Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

My Octopus Teacher - Netflix

(22 Posts)
Oopsminty Fri 02-Oct-20 09:19:39

Has anyone seen this?

I wholeheartedly recommend it. A chap basically befriends an octopus in the sea. He visits daily and the octopus starts to trust him.

It does sound rather an odd idea but it's fabulous

And I never dreamed I'd be in floods of tears thanks to an octopus

Washerwoman Sun 04-Oct-20 20:37:44

This was a beautiful film and reduced me to tears too.Thank you so much for the recommendation.
Visually stunning- and what an amazing relationship between a man and an incredible wild animal.

Craicon Sun 04-Oct-20 20:39:31

Yes, it’s stunning.

fevertree Sun 04-Oct-20 21:55:40

I've also recommended this on a different thread. There's a lot more to the film than the 'friendship' that develops, it is also a wonderful journey of the filmmaker's recovery from a breakdown. Such an uplifting film.

fevertree Sun 04-Oct-20 21:56:54

... a wonderful account ...
smile

travelsafar Wed 07-Oct-20 16:32:13

Thanks for making this film known. It is amazing and very emotional towards the end. Something different from the normal wildlife films. Throughly enjoyed. 10/10

MayBee70 Wed 07-Oct-20 20:29:30

Did anyone see the other documentary about a man who had an octopus living in his house. He built a huge tank for it and he and his daughter had a great relationship with it. I’m not sure if I can watch another programme about an octopus though, because they are high up on the list of my favourite creatures but they don’t live very long. And they are so incredibly clever.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Oct-20 20:30:42

Oh, I don’t have Netflix anyway so can’t watch it. Does it have a happy ending? I fear that it doesn’t.

fevertree Wed 07-Oct-20 20:37:00

Maybee the film follows the life span of the octopus. It is a strangely uplifting film.

fevertree Wed 07-Oct-20 20:38:54

I watched the film you mention too, about the octopus living in a tank in a living room. This is a very different film! Following an octopus in the wild over such a long period of time is unprecedented.

MayBee70 Wed 07-Oct-20 22:19:32

Dare I ask how long it lived for? It amazes me how large they can get in such a short space of time. I fell in love with cephalopods after seeing a programme about cuttlefish many years ago. Get really upset seeing octopus hanging up in foreign fish markets! They are such amazing creatures and so totally alien to everything else on the planet.

avitorl Wed 07-Oct-20 22:32:32

I watched it after reading recommendations on here and think it is an absolutely amazing film.It is very moving.Octopus life span is about 1 year.The film does not show humans hunting or killing sea life,no cruelty involved.

LauraNorder Wed 07-Oct-20 22:36:26

Off to bed to find the film. Will report back tomorrow.

Oopsminty Wed 07-Oct-20 23:18:32

I'm glad that you've enjoyed it.

Quite a beautiful film.

LauraNorder Thu 08-Oct-20 00:18:35

Oh yes, it was lovely and yes I can’t believe I cried over an octopus but I did.
Beautiful photography and so interesting.
Thanks for the recommendation oopsminty. Night night.

CocoPops Thu 08-Oct-20 04:12:46

Fantastic photography. Apparently was 10 years in the making. A wonderful story and one to remember.

FannyCornforth Thu 08-Oct-20 04:19:59

I'm going to watch it tomorrow too (well, today really -Thursday).
I saw the other octopus documentary.
That was very enjoyable and interesting.
Fascinating creatures.

shysal Thu 08-Oct-20 19:26:33

Watched this this evening. I loved it! Thank you for the recommendation. I only sign up to Netfix for the occasional item I want to watch. Well worth the money.

vickymeldrew Fri 09-Oct-20 02:53:14

Thank you to everyone who highlighted this beautiful film.
Wonderful on so many levels.

baubles Fri 09-Oct-20 21:43:40

I’ve been telling everyone about this extraordinary documentary since it was recommended to me. I’ll rewatch this weekend, it’s a thing of beauty.

NotSpaghetti Fri 09-Oct-20 22:02:45

I liked this film too.
I was pleased to see the son diving towards the end.

MayBee70 Tue 05-Apr-22 14:26:27

Finally got to see this. My sons staying with us so I can watch things using his fire stick. It was indeed lovely. I know a lot about octopuses anyway so most if it didn’t surprise me but I was still mesmerised. Wasn’t sure how he managed to film so much of it without using oxygen, though. Do male octopuses live longer, I wonder?