Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Sitting in Limbo

(25 Posts)
Dollymc2 Mon 08-Jun-20 21:09:55

Watching this just now and feel utterly ashamed of the UK Government , as I'm sure any decent person would
What is wrong with Conservatives?
Decent hard working people targeted, for being black...
It's so wrong and so very upsetting
Black lives matter

Dollymc2 Mon 08-Jun-20 21:15:26

Theresa May's hostile environmental, was certainly that

Dollymc2 Mon 08-Jun-20 21:15:57

Sorry, environment

ladymuck Mon 08-Jun-20 21:17:09

I fear that this whole thing could actually do the black members of society more harm than good.
I think there are those taking advantage to stir up conflict between the different factions of society.
Exactly what they hope to achieve I don't know but it could well lead to more violence and discrimination, not less.

Dollymc2 Mon 08-Jun-20 21:24:39

Which whole 'thing'?
Are you watching the programme?
It's about the Windrush generation
They were treated disgracefully
I find your comment patronising

Barmeyoldbat Mon 08-Jun-20 21:48:57

How could it do them any worse lady much? We have become more of a racists society under the Tory government. Anyone who supports them on what they did should hang their heads in shame.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 08-Jun-20 21:49:37

Ladymuck not lady much

Barmeyoldbat Mon 08-Jun-20 22:21:20

I really doh't think you understood what the programme was about Ladymuck.

JuneRose Mon 08-Jun-20 22:22:26

How do I feel after watching Sitting in Limbo? Sad, ashamed, angry, hurt that such injustice was enacted by our government in the last decade. The acting was superb, so compelling and the dignity of Anthony Bryan shone through in the portrayal by Patrick Robinson.

This was a shameful episode of legalised, institutional racism. I feel mortified, embarrassed and ashamed that this happened.

Dollymc2 Mon 08-Jun-20 22:26:22

Me too June, what a stain on society

Barmeyoldbat Mon 08-Jun-20 22:28:20

You have said it so well JuneRose, it is exactly how I feel.

Callistemon Mon 08-Jun-20 22:39:14

It was very powerful drama and excellent acting especially by Patrick Robinson and Nadine Marshall.

It is shocking too, that after all this time, very few have received their compensation.
However, nothing will ever compensate for the fear they lived with for all that time.

JuneRose I agree and it was chilling.

Hetty58 Mon 08-Jun-20 22:43:09

JuneRose, you have expressed exactly how I feel about it. I have no idea what ladymuck is on about!

Eloethan Mon 08-Jun-20 23:13:14

ladymuck I don't understand your comment. What do you mean by "the whole thing" - these scandalous events coming to light? a TV programme being made about it?

Callistemon Tue 09-Jun-20 10:18:49

Perhaps ladymuck posted on the wrong thread?
It happens.

Loislovesstewie Tue 09-Jun-20 10:26:00

It was part of Theresa May's hostile environment ; what usually happens is find is that the whole idea is not thought out. No thought was given to previous policies that stated that Commonwealth citizens were allowed to settle ion the UK, or how minors arrived here , often on family passports , or where the paperwork was stored . And the people who came often did not keep their own copies of paperwork where such items existed.
It was just another government cock-up. And showed a lack of knowledge on history ( again).

Ilovecheese Tue 09-Jun-20 10:26:45

It wasn't just the Conservatives though, the whole "hostile environment " business was begun under New Labour, both parties pandering to the anti immigrant sentiment in parts of our country. Increased under Theresa May and being continued by Pritti Patel.
Shameful and heartbreaking.

Ilovecheese Tue 09-Jun-20 10:27:30

Brilliant drama and performances.

Judy54 Wed 10-Jun-20 17:09:30

The shocking thing is that this was not a one off. There were many more like Anthony Bryant who were treated appallingly. How can someone after living most of their life in the UK (52 years) paying national insurance and tax be subject to such inhumane treatment. How can an upright citizen be placed in a detention centre (prison) and separated from his family. He acted with dignity at all times which is more than can be said for the government at the time who lost their moral compass. Shame on them!

sodapop Wed 10-Jun-20 17:35:20

I agree Judy54 shameful. They were 'easy targets' being law abiding, tax paying citizens.
No apology or compensation given, I felt ashamed watching this programme.

grannyrebel7 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:56:48

It was disgusting the way the Windrush generation were treated.

harrigran Fri 12-Jun-20 18:38:50

What the programme told you was that Anthony Bryan arrived as a child on his mother's passport, not true, he entered the country on his brother's passport and at a different time to his mother. That was probably why he was held on a technicality.

Loislovesstewie Sat 13-Jun-20 06:48:32

As an aside, I also think this shows the importance of keeping paperwork. NEVER, EVER think that if you are dealing with the government then they will have kept paperwork appertaining to you, that they know your circumstances and that your copy is not important . It is!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 13-Jun-20 06:57:02

Then people wonder why BLM exists.

Jane43 Fri 19-Jun-20 13:04:51

I watched this last night and was very angry at how this happened and even more angry at how it was handled by the Home Office. I don’t think the victims were compensated adequately, not that you could ever be compensated for having your life turned upside down and being treated In the most inhumane way.