Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Last Kingdom

(9 Posts)
CanadianGran Thu 21-May-20 19:52:26

Has anyone watched this Netflix series? We just finished the latest season, and really enjoyed it.

The series is based on Bernard Cornwell's series of books The Saxon Stories.

tattynan Fri 22-May-20 09:11:55

I use to watch this on BBC 2 where the first couple of series were screened and enjoyed it. Then for some reason it disappeared and was on Netflix which I don’t have so have missed it. This happened with Ripper Street too but eventually that was aired on BBC. I hope same happens with Last Kingdom too.

travelsafar Sat 23-May-20 08:45:31

Yes, i watched the whole thing from start to finish and loved it. Also enjoyed the The Vikings. I Just love anything which relates to history, these are right up my street.

Sussexborn Sat 23-May-20 22:25:14

I’ve read all the books and watched the tv series. The books were excellent and so were series 1-3. Series 4 was not quite as good but ok. They changed the producer and director unfortunately.

honibom Thu 09-Jul-20 22:26:36

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lollee Thu 23-Jul-20 18:09:04

@travelsafar if you enjoy historical dramas (as do I, total history geek), have you seen the following:
Outlander
Medici the magnificent
The Borgias
Marco Polo
Versailles
The Tudors (a bit daft to casting Jonathan rhys meyers)
I also loved last kingdom and vikings.

Nortsat Fri 24-Jul-20 14:06:02

I loved the Last Kingdom.

Many years ago, I did a course on Dark Ages history as part of my degree and to my surprise, I loved it.

There are so many great places to visit in the UK, which date to this time, you can make a hobby of it. ?

Franbern Fri 24-Jul-20 18:01:17

I love the books of the Last Kingdom. 13 in total. I have them on Audible,and they are so brilliantly read, they sound like listening to a play.

Amazing amount of research has gone into these books, for an era which only just very slightly skimmed over in history.

Obviously the tv series could not anywhere as full as the books. They are well worth a read or listen to

Mancjules Fri 24-Jul-20 18:05:59

Loved the books and the series. Check out bernard cornwells The Warlord Chronicles too. Great read.