Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

On Chesil Beach - BBC iPlayer

(9 Posts)
Jane43 Sat 27-Jun-20 17:47:46

This is a very good film of the novel by Ian McEwan. It stars Saoirse Ronan and there are supporting roles by Anne-Marie Duff and Emily Watson.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Jun-20 17:49:08

I have it recorded.

mumofmadboys Sat 27-Jun-20 18:46:25

I saw it a few days ago. It is well done but rather sad. I have read the book too.

Jane43 Sat 27-Jun-20 19:32:19

Yes is is sad mumofmadboys. I thought it was a modern day Thomas Hardy story. I read the book a few years ago but had forgotten some of it.

Juliet27 Sat 27-Jun-20 19:38:54

I too enjoyed it and yes it's sad. I'd watched 'Call me by your name' the night before and that too was enjoyable but even more sad.

JenniferEccles Mon 29-Jun-20 22:36:15

We watched it the other evening and it was ok but I did feel that the ending was weak and disappointing. It just seemed to fizzle out.

Anyway it was an inoffensive film with no violence, bad language or horrible continuous background music.

A perfectly pleasant way to spend an evening but not a film I would rave about.

Jane10 Tue 30-Jun-20 09:34:25

Hmmm. Damned with faint praise. I'd earmarked it for future viewing but might give it a miss.

GagaJo Tue 30-Jun-20 09:40:44

I'm not a huge McEwan fan but I thought On Chesil Beach was better than his average fare. I haven't watched it yet but based on reviews, will give it a go.

trisher Sat 04-Jul-20 12:52:50

I watched it but thought it was a bit long and drawn out with a few inaccuracies. Like the postman bringing his degree result. Degree results were posted in the University at the end of the last term and were followed by Convocation when the graduates were presented with their degrees. So why on earth he was home and all his friends were missing I don't know.