Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Big Short (Netflix)

(6 Posts)
Witzend Tue 30-Jun-20 09:54:50

Saw this in the cinema when it first came out, but was pleased to find it on NF last night.

It’s largely about the one person (followed by a very few) who saw the financial crisis of 2007/8 coming, and about the fraud and mismanagement of banks, in selling ‘products’ that hardly anyone, inc. so called Wall St. experts, understood, that brought it about.

Well worth a watch IMO. I particularly enjoyed (again!) the bit where senior Goldman Sachs bods thought he was mad and had a good laugh afterwards, when he wanted to bet against the American housing market, which virtually everyone thought could not possibly collapse.

Jane43 Tue 30-Jun-20 12:32:45

That sounds interesting. I watched a film on BBCiPlayer, ‘99 Homes’ which was about the housing collapse in the USA after sub prime mortgages were given to just about anybody who applied. The construction industry more or less collapsed and many people found themselves without jobs, unable to pay their mortgages and then their homes were repossessed in a most inhumane way. The film shows how one man, played by Andrew Garfield, who lived with his Son and his mother, played by Laura Dern, in a home which had been the family home for years, lost his job in the building trade then in an attempt to hang on to the house started helping an unscrupulous man who was making a fortune out of handling repossessions for the banks and other dirty deeds such as stealing air conditioning units and domestic appliances from homes owned by the bank Fanny Mae, storing them then offering to Re-install them at a ‘bargain’ price. The film was nominated for a lot of awards and Andrew Garfield won best supporting actor in several awards including a Golden Globe.

miketom Wed 29-Jul-20 10:52:22

Hey... I was surfing my Netflix and trying to reach a conclusion. I guess I will settle with this. I like Ryan Gosling. That guy is good. Anyway thanks for sharing.

gulligranny Thu 30-Jul-20 22:06:57

The Big Short is a brilliant film, saw it at the cinema and then bought it on dvd so we could put the subtitles on! Had to watch it at least twice to get my head round it. Christian Bale is amazing, Ryan Gosling is great, the story is unbelievable except it was true ... If you can't cope with copious F words, it's probably not for you, though!

rosecarmel Fri 31-Jul-20 01:44:51

Excellent movie, a favorite of mine, we were just discussing it last night- It came up while we were talking about the current housing market here in the US-

lorenwheeler Fri 31-Jul-20 03:15:46

I enjoyed it, but it had a weird tone to it. And Steve Carell's character was a bit too Basi Exposition for my liking.