Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Anthony Walker

(17 Posts)
gillybob Mon 27-Jul-20 22:22:32

Just watched the drama /documentary about the murder of 18 year old teenager Anthony Walker and the life that should’ve been .

I can honestly say I have never cried so much for a long time .

Oopsminty Mon 27-Jul-20 22:25:21

Oh gillybob, wasn't it tragic?

We live not a million miles from Huyton.

I remember the case well. Didn't think it was so long ago though.

An utterly tragic waste of life. Lovely boy killed for no reason whatsoever.

gillybob Mon 27-Jul-20 22:36:31

Oh oppsminty I cried so much . Truly tragic. I can remember the case but (shamefully) didn’t give it a second thought until tonight.

kittylester Tue 28-Jul-20 06:36:22

I decided it was a step too far for my emotions at the moment. From these comments I think I made the right decision.

DH was born in Huyton.

Hetty58 Tue 28-Jul-20 06:58:26

I thought it was excellent. It showed the reality of the ongoing mindless violence and racism in the UK.

JessK Tue 28-Jul-20 09:42:58

Oh my what a powerful programme.
You can never imagine the grief of losing a child to violence but this certainly showed in graphic detail what he and his family could have missed because of his untimely death.
I applaud the programme makers. It was so thought provoking and I cried for his family. I hope they can find some sort of peace from the good works they are doing in Antony's name.

BRAVEBETH Tue 28-Jul-20 13:39:05

I thought the programme was brilliant but in floods of tears at the ends.
If only people would look at their ideas and question them occasionally. It is so sad that so many people are missing out because Antony is no longer with us. Words are so powerful and can destroy so easily. We need to challenge our ideas so they are not set in concrete.

Kate1949 Tue 28-Jul-20 14:19:09

I've just watched it. Oh my goodness.

gillybob Tue 28-Jul-20 14:21:10

It was incredibly sad wasn't it Kate1949 sad

Can't believe the scumbag who murdered him has had his sentence reduced for good behavior in prison .

Kate1949 Tue 28-Jul-20 14:27:19

How could they do that to a fellow human being? Good behaviour!!!!?

gillybob Tue 28-Jul-20 14:30:26

Exactly . He was originally given 18 years . one year for each year of Anthony Walkers life but Apparently he has been doing charity work in prison which has seen his sentence reduced by 2 years . Meaning he will be out and still young enough to rebuild his life next year . How can this be right ?

Kate1949 Tue 28-Jul-20 14:46:51

It's disgraceful.

silverlining48 Tue 28-Jul-20 15:25:10

Most prisoners serve only half their sentence and are released on licence for the rest. However the probation service has been in crisis for years so unsure how much supervision they would actually get.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 28-Jul-20 15:26:47

I couldn’t cope with it☹️

tickingbird Tue 28-Jul-20 15:37:25

I didn’t watch because I know how upsetting it would be. I remember the case well and how dignified his family were. Just senseless violence by low life scum.

DiscoGran Fri 31-Jul-20 12:37:09

I watched it yesterday, very moving and sad. Jimmy McGovern is very clever. I cried when Gee appeared at the end.

3nanny6 Fri 31-Jul-20 12:59:36

I watched the programme and it captured so well the life that Anthony should have had but sadly did not. Filmed in a very thought provoking way. The acting cast were excellent and the actor that played Anthony was brilliant.
Many things throughout the drama made me cry but I was glad I watched it.
I remember the death when it happened but was not fully aware of such a violent end it was awful.
The part when they were being chased through the park brought to mind the killing of Stephen Lawrence so it made it double sad to me.
To see his mother Gee at the end was good and of course brought more tears.