Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Nick Robinson on Andrew Marr

(19 Posts)
kittylester Sun 21-Jun-20 10:24:42

I much prefer Nick Robinson. He is much more good natured but very direct. I find Andrew Marr has become much more aggressive in his interviewing style.

Is it just me?

henetha Sun 21-Jun-20 10:36:15

Probably not just you, we all have our likes and dislikes.
I still like Andrew Marr, and I imagine he is still struggling from the effects of his stroke and must find it irksome at times that he can't fully get over it. His absence today was sadly because of the death of his father.
I shall be happy to see Andrew back next week, but I agree that Nick was very good.

Ellianne Sun 21-Jun-20 10:41:54

I feel Andrew Marr is maybe trying to prove himself more since his illness. Ironically pushing himself was one of the things that got him sick in the first place, I hope he doesn't overdo it. His wife nursed him back to good health. I really like him on the famous paintings programme.
Nick Robinson was sick too, and also George Alagia and the Good Morning presenter, (can't remember his name?)

mcem Sun 21-Jun-20 10:47:53

Presenters apart, it was refreshing to see not one, but two experts who clearly know their stuff!
And then there was Matt Hancock.confused

kittylester Sun 21-Jun-20 10:47:57

Bill Turnbull? No, he was on BBC breakfast.

I think Andrew Marr is trying to take over Jeremy Paxman's place.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:04:58

Bill Turnbull is on Classic FM

Ellianne Sun 21-Jun-20 11:05:42

That's it, Bill T. They are all true professionals.

EllanVannin Sun 21-Jun-20 11:26:00

Not to forget that Andrew Marr suffered a degree of brain damage after his stroke so will have affected that part of his brain which would normally not have shown aggression.

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 21-Jun-20 11:43:11

Really Ellen I didn’t realise that he had made any announcements ref brain damage!
I suspect that all journalists have a certain amount of aggression inside them to get that Elusive Big Story.

eazybee Sun 21-Jun-20 11:54:52

I don't think you can have heard Nick Robinson on the Today Programme if you think his interviewing style is less aggressive than Andrew Marr. He was more avuncular this morning, more like he used to be when he was political correspondent, but his sneering, derisive tone is the main reason I have stopped listening to Today.
Apparently he regards himself as the BBC's greatest asset, was furious when he wasn't given Question Time, and is supposedly angling for the Andrew Marr slot.

TerriBull Sun 21-Jun-20 12:00:26

No it's not you, when we switched on today, my husband said "ah Nick Robinson, I much prefer him to Andrew Marr"

So there you have it KL, two thumbs up for NR!

kittylester Sun 21-Jun-20 12:42:15

Not every stroke results in more aggression Ellan.

Liz46 Sun 21-Jun-20 13:12:39

I don't like Andrew Marr's style and preferred Nick Robinson this morning. It was good to hear the expert talk about the virus.
I often find BBC interviewers to be too aggressive and often turn BBC news off when Naga Munchetty is being so rude.

Jane43 Sun 21-Jun-20 13:14:14

I used to be an avid watcher of his show on Sunday mornings but lately his interviewing style has become predictable and irritating to me. He has a series of questions which are mainly based on past quotes from the interviewee, he doesn’t listen properly to the responses just gives a series of ‘Hmm’s while obviously itching to get to the next question. Nick Robinson was an acceptable substitute but for me the best political interviewer is Andrew Neil followed closely by Emily Maitlis.
I think Nick Robinson would be a much better host for Question Time than Fiona Bruce. I used to watch it every week but don’t bother much any more.

Buttonjugs Sun 21-Jun-20 13:22:19

I prefer Andrew Marr, I was disappointed it wasn’t him. I have only been watching Marr since Covid lockdown and now I look forward to it! I am not keen on Fiona Bruce, it always feels like she is saying ‘I may be nice but I am superior to you,’ when she talks to camera.

Jane43 Sun 21-Jun-20 14:21:57

I dislike Naga Munchetty too Liz46. She is trying to be clever but comes across as very rude and she has a habit of interrupting of contradicting her co-presenters. The only one who can put her in her place is Charlie Stayt.

Fennel Sun 21-Jun-20 18:14:53

Jane43 - I used to prefer Andrew Neil too. What has happened to him?
But really I can't give an opinion as I don't currently watch any of these shows. We listen more to the radio and are even going off James O'Brien on LBC.
Thank God they've got rid of Nigel Farage.

lemongrove Sun 21-Jun-20 18:37:23

I didn’t see Marr today, but DH watched and said later that he thought Robinson much better than Marr.He still asked awkward questions but didn’t interrupt constantly and was more good humoured generally than Marr.??

TerriBull Sun 21-Jun-20 18:42:55

I don't mind Naga except when she has her frequent forays into mundane chit chat usually with a colleague, Carole Kirkwood maybe, and the viewer becomes an incidental eves dropper whilst the pair go into folksy mode about some trite load of crap like the colour of Carole's coat for example, I'm often left feeling "oh for God's sake just get on with it, give us the weather or the news, one or the other!" or more often than not I just switch off hmm