Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

I may destroy you.

(16 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:23:09

Is anyone watching this? Read some great reviews so had a look but it's AWFUL!
Can't believe this is acceptable. Rape, constant drug use, picking strangers up for sex, threesomes etc. None of the characters are likeable.Wont be watching it again.

TerriBull Thu 18-Jun-20 15:19:15

I've been watching it, although I have to say the last couple of episodes have been unbelievably explicit. I did wonder why it was on so late, now I know! I'll keep going though because I'm curious to know how it will unfold as to the flashbacks and the spiking of the drink.

Camilla Long in raved about it in last week's Sunday Times, Culture magazine hmm not sure I'd agree with her though.

Foxyferret Thu 18-Jun-20 15:24:40

Watched first 10 minutes then stopped because of unnecessary foul language.

fevertree Thu 18-Jun-20 17:42:49

kircubbin I'm relieved (if that is the right word) to see that others also think it is awful. The prolonged sex scenes are gratuitous. I did laugh when the kinky sex was even too much for one of the characters, and he left the threesome. So at least it gave me a laugh.

I watched it because it was given 5 stars and raved about in the Sunday Times. When it got to the sex during menstruation scene, I could do no more.

It is awful. The BBC should be ashamed.

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jun-20 18:47:14

Sounds like it's worth a watch, then. wink

fevertree Thu 18-Jun-20 20:50:13

The sad thing is though, that Michaela Coel is talented. I found her first foray into television (also based on life experience) funny and entertaining. Her parents are Ghanaian and she grew up in a staunchly religious home in London and she captured that experience very well in Chewing Gum.

She's relatively young, 32, so I can't help but wonder whether she will look back on I May Destroy You one day and feel differently about some of the scenes she wrote in to this series, (it seemed to me for shock value and not much else).

Elrel Thu 18-Jun-20 21:19:17

Relieved to see other’s views. I thought it was supposed to be good. I realised I had no interest in seeing a second episode.

grannyticktock Thu 18-Jun-20 22:20:55

I am quite tolerant of strong language and explicit scenes, but I gave up after ten minutes. I just couldn't identify with any of the characters or their circumstances, and found them totally unsympathetic. Not for me.

Namsnanny Thu 18-Jun-20 23:17:40

Well it's up to you then MissAdventure to see if you can give us a different view!

MissAdventure Thu 18-Jun-20 23:21:00

Just call me Barry Norman grin

travelsafar Fri 19-Jun-20 08:21:00

I started watching this but not for me. After seeing her sitting on the toilet rolling a ciggarette i just knew it wasnt my kind of thing.

TerriBull Fri 19-Jun-20 09:03:56

Definitely an age demographic thing, over on MN, as with Camilla Long's appraisal in the Sunday Times, there lies a very appreciative audience. Watching it did make me glad I wasn't that age anymore, having said that I imagine casual sex, threesomes and copious drug use wouldn't have been my cup of tea even if I were a 20 something today. I did think as episode 3 and 4 unfolded this is one of the most gratuitous programmes I've seen, particularly in relation to the used tampax, quite unnecessary really. It's a shame because at the heart of it there is an important narrative drawn from the lead actress/writer's own experiences.

fevertree Fri 19-Jun-20 09:34:28

... it also begs the question that if you've taken 5 or 6 different drugs, including alcohol, how do you know that your drink has been spiked and that is why you had a blackout? confused

Not saying it wasn't, just wondering how the hell you would know what tipped you over the edge into blackout?

TerriBull Fri 19-Jun-20 09:49:30

Yes fair point fevertree although from what I've read, when a drink has been spiked events are relayed back to the victim in flashbacks. Nevertheless it does pose the question if you are ingesting so many mind altering substances are you not abdicating responsibility for your own safety and laying yourself open to the possibility of being abused by someone unscrupulous.

Jane43 Fri 19-Jun-20 12:51:44

I also watched some of this because reviews said how good it was. If this is typical of young people’s lives in the 2000s I was amazed at how different things are, even from when our boys were that age. The used Tampax scene was unnecessary IMO and the male threesome made me uncomfortable. I think the story probably has a lot to commend it but I don’t know if I can watch it all.

Delila Tue 30-Jun-20 12:25:16

I think this is a wonderful drama - the writing is exceptionally honest, great integrity, great acting. I find it very moving. It's challenging viewing but there's a harsh world out there, one with which I imagine many of our younger generations could readily identify.