Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The end of Eggheads?

(20 Posts)
Ealdemodor Mon 08-Jun-20 15:44:06

I have read that Eggheadswill be finishing.
According to the writer, this is because the BBC want a younger audience. Whether or not this is true, the BBC certainly seems to have little regard for their viewers. I heard rumours also that BBC 4 may finish.
This chasing of a young audience is pointless in my view, for a lot of under 40s do not watch much tv anyway. They are probably too busy, with many of this generation not even home from work when Eggheads airs at 6pm.
So, do you watch Eggheads? Would you miss it?

felice Mon 08-Jun-20 15:53:56

Not a programme I will miss, my Mother used to watch it and would argue black was white when the presenter said at the end that no one could ever beat the Eggheads.
I used to explain that if the total to be won was, ,£5000 then it had been won 5 shows ago.
I know some elderly friends here who watch it so it may be missed but not by me.

GrandmaMoira Mon 08-Jun-20 16:37:01

I like Eggheads and would miss it. I would miss BBC4 a lot as it is the channel I watch most. I don't know why the BBC want to jettison the millions of older viewers. Younger people don't watch terrestrial TV so BBC would be left with very few viewers.

MerylStreep Mon 08-Jun-20 16:44:14

I will miss it as I'm a quiz freak. I was on it some years ago with one of the quiz teams I played for.

Callistemon Mon 08-Jun-20 16:49:01

I don't watch it but you just took the words out of my mouth as I just said to DH that most younger people don't watch mainstream TV. He said he was astonished that a contestant on some programme he's watching at the moment didn't know on what night Question Time is broadcast.

MerylStreep I am in awe!

ayse Mon 08-Jun-20 17:21:23

I really enjoy many of the documentaries on the BEEB. So many other documentaries seem like talking down to the audience by filling the programme with repeated information. Loads of stuff on PBS and Smithsonian originated on BBC4. My DH loves music on Friday night. It would be a real shame to loose the educational content of the BBC. This also includes all the wonderful nature programmes that are repeated.

I’d just feel that the TV Licence would no longer be worth paying. If I want garbage, there are endless channels to choose from.

Nortsat Mon 08-Jun-20 17:30:14

I love Eggheads and find it really relaxing viewing. I would be v sorry to see it go. I like it much more than some of the other tv quizzes (Only Connect is my favourite).
It seems the BBC is unconcerned about it’s more mature audience.

Meryl, do tell us more about your experience of appearing on the programme, I am fascinated...

MiniMoon Mon 08-Jun-20 18:42:44

I watched it when it was new and fresh. I think it has had it's run. I will not miss it.

lemongrove Mon 08-Jun-20 19:52:10

Well done Meryl ???
I like Eggheads, not least because the pace of the questions and answers is not too gabbled and fast ( it’s what puts me off The Chase) I have a slight hearing problem and find that Bradley Walsh has a strong accent which combined with breakneck delivery, is off putting.
The Eggs have a more laidback and chatty time of it.?
I would miss it, if it faces the axe.I also enjoy Mastermind, Only Connect and University Challenge, surely quizzes appeal to all generations?

Jane43 Tue 09-Jun-20 10:31:00

I used to watch it every day some years ago but in recent years there have been too many repeats and it has become stale and predictable, you can often predict which Eggheads will be chosen for particular subjects for example. It has run its course, perhaps they could use the Eggheads in a Quiz show with a different format. I also preferred Dermot Murnaghan as presenter, Jeremy Vine isn’t as good and can be annoying trying to make jokes which fall flat and waste time.

Lemon grove I agree with what you say about Bradley Walsh’s delivery of the questions In The Chase. He has a lovely personality and the contestants and Chasers obviously love him but he is not suited to the role Of QuizMaster. It’s not just his accent, he mispronounces some words and I think it leads to the contestants being unable to answer questions which they probably know. I have noticed that Sean often leans forward and has trouble understanding what Bradley is saying.

JessK Tue 09-Jun-20 10:41:47

I agree Jane43, Dermot Murnaghan was very good at presiding over Eggheads and Jeremy Vine does not have he same sort of personality that makes you warm towards him.
To me the format hasn't been changed since the beginning whereas other quizzes have been tweaked to keep it fresh and that is the main problem.
I will miss it but not that much!

Lucca Tue 09-Jun-20 11:06:32

I like quizzes but eggheads drives me nuts. So long winded.

Bellasnana Tue 09-Jun-20 11:59:48

No, I wouldn’t miss it. It has run its course.

I do love the Chase, though, and think Bradley Walsh is wonderful. He seems perfectly suited to the role of quizmaster to me.confused

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 09-Jun-20 12:10:40

It is a shame that the BBC is chasing a younger audience. Surely most young people are not back from work when it's on anyway?

I like the Popmaster quiz on Radio 2 with Ken Bruce but despite loving quizzes I wouldn't go on it as the questions seem to suit a younger audience and I do very badly at it these days.

The BBC are ignoring their present older audience at their peril. Is it an attempt to keep the licence fee relevant? If young people don't watch the BBC they won't want to pay it, will they?

Teetime Tue 09-Jun-20 15:03:07

I think its about time we had some new programmes. I cant bear quiz programmes anyway but this has been on for ever. A good time for fresh thinking and creative ideas on TV and please ditch the soaps at the same time.

Charleygirl5 Tue 09-Jun-20 15:03:32

I enjoy watching The Chase but I find Bradley's jokes very irritating. I also know instantly when he says to the contestant that he also would have given that answer- the answer is wrong because Bradley is rarely correct unless it is a football question.

Deedaa Tue 09-Jun-20 19:32:28

Chasing a young audience has never worked. Even in the 60s the only thing to keep you in was Ready Steady Go. After that you went out and did something interesting. It would make much more sense to cater for people who, for whatever reason have to spend a lot of time at home.

Jeremy Vine drives me mad, "Gosh I didn't know that!"
Me - "How can you not know that Jeremy?"

grannyrebel7 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:53:27

I love Eggheads and Jeremy Vine. Would definitely miss it if it was axed. I do find the repeats annoying though. Also like Richard Osman's House of Games and Pointless.

Peardrop50 Thu 11-Jun-20 20:10:37

Oh yes, I too love Richard Osman's House of Games, a refreshing change from the old tired formats. I also enjoy Only Connect, University Challenge and Mastermind. For a lighter entertainment I occasionally enjoy Tenable and Letterbox.
Pointless is exactly that and Pointless Celebrities says it all, not keen on Eggheads or The Chase, past their sell by date in my opinion.

Ailsa43 Thu 11-Jun-20 23:11:36

Love Eggheads, and I'm not an old fogey lol... I've always loved it, it's so easy and relaxing, and nobody has an ego... I'll really miss it if it goes..