Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Other One

(25 Posts)
gillybob Sun 07-Jun-20 10:03:24

I happened to find the pilot episode if this BBC comedy on the iPlayer and I enjoyed it so much I ended up binge watching the entire series.

Basically it’s about 2 half sisters who find each other following their fathers death . Born only a few days apart and strangely both named “Catherine” They are like chalk and cheese .

I do hope there’s a second series, I enjoyed it so much .

tanith Sun 07-Jun-20 10:12:48

I only watched the first episode on iPlayer and it was quite funny I’ll watch the rest weekly gives me at least one program worth watching each week. I loved the both the Mums and the wimpy boyfriend, it reminded me a bit of Gavin and Stacy.

Urmstongran Sun 07-Jun-20 10:21:26

I’ve made a note of this, thanks gillybob. When I can get catch up I’ll certainly tune in. It sounds right up my street.
?

gillybob Sun 07-Jun-20 10:22:39

I did me too tanith . I wish I hadn’t binge watched the whole lot now as I have to wait for a second series as there was a huge twist at the end but won’t spoil it.

A really good cast too.

gillybob Sun 07-Jun-20 10:23:43

I just know you will love it Urms smile

kittylester Sun 07-Jun-20 10:25:04

We've watched one and really enjoyed it

dragonfly46 Sun 07-Jun-20 10:29:44

Looks like a good series - enjoyed the first one.

rockgran Sun 07-Jun-20 10:49:43

Yes, I watched the lot in one go. Wish I'd saved some!

Jane10 Sun 07-Jun-20 11:07:36

Oh good. I'd recorded it so I'll look forward to watching it.

Jane43 Sun 07-Jun-20 12:07:28

I saw this advertised so will watch it now as I seem to spend most of my viewing time on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Thanks for the recommendation.

J52 Sun 07-Jun-20 18:11:48

Anyone else think that Amit Shah resembles Rishi Sunak ?

pensionpat Sun 07-Jun-20 20:16:47

We also binge-watched the lot. Very enjoyable. The sister, Kat, was good in Catastrophe, which was hilarious.

MawB Sun 07-Jun-20 21:42:20

Me too! I started with the pilot this morning and have just finished the final episode!
Brilliant!

gillybob Sun 07-Jun-20 23:13:56

Glad you all liked it . I’m just waiting for the second series now.

WARNING .......Don’t read on if you haven’t watched it all..........

Surely they can’t leave it hanging like this ? She was snogging her brother wasn’t she? shock

Grannynannywanny Mon 08-Jun-20 00:26:24

I watched the pilot on fri night and loved it. I didn’t realise there was a full series available to watch. I thought the next episode I’ve set the box to record next Friday was the first of a new series.

MawB Mon 08-Jun-20 08:10:07

Gillybob I suppose it does open up a whole new storyline?
Loved it and thought the characterisation was excellent!

MerylStreep Mon 08-Jun-20 08:29:30

I watched it the first time round. Even when I know what's coming I'm laughing in anticipation at what's coming ?

JackyB Mon 08-Jun-20 08:42:12

This sounded fun, but I can't use the I player of course, as I'm not in the UK, so I went to look if some kind soul had uploaded it to YouTube. All I could find was a series called "The Other One" with a very young Richard Briers and Michael Gambon!

MawB Mon 08-Jun-20 08:48:39

“First time round” MerylStreet ? When was it broadcast?
I was under the impression it was new.

MawB Mon 08-Jun-20 08:51:05

COMEDY sitcom The Other One follows two women called Catherine who discover that they're half-sisters after their dad dies

The BBC One show starts TONIGHT, Friday June 5, at 9pm and viewers will see siblings Cathy and Cat get to know each other with plenty of laughs along the way

Grannynannywanny Mon 08-Jun-20 08:55:03

I’m confused. I saw a chat about it on tv on fri morning. I watched it that night and really enjoyed it. My Virgin box described that episode as a pilot from a few years ago.

My box is set to record the start of the series on fri this week. So, will that actually be series 2 and there’s a series 1 lurking somewhere I need to catch up on before Friday?

MerylStreep Mon 08-Jun-20 08:58:06

MawB
I had a look. It was 2017.

Pittcity Mon 08-Jun-20 09:06:26

It was just the first "pilot" episode that was shown in 2017 to see if people liked it. The other episodes are new.

MawB Mon 08-Jun-20 09:06:26

Yes I see that now.
I can’t say I remembered it and from the publicity it was being presented very much as a new series!
A bit disingenuous of the BBC!

annsixty Mon 08-Jun-20 09:27:26

I also binge watched after seeing it recommended on here-thanks.
I was very surprised by the actress playing Cathy’s Aunt, whose name escapes me.
I recognised the voice but had to wait for the credits to roll to see who it was.
She has gone up a generation, although, haven’t we all?