Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Back in time for.....

(10 Posts)
Labaik Wed 26-Feb-20 22:00:47

the corner shop....anyone else love these programmes? They're like a cuddly comfort blanket for me. Nice cup of tea and a wallow in nostalgia.

ninathenana Thu 27-Feb-20 08:15:00

Yes, I enjoy them too. I love to spot things I remember from my childhood including on a couple of occasions the wallpaper.
I've not seen the latest one yet.

travelsafar Thu 27-Feb-20 08:42:31

I fell asleep as it bored me. Usually i love these kind of programs but this one didnt spark much interest.

Maggymay Thu 27-Feb-20 09:10:01

Didn’t enjoy it as much as Back in time for dinner won’t bother watching the rest of the series.

MiniMoon Thu 27-Feb-20 10:19:03

I watched it with my husband who used to own a grocery shop. It was interesting, but we did wonder why the poor shopkeeper had to cut the cheese with a knife. DH said he remembered his grandfather using a cheese wire to cut the large cheese wheel.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 27-Feb-20 10:37:25

Yes, the knife for the cheese was odd. Thought a cheese wire would have been used. Also, surely if you wanted jam you would bring a jar with you instead of receiving it in a piece of paper. As for the milk being filled to the brim and dropping over the floor. Again, they would have taken a proper jug intended for the purpose with a lid. The whole thing seemed to present difficulties which I expect were intended to entertain rather than inform.

Doodledog Thu 27-Feb-20 12:40:16

I thought it was interesting that branded and packaged goods were introduced because of adulteration of home made or weighed ones.

It makes sense when you think about it, and I remember learning about the weights and measures Act (or whatever it was called) at school, but I hadn't made the link between that and branded items.

starbird Sat 21-Mar-20 11:14:36

It didn’t strike real to me. My mother worked in a grocery shop similar to the one on tv, getting the deliveries together, when we were at school, and we frequented it often for shopping. Perhaps future episodes will be more like the reality I remember.

endlessstrife Sat 21-Mar-20 11:18:49

Yes, we both love these, certainly the sixties, when we were children.

Floradora9 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:32:19

A lot of it was padding . How many corner shops really laid on food for their customers to celebrate different things. You did not make a big enough profit to do that . I grew up , like Margaret Thatcher , above our shop from 1947 until I got married . We lived on the outskirts of town so catered for the rural people as well as town . I always remember one farm worker who would stop off every Saturday night on his way to the dancing and buy one white handkerchief. I guess he never washed the other ones.
We had a book for the close neighbours who needed to buy " on tick " now and again and were always paid back .