Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Radio programmes recommended

(15 Posts)
Bakingmad0203 Tue 12-May-20 13:50:02

I’m trying to cut down on the amount of screen time from 5 hours a day during lockdown! I’d like to listen to the radio more but always seem to miss the good programmes. Any recommendations please?

Daddima Tue 12-May-20 13:56:14

There are plays and audiobooks on YouTube, and lots of stuff on the BBC Sounds app.
I like podcasts too, like Answer Me This, Graham Norton and Frank Skinner.

Jane43 Tue 12-May-20 19:16:29

Have you got the app BBC Sounds? I use it a lot.

Bakingmad0203 Tue 12-May-20 20:11:42

Thank you Daddima and Jane43
I’ve just downloaded it It’s just what I wanted

Ohmother Tue 12-May-20 23:35:41

If you want a smile try The Unbelievable Truth panel game. Or a quick The Music Teacher episode. I love the comedy.

Ohmother Tue 12-May-20 23:36:36

Sorry forgot I say they’re on BBC sounds.

geekesse Tue 12-May-20 23:46:10

Why don’t you just listen to a BBC Radio 4? There’s a huge range of content throughout the day, and you can knit, paint, cook or do chores with it on all the time. Result - more productivity and a continually mind-broadening experience at the same time.

welbeck Wed 13-May-20 02:51:59

you've obviously got access to the internet, and there are so many more radio programmes available through that.
have you tried BBC Radio 4 Extra; it plays many of the classic comedies, also dramas; eg Round the Horn, the Navy Lark.
also for music, Angel Radio, plays vintage music from the 1920s to 1950s, mostly, and is run by a delightful bunch of vintage amateurs on the south coast.
for news/ discussion programmes, i like BBC radio 5 Live, LBC, and Talk Radio. they often have phone-ins with experts.
happy listening.

Nortsat Wed 13-May-20 06:47:45

I listen to BBC R4Extra a lot and enjoy much of the content. Using the BBC Sounds website, you can scroll through the daily radio schedules and pick out a play or comedy or whatever and listen when you choose.

I like doing tapestry whilst listening to a good play. I have just enjoyed a John Mortimer piece, with the lovely actress Anna Massey.
I find a radio play lifts the boredom of ironing, too ?

Marilla Wed 13-May-20 07:56:22

A Good Read on Radio 4 is one of my favourites. It’s a lovely half hour with the presenter and two guests discussing their favourite books. Tune into BBC Sounds and you will find lots of previous recordings.

travelsafar Wed 13-May-20 09:22:18

I recently listened to Hilary Mantel's the Mirror and the Light and Floss on the Mill on Radio 4's drama programs on my phone. It was lovely sitting in the garden with the earplugs in and being told a story. They have several to choose from.

Jane10 Wed 13-May-20 11:36:32

I started listening to 'Cranford' yesterday on BBC sounds app as I went for my daily trudge nature walk. So amusing and so well read. Those ladies would fit right in to Gransnet today.

tanith Wed 13-May-20 12:17:30

I’ve just tried radio4extra while taking my walk thanks for the recommendation. Listened to 2 episodes of ‘ Hancocks Half-hour’, I was laughing out loud at some of it, thankfully I don’t meet many people where I walk.

Sillymoo Wed 13-May-20 12:46:15

I find More or Less very interesting and gets to the bottom of many stats. Also The Archers, when it gets going again
Miss Marple. The Citadel
Lots on radios 4 and 4extra. Also Much Watch on radio 5 - best to get the podcast for that

Babs758 Fri 15-May-20 10:06:47

Cabin Pressure is starting f again in Sunday’s from this coming week!