Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Tonight’s Casualty

(12 Posts)
MawB Sat 01-Feb-20 22:06:20

Oh dear.

Very moving, perhaps very close to home for many of us in so many ways.

RIP Duffy sad

BlueBelle Sat 01-Feb-20 22:09:38

Horrid of me I know but I m so glad that story line has finished I was so fed up with Duffy and Charlie glad it’s over and done with

MawB Sat 01-Feb-20 22:22:59

Heartless! ?

BlueBelle Sat 01-Feb-20 22:31:09

I know sorry MawB probably because I lived through it twice I didn’t really believe in Duffy just me sorry

GrannyLaine Sat 01-Feb-20 22:39:17

I thought it was a very sensitively done story line for dementia. I nursed my Dad through vascular dementia and tonight's sequence of events was quite similar to my Mum's last 24 hours so I'm very weepy on all counts.

MawB Sat 01-Feb-20 22:52:18

Haven’t had to cope with the dementia but the organ donor and life support scenarios resonated.
It’s OK I know it’s only acting (and it was amazing how A&E magically emptied) but still sad

paddyanne Sat 01-Feb-20 23:17:01

a good end to Duffy's story ,sad but well written and acted.My friend who is early 60's has dementia and she worries how it will play out for her.For now she's having great treatment and only has mior symptoms.Long may that last .

rafichagran Sat 01-Feb-20 23:29:37

I thought it was very sensitively portrayed. Its seems weird to say you enjoyed watching some thing like that, but in a way I did.

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Feb-20 05:25:20

I was trying to understand how organ donation would be done. Is Duffy now just being kept alive by the machine. Are they taking her away to turn off the machine , she dies and then the organs are harvested. Probably not, wouldn't they have turned off the machine with Charlie there so he could be with her when she died.

When Charlie out put her nurse's dress on the bed as they took her away I assumed that was for her to be dressed in after she died.
Can't understand Charlie not being with Duffy as she died of have I Got it all wrong.

Coolgran65 Sun 02-Feb-20 05:28:45

died of have = dies or have

FlexibleFriend Sun 02-Feb-20 13:24:34

The organs are harvested from a live body albeit brain dead.

MawB Sun 02-Feb-20 13:32:33

When DH was in ICU on one occasion, there was a young woman who had had a massive brain haemorrhage and her parents and I were in the relatives’ room together before they were given the news that she had been declared brain dead. (DD and I had seen the expression on the face of the doctor and nurse coming in and we immediately slipped out ) She had carried a donor card and her organs were to be donated.
What I found remarkable was the way the nurses spoke gently to her, brushed her hair, washed her face and just treated her very tenderly as if she had been fully conscious. So caring.
DH had been recovering from a serious episode after his own transplant and we found it especially traumatic to witness the “other end” as it were.