Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

First Man - Netflix film

(23 Posts)
Alegrias Sun 27-Sep-20 15:51:27

The truth is out there Davidhs. grin

But phosphine on Venus is real science, and very exciting!

Davidhs Sun 27-Sep-20 15:50:52

I did see a shuttle launch back in 1990 from Coco Beach really close to the space centre, so lucky, just awesome.

Davidhs Sun 27-Sep-20 15:47:32

We have archeology going back thousands of years, geology millions of years, there has been nothing conclusive revealed. Maybe the space travelers are amongst us hiding the evidence or the secret government services concealing evidence.
Maybe Covid 19 was released by aliens to destroy us, whatever the speculation they are going to be far smarter than us so we carry on surviving as long as we can.

Alegrias Sun 27-Sep-20 12:33:21

This wasn't covered much on the news but it's exciting - life on Venus?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-54133538

Alegrias Sun 27-Sep-20 12:24:09

How wonderful Jane43 to have seen a launch, even though it was from far away!

I went to a conference in Florida a few years ago. We had a free day and my 2 colleagues wanted to go shopping, I wanted to go the Space Centre. We compromised on the Space Centre in the morning, shopping in the afternoon. We never got to go shopping - they loved the Space Centre so much we never left!

As part of the conference we had a speech from Gene Krantz, the Flight Director from Apollo 13. He talked about how they got them home, it was inspirational.

Jane43 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:54:48

tickingbird

*I do believe that life exists elsewhere in the universe, if they are so advanced that they are watching and visiting us we would not know about it, much less be able to capture them or their transport.*

Davidhs As Edgar Mitchell (walked on moon) said, they’re not hostile or we would have been gone a long time ago and they purposely let us see them. I never really believed but I 100% do now.

Yes my mind is open to that too.

Jane43 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:43:58

We are also very curious about Area 51 and have driven past the supposed vicinity twice, it’s quite a spooky feeling.

Didn’t a previous POTUS disclose some facts about alien visitations and UFOs? Also a United Nations Official claimed to have been abducted. I wish I could remember the details but I have read so much over the years my ageing brain can’t bring it to mind. I will google it later for my own satisfaction.

Jane43 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:36:09

Davidhs

“I’m curious as to why you feel your wife would have been upset by the commentary of the space flight?”

Because like many men ( and some women) I am a risk taker, if she knew the risks I was taking she would have had kittens, what she didn’t know about she couldn’t worry over!.

LOL

Ah, I understand now, thank you.

Jane43 Sun 27-Sep-20 11:34:20

Alegrias

You're welcome Jane43.

I thought about another film. Hidden Figures, about the women who did the calculations the moon shot relied on. Yes, I might be a bit obsessed smile

Yes my daughter-in-law told me about Hidden Figures and it is very good.

I’m a bit obsessed too. We used to spend a lot of time in Florida and over about 15 years there were several space shuttle launches while we were there but they were always postponed due to weather conditions or technical problems. The last time we tried to see one we had a good vantage point and were sitting on our fold up chairs, it came to within a few minutes of the launch and although it seemed like a beautiful day it was put off until the next day because of the anticipated weather conditions. It was only about an hour and quarter’s drive to our house but the volume of traffic made it much longer. The next day we turned on the tv and the possibility of a launch was much lower so we decided against going. Inevitably it happened, we were able to go outside and look to the east and saw it going up but of course nothing like being up close. We have visited the Space Centre in Florida a few times though and The Space Shuttle Museum in Los Angeles, absolutely fascinating.

tickingbird Sat 26-Sep-20 20:23:10

I do believe that life exists elsewhere in the universe, if they are so advanced that they are watching and visiting us we would not know about it, much less be able to capture them or their transport.

Davidhs As Edgar Mitchell (walked on moon) said, they’re not hostile or we would have been gone a long time ago and they purposely let us see them. I never really believed but I 100% do now.

Davidhs Sat 26-Sep-20 14:32:09

“I’m curious as to why you feel your wife would have been upset by the commentary of the space flight?”

Because like many men ( and some women) I am a risk taker, if she knew the risks I was taking she would have had kittens, what she didn’t know about she couldn’t worry over!.

LOL

MerylStreep Sat 26-Sep-20 12:43:00

David
Have you seen the documentary on Travis Walton?
If no, and you have Prime, give it a look. It's the story of his abduction.
It might also be interesting to the sceptics ?

Alegrias Sat 26-Sep-20 12:34:25

You're welcome Jane43.

I thought about another film. Hidden Figures, about the women who did the calculations the moon shot relied on. Yes, I might be a bit obsessed smile

Jane43 Sat 26-Sep-20 12:28:36

Alegrias, thank you for your post about the benefits arising from the space race, very illuminating.

Jane43 Sat 26-Sep-20 12:25:55

Thank you for your insight Davidh. I understand that when the space race was announced by JFK it was very popular because of the Cold War and the possibility of the Russians making it first. According to the film, by 1969 the money being spent on the venture was resented by members of society who were undergoing hardship because of the government spending on that and the Vietnam war but of course when the landing was successful those people probably joined in the celebration.

Yes the film was dramatised, it never claimed to be a documentary but I found it very thought provoking and I also wondered if mankind had benefited from it at all. Yes my father served in the army throughout WW2 and missed a great deal of my brother’s first five years and he later served 30:years in the police force and our family life was affected substantially by his service. His father before him served in WW1 and was in the trenches but he never talked about it. However I do feel the level of risk the astronauts faced was much greater than anything experienced ever before by man but we will have to disagree on that.

I’m curious as to why you feel your wife would have been upset by the commentary of the space flight?

Alegrias Sat 26-Sep-20 12:21:32

Loved the film! If you can find it, try also "The Right Stuff". Its from the book by Tom Wolfe and looks at the start of the Apollo program.

Davidhs: Did Armstrong and the rest face less risk than the soldiers in Vietnam? On balance, probably yes. But we'd never had a manned space program before in the West and every time they stepped on board, they risked being incinerated, like Gus Grissom and the crew of Apollo 1. Or stranded and unable to get home. Its an odd comparison to make though.

Was it worthwhile? Has mankind benefitted? Would our lives be different without it? Yes. Here's some examples:

"Lightweight breathing masks used by astronauts are now commonplace for firefighters and have made the vocation much safer.
Cordless tools, modern computer microchips, smoke detectors and even the transparent brackets commonly used for straightening teeth can all be traced back to the moon missions.
More recently, in their work developing more lightweight, sustainable materials for space exploration, space scientists have stumbled upon solutions for modern pacemakers.
Similarly, new image analysis software – used to aid spacecrafts in landing on unknown surfaces – can be used in hospitals to detect cancer in 3D."

But the real point was, we showed we can do whatever we set our minds to.

Jane43 Sat 26-Sep-20 12:01:02

tickingbird

Try watching ‘The Day Before Disclosure’ on Prime and you’ll be surprised what’s already possible!!

Thank you I’ve made a note of that.

Davidhs Fri 25-Sep-20 20:53:42

I do believe that life exists elsewhere in the universe, if they are so advanced that they are watching and visiting us we would not know about it, much less be able to capture them or their transport.
Lots of unexplained stuff, space invaders, no.

There are also those that believe the moon landings were a hoax.

tickingbird Fri 25-Sep-20 18:16:45

Try watching ‘The Day Before Disclosure’ on Prime and you’ll be surprised what’s already possible!!

Davidhs Fri 25-Sep-20 18:12:40

The space race was a political decision taken by JFK in 1962 as for popularity - it didn’t seem unpopular at the time. Certainly the Vietnam War was less popular, and a great deal more expensive in lives and dollars, that ended in failure, at least the moon landings were a success.

The sacrifices in family life is taken by every member of the armed forces, they can be sent away for many months, families have no idea what risks they are facing, or wether they are going to be killed or maimed. I would suggest that Neil Armstrong faced a lower level of risk than the Marines in Vietnam, certainly less than our own men in the trenches in WW1. The film was dramatized, wether it is an accurate record I have no idea, personally I would not have wanted my wife to listen to the commentary live of the space flight, it was guaranteed to upset her.

With hindsight was it all worthwhile?, human endeavor has no bounds, we had to prove that it could be done just like climbing Everest, running faster or jumping higher.
Has mankind benefited, 50 yrs on I don’t think our lives would be much different, the scientists would say our understanding of the universe is important. Maybe in another 50 yrs interplanetary travel will be possible, even essential, only time will tell.

gulligranny Fri 25-Sep-20 18:12:06

Yes, I saw it in the cinema as well - very thought-provoking, and some excellent acting.

Ealdemodor Fri 25-Sep-20 15:37:14

Remember seeing it at the Cinema in the good old days!
Great film.

Jane43 Thu 24-Sep-20 14:09:42

We watched this film about the 1969 Moon landing last night. We learnt so much about how unpopular the mission was with US citizens, how dangerous it was for the astronauts and the price Neil Armstrong paid in terms of family life. Ryan Gosling plays N A and Clare Foy his wife. We both found it very moving and one of those films you think about a long time after you have watched it.