Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Bob Ross Appreciation Society.

(12 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 20-May-20 18:46:18

Not sure if this should be under arts and crafts but it's on tv so I'll stick it here. Anyone else love Bob and his happy clouds? If so, shoot [that's his latest word, season two]. I've got to rewatch the last two episodes as I fell asleep half way through both of them [as usual].

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 20-May-20 20:42:03

My DD and GD are following him on TV and FB and painting along with him, lots of pine trees and lakes from what I gather!
I think he recorded 28 series.

MayBee70 Wed 20-May-20 20:44:35

There's a documentary about him on facebook as well. Yes; lots of clouds; happy ones.

Sparklefizz Wed 20-May-20 21:05:52

I enjoyed it at first but in the end his paintings all got a bit "samey" - always some pine trees, a little stream, some clouds and usually a little cabin.

Sussexborn Wed 20-May-20 21:29:58

Same as Sparklefizz! Watched three or four but found the finished painting much the same. He made it all look so easy but must have taken years of experience.

MayBee70 Wed 20-May-20 21:49:04

The paintings are awful. But it's amazing how he does them in the exact 30 minutes. I just find it so relaxing.

Oopsadaisy3 Wed 20-May-20 22:32:16

Evergreens, usually a lake add a sunset or sunrise et voila.
He tries to ring the changes by changing the shape of the picture, some are oval!
Agreed samey but of its time.
How about Painting with Nancy Kominski remember her?
All done with a palette knife but a similar Type of thing.

MayBee70 Wed 20-May-20 23:31:31

I've never come across anything like it before and I'm amazed what can be done with a palette knife. My little grandson is turning out to be a talented artist but he worries a lot; I'm trying to get him to watch Bob so he realises mistakes are just happy accidents. I've also started repeating everything I say like he does. And making big decisions. Tea or coffee; digestive or rich tea....

rosecarmel Thu 21-May-20 02:09:00

Do you think it's possible to use Bob's techniques to pull off making a painting look like a Hudson River School piece, and if so .. how?

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 21-May-20 06:24:08

Rosecarmel you would have to leave out the evergreens, but why not? I would imagine that once you have accomplished a certain technique you can do pretty much whatever you want to.
I think that Bob Ross is a great starting point for budding artists, then your own style and technique will soon start to show itself and then you will have your own way of doing things.

lemongrove Thu 21-May-20 08:50:18

I agree Oopsadaisy he gave a lot of good tips for painting.
He was certainly a relaxing person to watch as well, you can feel your blood pressure falling as every minute passes.?
Such a shame that he died so (relatively) young.

MayBee70 Thu 21-May-20 15:00:32

That really upsets me, lemon grove. I was so curious about him when I first saw the programme because I didn’t quite twig the fact that he was from a byegone age. Similar to the guy that Tom Hanks film was based on (A Very Good Day in the Neighbourhood: really wanted to see that when it came out) who seemed too nice to be true but really was that lovely.