Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Us - New Sunday night BBC 1 drama.

(90 Posts)
TerriBull Mon 21-Sep-20 07:30:05

At last a Sunday night drama to look forward to. After the lack luster "Luminaries" and slightly dreary at times "A Suitable Boy" "Us" kicked off well straight away for me. David Nicholls books are equally good on the screen as they are to read. I liked the switch between the early developing relationship of the couple and the present time. Tom Hollander, is always great imo, and does world weary very well.

Atqui Mon 28-Sep-20 11:35:38

I agree with Lully Dully- they’ve been married twenty years and we’re obv quite young when they married which by my calculation puts them or her ( wasn’t she at art school?) in early to mid forties. I’m enjoying it but can’t ‘get past’ the wife looking much too old.Tom H s age seems indeterminate

BlueBelle Mon 28-Sep-20 11:33:50

In my opinion Douglas is certainly a bit on the Asperger s scale but very sweet and tries hard to make amends He’s precise. a number cruncher, a bit of an old bore but loving and kind and tries to meet his wife’s needs

I don’t see why you say they are too old perhaps they haven’t worn so well anyway Albi was their second child making them maybe in their early 40 s

Alexa Mon 28-Sep-20 11:31:24

It was forgettable, but more substantial than Harlots and A Suitable Boy. Will watch it again if nothing betetr to do.

Alegrias Mon 28-Sep-20 11:24:46

I feel sorry for the husband, she knew what he was like when she married him! He's not a bad guy, just quite irritating. Mind you we don't yet know the whole story of the years from 2000 to today.

merlotgran Mon 28-Sep-20 11:21:25

I'm trying to see things from the husband's angle but I really wanted her to shove him in the canal.

Pittcity Mon 28-Sep-20 11:18:54

trisher

I think it's the perpetual inability to enjoy anythng the husband does that is making me dislike her. I try to see things from her point of view but when he was on a boat on the canal I couldn't see why you would rather sit in a cafe getting drunk than enjoy that boat ride. When you are 17 maybe but once you are past 40?

Is it because that was the life she put aside to marry him in the first place?

trisher Mon 28-Sep-20 11:14:39

I think it's the perpetual inability to enjoy anythng the husband does that is making me dislike her. I try to see things from her point of view but when he was on a boat on the canal I couldn't see why you would rather sit in a cafe getting drunk than enjoy that boat ride. When you are 17 maybe but once you are past 40?

Sparklefizz Mon 28-Sep-20 10:16:49

Yes, I am "team husband", definitely not "team wife". He is trying to make changes to please her, she is not prepared to compromise at all. When she said she couldn't go on with the holiday any more because it had "become unbearable", she should have had my marriage ... that was unbearable!

trisher Mon 28-Sep-20 10:03:00

I didn't recognise her either! I'm finding the mother harder and harder to like, the son I can forgive when he's a bit obnoxious- he's young, but the mother is impossible.

Pittcity Mon 28-Sep-20 08:59:54

Loved Sofie Grabol though. Didn't recognise her at first because she wasn't wearing a jumper!

Charleygirl5 Mon 28-Sep-20 08:57:29

I watched it last night but for me, it is bordering on dire. I did enjoy seeing Amsterdam. I could not stand Albi's newfound loud girlfriend Kat and I am none too keen on the mother.

honeyrose Mon 28-Sep-20 08:57:14

LullyDully, you’re right about the chronology - they’re too old to have such a young son, unless the next episode (episode 3) explains everything (without “spoiling” the plot for those yet to watch). I enjoyed Us more than I thought I would because, TBH, I occasionally like to watch something that’s undemanding and entertaining and takes my mind off all the issues of the day which are so depressing and worrying - COVID, Brexit, climate change etc etc.

Puzzler61 Mon 28-Sep-20 08:50:24

Just posted this on the What are You Watching thread re: “US”.
It is intriguing me,
Is Albi the natural son of his ‘Father’?
He shares blonde hair and creative traits of his Mum
but maybe she had an affair (bored with hubby?) and Albi was the result?
or was his father a ‘sperm donor’ and isn’t his real father? Perhaps that’s why there is no real empathy between father and son?
Their first born was a girl who didn’t survive but we don’t know why yet. They both said they “still miss her” in the first episode.
I could “binge watch” but don’t know how to ?

Gingster Mon 28-Sep-20 08:42:19

Watched the first episode but didn’t bother with last nights. Not great acting and I’m not keen on Tom Holland as an actor. Always find him a bit daft.

LullyDully Mon 28-Sep-20 08:30:32

Having a bit of a problem with the chronology, as they are too old. They don't look to me like they were first together in 2000, 20 years ago. I find myself trying to justify the maths. They are now late 50s and look in their 20s when first together.

Apart from that, it is enjoyable. He is a bit of an annoying character and the other two have been very long suffering. Interesting to see how it ends.

NfkDumpling Mon 28-Sep-20 07:55:29

Last night's episode left me feeling quite anxious and concerned for them all. I think I'm getting too involved!

BlueBelle Mon 28-Sep-20 06:13:33

Loved it so much I binge watched on a cold wet very very windy Saturday with a strawberry and lime cider and a large packet of hand cooked crisps and it was wonderful I enjoyed every minute of it and found it very true to life (apart from one part which I won’t mention and can forgive)

Elrel Mon 28-Sep-20 02:06:38

Wanted to like it but don’t.

Curlywhirly Sun 27-Sep-20 22:46:14

I have just watched it - but it doesn't ring true to me, who could possibly want to leave the lovely Tom Hollander!

Eloethan Thu 24-Sep-20 23:16:56

I quite enjoyed the beginning but I too started to find the wife annoying (not the young version) - she was just too good to be true.

I much preferred the book.

BlueBelle Thu 24-Sep-20 21:17:15

I ve only just caught up with it on my IPlayer and I love it watched two episodes so far and may watch the other two befire Sunday because I m really liking it a lot
I think the acting is good and believable and the flash backS are understandable Poor old Douglas is quite Aspergy but rather sweet in his earnest way

Gfplux Thu 24-Sep-20 19:36:02

We liked US a lot and can’t wait for the next episode,

Happiyogi Thu 24-Sep-20 17:27:42

I was really looking forward to it but found it lame and embarrassing, a bit like an old fashioned sitcom. Disappointing.

suziewoozie Thu 24-Sep-20 15:29:18

There were a lot of laugh out loud moments for me and I thought the characters were a believable mix of warts and all. I started watching it with low expectations so was pleasantly surprised

Glad Only Connect is back in a SD way of course

Alegrias Thu 24-Sep-20 14:29:41

I didn't think I'd like it but after a slow start episode one grew on me. I feel sorry for the Tom Hollander character, he's feeling a bit left out I think and doesn't know how to fix it.

Very annoyed though with the breakfast-stealing one night stand!