Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Another long-shot `does anyone remember` question, re: BBC radio 4 in the 1970s

(25 Posts)
suzette1613 Sat 08-Feb-20 06:37:07

I wake early and listen to Radio 4, at the fade-out of the World Service transmissions.

Does anyone remember a lovely piece of guitar music that used to be played at that time, in the late 1970s? It wasn`t part of the `UK Theme` which I think came later. I always used to love hearing it and was sad when the BBC replaced it.

Now I wish I had made a recording, or at least taken note of the name.
The BBC archives have not come up with anything.

Framilode Sat 08-Feb-20 07:36:50

It might be worth googling. I seem to be able to find nearly everything there.

QuaintIrene Sat 08-Feb-20 07:43:10

If it was late seventies I wonder if it was played by John Williams. He was very popular, commercially at that time.

Lucca Sat 08-Feb-20 07:50:22

Is this of any help ?
What is the BBC World Service signature tune?

The tune 'Lilliburlero', is generally considered to be the signature tune of BBC World Service. Preceded by the announcement "This is London", it is played on the BBC World Service before the five-minute World News bulletins. The current version was arranged by David Arnold, who has composed most of the new themes for the World Service, and has been recorded in digital format to replace the previous version, which was in use for over 30 years.

We regret that we are not able to supply copies or audio files of either the new or the old versions of the tune (or of other BBC World Service theme music), but some information about 'Lilliburlero' follows:

Lucca Sat 08-Feb-20 07:53:43

You tube Lilliburlero guitar

M0nica Sat 08-Feb-20 08:07:34

I have a very vague feeling that it may have been the tune Tony Hart used for his children's tv programme Take Hart

In which case it was Jon Williams playing 'Cavatina'

suzette1613 Sat 08-Feb-20 08:08:02

No, it wasn`t Lilliburlero, I know that one.

QuaintIrene, John Williams rings a bell, thanks.

suzette1613 Sat 08-Feb-20 08:09:49

Not Cavatina either.

The name `Abby`s Song` or `Abby`s Theme` comes to mind, but I can`t find that anywhere.

Lucca Sat 08-Feb-20 08:13:02

You don’t mean Annie’s song do you?

suzette1613 Sat 08-Feb-20 08:30:21

No Lucca, one of my favourites though!

QuaintIrene Sat 08-Feb-20 13:55:21

Hmm.. Solveigs song ? I wonder if it was arranged for guitar but the melody doesn’t kick in straight away. It’s very beautiful.

suzette1613 Sat 08-Feb-20 14:26:44

Not that either QuaintIrene! I imagine it was a piece written especially for BBC radio, definitely not well known, I had never heard it played other than at that specific time each early morning to introduce BBC Radio 4 programming.

Have a feeling I will never be able to identify it, but no matter!
I must have too much time on my hands!..

QuaintIrene Sat 08-Feb-20 14:39:36

It’s an interesting quest ! I do remember music when the World Service finished because I used to do my homework in the couple of hours before school and it was in the background when I was putting toast on. But can I bring it to mind ? !

Chewbacca Sat 08-Feb-20 14:54:24

www.google.com/search?q=john+williams+cavatina&oq=john+williams+cavat&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l2.7464j0j7&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

John Williams - Cavatina

suzette1613 Sat 08-Feb-20 15:02:36

Definitely not Cavatina, that is a well known piece of music, I think it was the theme to `The Deer Hunter` and probably written later than the music I am thinking about (mid 70s when I heard it first).

Chestnut Sat 08-Feb-20 15:08:54

Try looking here:
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bbc+world+service+music

annsixty Sat 08-Feb-20 16:14:43

I am sorry to bring sadness to the thread but John Williams playing Cavatina brought back a very poignant memory.
When my S was in primary school a girl in his class was having a lot of time off with illness.
My S came home one day and said the teacher had told them she had died.
John Williams Cavatina was playing on the kitchen radio , I will never forget that.
The little girl whose name was Irene would had been nine or ten.
My S will be 50tomorrow, it has made me think about her parents and slightly older brother.
They didn’t stay in the area for long after.

QuaintIrene Sun 09-Feb-20 03:05:36

Oh, annsixty music is very evocative isn’t it ? ?

BradfordLass73 Sun 09-Feb-20 03:56:57

And yet another link to You Tube, featuring many World Service musical idents over the past decades.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJ5_j4U6HQ

midgey Sun 09-Feb-20 10:20:13

The Deer Hunter theme tune is Cavatina played by John Williams.

suzette1613 Sun 09-Feb-20 13:57:08

Yes, but it wasn`t Cavatina!
I have trawled all the helpful links from GNers but no joy...

midgey Sun 09-Feb-20 14:44:00

Wikipedia says you are mistaken. But I hope you find your tune soon.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deer_Hunter

suzette1613 Sun 09-Feb-20 18:46:45

I seem to have been misleading in my message. I meant that I know Cavatina and that Cavatina is the theme to the Deer Hunter, not that piece of music I am trying to find is from the Deer Hunter. Sorry I was confusing those trying to help.

tiredoldwoman Sun 09-Feb-20 18:58:21

was it Recuerdos de la Alhambra ?

suzette1613 Sun 09-Feb-20 19:16:46

tiredoldwoman, I have just youtubed (is that a word?) that, it is lovely but not the music I mean. I don`t think it was a Spanish piece at all, but was played on classical guitar.