Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Carl Beech

(5 Posts)
MawB2 Tue 25-Aug-20 10:00:32

Last night’s documentary on what must be one of the biggest police cock-ups this century made for chilling watching. Admittedly we were caught napping by the likes of Jimmy Saville and Rolf Harris, but for “nobody to be above suspicion” to have morphed into “let’s judge them guilty then start a totally flawed investigation “ was a dreadful indictment of our police.
Beech is clearly a very disturbed person but how could the investigating team have been so lax as not to check the basic facts?
This will have set reporting child abuse back years.

Sparklefizz Tue 25-Aug-20 10:04:59

I watched it too, MawB2 and totally agree.

He was claiming all those injuries - broken bones etc - and yet there were no medical check-ups by police which would have immediately shown him to be a liar..... and saved £2 million plus in investigation costs, let alone the terrible effects on the wrongly accused people.

Oldwoman70 Tue 25-Aug-20 10:35:55

I missed the beginning of this, but just looking at his body language in the police interviews screamed at me that this was someone who had lied through his teeth and had now been caught out.

The damage he has done is immense, not only to the people he accused but also whether genuine victims will now hesitate to come forward.

Doodledog Tue 25-Aug-20 10:49:57

I found the programme disappointing. I had hoped to find out something about Beech’s motivation for his allegations, but it was more of a description of the events of the case, which stretched out for an hour and a half.

TwiceAsNice Thu 27-Aug-20 11:00:39

I have recorded it but not yet seen it. From reading about it in the papers at the time he managed to ruin the reputations of several well known people and the police seemed to have checked nothing and just believed him.