are the details. It's a great film!

Witzend Wed 25-Mar-20 08:20:06

That was a truly wonderful film. I’d love to see it again.

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 09:49:42

grin wink

Fennel Wed 25-Mar-20 11:26:46

I heard about the film when it first came out but never watched it. Good idea to watch now thanks for the link JackyB.
It seems to have been made by Italians.
My favourite series is Montalbano - evidently Lucca Zinzaretti is a Jew, from his mother's side.

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 11:45:28

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL4McUzXfFI

Jo Jo Rabbit

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 11:54:49

I knew immediately you were searching for Life is Beautiful ananimous. Wonderful film I have watched twice so far. Enjoy

I have just watched The Horsewhisperer again recently. Tears again watching what horse and his young owner (a very young Scarlett Johansson) endure after an horrendous accident. A heartbreaking happy film if that makes sense.

ananimous Wed 25-Mar-20 12:00:36

Not seen Whisperer, I'll give that a watch tonight.
I'm currently trawling through my dvds for feel good factor films.

Kalu Wed 25-Mar-20 12:56:08

Have the tissues ready annanamous?
Robert Redford and Kristen Scott Thomas good choice of main carachters.

ananimous Thu 26-Mar-20 11:27:30

? You were right!
Dammit Kalu! I'm low on loo roll, too.

Sussexborn Thu 26-Mar-20 11:32:10

We are still watching films recorded over time. I’m looking forward to seeing Spooks right from the beginning.

Kalu Thu 26-Mar-20 16:21:06

ananimous In future, wipe any tears on your sleeve. Loo rolls must be used for one function alone!?

Oh, lucky you Sussexborn. Amongst our list of ‘what to watch’, Spooks would be at the top of our list. Enjoy?

Watched ‘Delicious’, Dawn French and Emilia Fox. It soon became clear this was Series 2 of the first series we watched 4 years ago. It was OK, light entertainment.

Deedaa Thu 26-Mar-20 21:04:57

La Vita e Bella. Roberto Begnigni starred and also directed I think. Italian or English versions available. Benigni also did an interesting version of Pinnochio (not at all Disney!) but I don't think there is an English version.