Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Strictly 2020.

(24 Posts)
Sparklefizz Sat 22-Aug-20 18:09:59

Please not Cheryl or Alesha, and please not Anton. He had a go at presenting some sort of game show a few years ago and he was not at all good at it.

Alesha Dixon used to tell bemused middle-aged male contestants "You're so adorable". Incredibly irritating for me (and probably for them too.)

I'd like to say that I won't be watching if it's someone I can't stand on the panel, but with TV programmes being mostly repeats, it would be nice to see a programme which I've always found uplifting to watch.

One thing, though .... I do wish they'd stop pretending that the results show is filmed on Sunday. We all know it's not.

NotTooOld Sat 22-Aug-20 17:01:04

Agree. Bring back Arlene. I thought Darcy was ok. The other judges seemed a little in awe of her which rather amused me. No, we don't want Cheryl Whotsit and neither do we need Alesha Dixon. Anton would be a good choice but hasn't he semi retired to look after his twins or something? Sure I read that somewhere. Anyway, I won't be watching it if they continue with the screaming and shouting - and that's just the judges. It was much better when there was some decorum.

H1954 Sat 22-Aug-20 16:59:48

Personally, I would sooner watch paint dry! It is about as entertaining as shingles!

Peardrop50 Sat 22-Aug-20 16:54:10

Maybe it's time Anton hung up his dancing shoes and became a judge, he'd be kind and funny a perfect antidote to the acerbic but genious Craig.
I didn't like Darcy at first, she said 'oh ya' to everything but I put it down to nerves because she stopped that after a short time and is lovely now.
Please not Cheryl, false everything, Tweedy, Cole, whatever, thingamy.
Please not Alesha, you woz very good, Dixon.

Millie22 Sat 22-Aug-20 16:44:06

No I definitely won't be watching if it's Cheryl someone.

DanniRae Sat 22-Aug-20 15:46:39

GrandmasueUK - "SNAP"

GrandmasueUK Sat 22-Aug-20 15:41:07

I seriously hope it isn’t Cheryl Tweedy/Cole/Versace Thingummy. She was a judge on another dance show with Oti and someone else, which I couldn’t watch. She’s tried to reinvent herself as the nation’s sweeetheart but for me, she’ll always be the one from Girls Aloud who punched a cloakroom attendant. Classy.

DanniRae Sat 22-Aug-20 15:39:49

If Cheryl someone becomes a judge I will not be watching. I don't know what her current name is but I remember her as Cheryl Cole - she was a member of Girls Aloud....... and to say I am not fond of her is an understatement!! shock

sodapop Sat 22-Aug-20 15:36:01

I agree Jane10 Strictly is well past its sell by date now.

felice Sat 22-Aug-20 14:53:24

I read in one of the papers this morning that it could be Cheryl someone, no idea who she is ?????

EllanVannin Sat 22-Aug-20 14:37:44

Widdecombe, that's it. It was the way she was thrown along the floor like a bag of rubbish. Hilarious. I'm not keen on the woman either, but when these people who think they're " it " come a cropper it's all the funnier.

Jane10 Sat 22-Aug-20 14:33:55

It's all a caricature these days though. I gave up on it. Just too OTT.

Calendargirl Sat 22-Aug-20 14:30:20

pensionpat

I’ve read this morning that Bruno will judge. Remotely.

Apparently, it’s been confirmed he will offer his thoughts over video link without casting any votes on performances.

According to the Telegraph.

kittylester Sat 22-Aug-20 14:15:05

I like Bruno and I liked Darcey. I agree about not having the sister of a contestant as a judge.

Millie22 Sat 22-Aug-20 14:11:58

I would love Arlene back also but the BBC won't offer it to her as surely they would have to admit they should have kept her years ago.

merlotgran Sat 22-Aug-20 13:48:55

I don't like Motsi and you shouldn't have a judge who is the sister of one of the professional contestants.

pensionpat Sat 22-Aug-20 13:40:31

I’ve read this morning that Bruno will judge. Remotely.

Charleygirl5 Sat 22-Aug-20 12:54:25

I do enjoy the show and the judges absolutely should be or have been dancers themselves and not the likes of Alesha Dixon. I could not stand that woman on or off Strictly.

Getting rid of Arlene Phillips was a very big mistake.

Lucca Sat 22-Aug-20 12:06:49

EllanVannin

I'm hoping for someone funny with two left feet to take away the seriousness of the show. Like Anne " thingy " who was hilarious.

Please tell me you don’t me the ghastly “I don’t want to wear a mask “ Widdecombe!?

Lucca Sat 22-Aug-20 12:05:46

Bruno is a bit OTT but he knows his stuff and his English is so good.personally I was never keen on darcy nor motsi.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 22-Aug-20 11:59:52

Bruno (and Len) have always judged both Strictly here and Dancing with the Stars in the US. It is flying every week between the two Countries which is has become the problem since Covid-19.

Bruno has had a week off both shows in previous years as flying over the Atlantic twice a week for several months rakes it toll

EllanVannin Sat 22-Aug-20 11:04:39

I'm hoping for someone funny with two left feet to take away the seriousness of the show. Like Anne " thingy " who was hilarious.

Sparklefizz Sat 22-Aug-20 10:30:22

Yes, Bruno does get a bit silly at times but there's no doubting that he knows what he's talking about. I just hope they don't get someone like Alesha Dixon or some other pop star. It would be great to have Arlene Phillips back, wouldn't it?

I believe the Strictly group will go into a bubble 2 weeks before rehearsals start for safety, rather like the sports teams.

Calendargirl Sat 22-Aug-20 10:12:37

Just read in today’s paper that Bruno Tonioli will be missing from this year’s series when it returns in the autumn. He is in L.A. doing their version of the show, and will offer his thoughts over video link without casting any votes.

Did not realise that the series was going ahead here. Also shall not miss Bruno’s histrionics. He has become a caricature of himself over recent years.