Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Sopranos?

(20 Posts)
miketom Fri 07-Aug-20 06:11:27

Fellas! I just finished watching Breaking Bad again after BCS. It was awesome. I'm really into crime dramas now. Heard 'The Sopranos' is good. Is it binge-worthy? What do you guys think? Also which platform can I get it?

notnecessarilywiser Fri 07-Aug-20 07:41:52

I haven't watched it, so can't offer an opinion.

You might find the website www.justwatch.com helpful for finding out where to watch films and programmes. According to its information, The Sopranos is available free on Now TV and SkyGo, and there are various ways to pay to see it. HTH

lemongrove Fri 07-Aug-20 08:18:30

We have just binge watched it...All episodes, fantastic ( but violent as you would expect) wonderful acting.We have Sky.

Jane10 Fri 07-Aug-20 08:28:33

I'm on the final series of the Sopranos. Thoroughly enjoying it but I do have to cover my eyes at times! Before that I binged on Boardwalk Empire. Both on Sky Atlantic which I get via NOW TV package from BT.

Urmstongran Fri 07-Aug-20 09:27:25

I loved it. I’m planning to watch the whole series for the third time this winter. I loved BB but my favourite is The Sopranos. Himself watched it with me the first time. We laughed our socks off at the episode called ‘Pine Barrens’ (season 3 episode 10). That said he didn’t want to watch it all over again. His most favourite box set? The Wire. (Which I loved too).

Orangerose Fri 07-Aug-20 09:34:52

It’s brilliant- we have Sky. Also try Mad Men. That is excellent.

Kate1949 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:03:08

I LOVED The Sopranos. When DH suggested watching it, I wasn't keen but it was my favourite series ever. I cared about all the characters, even the horrible ones. I missed it when we reached the end. Much better than Breaking Bad in my opinion.

lemongrove Fri 07-Aug-20 10:43:13

Ah The Pine Barrens!?That Russian had nine lives!
I thought Chris and Pauli may have to eat each other to stay alive.?

TerriBull Fri 07-Aug-20 12:50:38

I came to "The Sopranos" late, didn't really watch them when it was on. Our son gave us the entire box set before lock down, it took a couple of episodes and then completely hooked. Quite bereft when we finally reached the end even though they are a horrible lot. I believe it is considered to be the best television series ever! I guess that is subjective but I was completely won over.

My son also gave us "Breaking Bad" but I didn't get into it, I know that is probably a mistake because, once again, it's considered sublime, I keep meaning to give it another go. I'm afraid I didn't like the much lauded "The Wire" gave it a few episodes but no, not for me.

On the back of "The Sopranos" and those who have watched that will be familiar with Edie Falco who had to put up with Tony hmm We've been watching her in "Nurse Jackie" very much a departure from Carmella, she is also excellent in this. Again it reels the viewer in. The convoluted working and domestic life of the nurse of the title hooked on pain killers.

Jane10 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:51:14

Ooh yes dont forget 'Mad Men' I loved that too. Also binged on 'Suits'. Its so awful when you run out of episodes though.

Orangerose Fri 07-Aug-20 13:02:41

I loved My Brilliant Friend - it’s on Sky Atlantic. Third season next year. Visually stunning and beautifully acted. It’s based on a novel by Elena Ferrante.

TerriBull Fri 07-Aug-20 13:24:56

Also loved "Mad Men"

Jane10 I haven't seen "Suits" but I gather it's a poor man's "Good Wife" that I can recommend if you like a legal drama.

Jane10 Fri 07-Aug-20 14:25:47

TerriBull I found Suits when I was looking for 'Good Wife'! Meanwhile, must get back to Sopranos...

Kate1949 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:06:27

Oh yes Orangerose My Brilliant Friend is great, although I find some parts hard to watch.

Orangerose Fri 07-Aug-20 15:22:06

Kate1949

Oh yes Orangerose My Brilliant Friend is great, although I find some parts hard to watch.

Yes I know which parts you mean Kate - it is beautifully shot and very authentic. Can’t wait for the next season.

lemongrove Fri 07-Aug-20 15:29:16

We could all binge watch Game Of Thrones! That will keep us out of mischief for a while.

Kate1949 Fri 07-Aug-20 19:38:12

It is Orangerose Almost like a documentary.

TheFrugalPiggy Fri 07-Aug-20 19:46:52

We've done The Sopranos twice. James Gandofini was such an amazing actor. Breaking Bad and BCS are sensational but The Sopranos is brilliant!

annep1 Fri 07-Aug-20 19:50:15

Sopranos is very good. Highly recommend alrhough lots of sex scenes and violence. I did watch a lot with my eyes closed.
Another great crime drama is True Detective.
Mad Men fantastic too. I still miss it.

annep1 Fri 07-Aug-20 19:50:47

although!