Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

RIP Nicholas Parsons

(4 Posts)
jura2 Tue 28-Jan-20 16:07:37

Died today aged 96 - same age, and also same shape, posture and dress style as my dad, who also died at 96.

He was absolutely fascinated by horology- and did a wonderful documentary a few years ago about our most famous 18C watch maker, Breguet. He retraced the amazing saga of his best masterpiece, the Marie-Antoinette watch - for the French Queen of that name- ordered by her lover Prince Fernsen of Sweden. She was guillotined before the watch of all watches was finished, and even Breguet never finished it- but his son.

It was sold several times, and was finally bought by a very rich man from Jerusalem- and was kept in the Museum of Islamic Art there- but was stolen by a collector. They searched high and wide- but it was only found by the collector's wife after he died- and restituted to the Museum where it is now under very strict surveillance. In the meantime, Breguet watches made a copy from all the drawings and technical instructions Breguet left - but the twins have sadly never been re-united and compared properly. A fascinating story.

I wrote to Mr Parsons after the documentary to give him other bits of information- and he was so pleased and wrote me a lovely long letter back- and promised we would go our for lunch on his next visit- although he was not sure he would be able to come again. Lovely, gracious man. RIP.

Calendargirl Tue 28-Jan-20 16:13:39

Already a thread re NP.

jura2 Tue 28-Jan-20 16:53:25

Didn't see the other thread, threads even - sorry.

Alishka Wed 29-Jan-20 19:56:52

Well, I haven't seen the other thread yet, so Jura thank you for your contribution. Fascinating stuffsmile