Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Us - New Sunday night BBC 1 drama.

(90 Posts)
TerriBull Mon 21-Sep-20 07:30:05

At last a Sunday night drama to look forward to. After the lack luster "Luminaries" and slightly dreary at times "A Suitable Boy" "Us" kicked off well straight away for me. David Nicholls books are equally good on the screen as they are to read. I liked the switch between the early developing relationship of the couple and the present time. Tom Hollander, is always great imo, and does world weary very well.

ElaineI Mon 21-Sep-20 16:51:56

I quite enjoyed it. DH didn't as he said it wasn't funny. I wasn't aware it was meant to be and I feel he maybe recognised himself a bit in it.

Maggiemaybe Mon 21-Sep-20 16:55:01

I enjoyed it, it seems just right for a Sunday evening. If I remember correctly, I wasn't keen on the wife in the book either, Millie22.

Deedaa Mon 21-Sep-20 18:07:02

I nearly didn't watch but couldn't resist the lure of Tom Hollander. I loved it and found the hour passed very quickly. As DD is a biochemist and a lot of the family are arty there was just so much to relate to. Loved his lecture on "chemicals" and her trying to explain why they really didn't need to see the Mona Lisa just because they were in the Louvre. Been there, had all those arguments with people.

grannyrebel7 Mon 21-Sep-20 19:33:40

I felt really sorry for the geeky husband. Made me laugh when he was counting his steps. My DH does this, he has to get 12,000 in every day or he's not happy! It was quite watchable but I didn't love it.

pollyperkins Mon 21-Sep-20 19:39:08

I loved it too. Husband enjoyed it too. I’ve read the book and think they did it well (so far anyway.) Enjoyed the humour as well as the pathos.

Luckygirl Mon 21-Sep-20 22:21:34

Saw the first episode on catch-up today and thought it was excellent.

travelsafar Wed 23-Sep-20 07:59:46

Ihave watched the whole thing on catch up and to be honest it could have been condensed down to 2 episodes. Parts of it were very predictable and not something i would have rushed to watch if i had known.

Luckygirl Wed 23-Sep-20 15:23:42

I too have watched it all on catch-up and gradually the appeal for me dawned on me.

Hollander's character is so like my OH, who was also a scientist/doctor with that slightly rigid measured approach to life - a bit lacking in spontaneity and wanting everything done by the book. He was also a very anxious man who would issue dire earnings to us all at every turn. Above all else, he also had an off-the-wall wit and humour, making subtle jokes that seemed to come from left-field.

But, unlike the Hollander character, he was a warm and loving father, always praising the girls and boosting their confidence.

Luckygirl Wed 23-Sep-20 15:43:19

Warnings!

Barmeyoldbat Wed 23-Sep-20 15:45:04

We both watched it, well I saw some it as I kept falling asleep. I thought the acting was wooden and after watching The Bridge with its brilliant acting and facial expressions I am afraid US was a come down.

honeyrose Thu 24-Sep-20 00:50:13

Update on “Us”. I thought it would be rather cheesy and it is a bit, but i’m quite enjoying it, to my surprise. I’ve even watched episode 2 which has yet to be aired, but available on i player.

quizqueen Thu 24-Sep-20 03:07:54

All the characters in it were extremely annoying and unlikeable and the plot was dire. I won't be watching again next week.

Luckygirl Thu 24-Sep-20 09:36:02

I have watched them all on iplayer and it was excellent.

grannyticktock Thu 24-Sep-20 14:14:39

I have read the book of "Us" and enjoyed it; like most of the book-readers here, I'm also enjoying the TV version. It's not high drama, but the characters are well drawn and acted, and the conversations and situations quite true to life. It's quite undemanding in that there's only a small cast and it's easy to follow but entertaining - just what I need sometimes, especially these days. It's all available on iPlayer now, but I've only seen the first episode.

Alegrias Thu 24-Sep-20 14:29:41

I didn't think I'd like it but after a slow start episode one grew on me. I feel sorry for the Tom Hollander character, he's feeling a bit left out I think and doesn't know how to fix it.

Very annoyed though with the breakfast-stealing one night stand!

suziewoozie Thu 24-Sep-20 15:29:18

There were a lot of laugh out loud moments for me and I thought the characters were a believable mix of warts and all. I started watching it with low expectations so was pleasantly surprised

Glad Only Connect is back in a SD way of course

Happiyogi Thu 24-Sep-20 17:27:42

I was really looking forward to it but found it lame and embarrassing, a bit like an old fashioned sitcom. Disappointing.

Gfplux Thu 24-Sep-20 19:36:02

We liked US a lot and can’t wait for the next episode,

BlueBelle Thu 24-Sep-20 21:17:15

I ve only just caught up with it on my IPlayer and I love it watched two episodes so far and may watch the other two befire Sunday because I m really liking it a lot
I think the acting is good and believable and the flash backS are understandable Poor old Douglas is quite Aspergy but rather sweet in his earnest way

Eloethan Thu 24-Sep-20 23:16:56

I quite enjoyed the beginning but I too started to find the wife annoying (not the young version) - she was just too good to be true.

I much preferred the book.

Curlywhirly Sun 27-Sep-20 22:46:14

I have just watched it - but it doesn't ring true to me, who could possibly want to leave the lovely Tom Hollander!

Elrel Mon 28-Sep-20 02:06:38

Wanted to like it but don’t.

BlueBelle Mon 28-Sep-20 06:13:33

Loved it so much I binge watched on a cold wet very very windy Saturday with a strawberry and lime cider and a large packet of hand cooked crisps and it was wonderful I enjoyed every minute of it and found it very true to life (apart from one part which I won’t mention and can forgive)

NfkDumpling Mon 28-Sep-20 07:55:29

Last night's episode left me feeling quite anxious and concerned for them all. I think I'm getting too involved!

LullyDully Mon 28-Sep-20 08:30:32

Having a bit of a problem with the chronology, as they are too old. They don't look to me like they were first together in 2000, 20 years ago. I find myself trying to justify the maths. They are now late 50s and look in their 20s when first together.

Apart from that, it is enjoyable. He is a bit of an annoying character and the other two have been very long suffering. Interesting to see how it ends.