Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dark - German TV series. Anyone watched?

(27 Posts)
GagaJo Thu 08-Oct-20 08:30:17

I have been watching a German TV series called Dark online. It is very very atmospheric and creepy.

Has anyone else watched this? I am really gripped by it, but find watching it late at night a bit tense.

Witzend Sun 11-Oct-20 08:57:00

Thanks for that, GrandmaSue - you’ve given me an idea for dh for Christmas - Spiral series on DVD!

Toadinthehole Sat 10-Oct-20 10:48:52

I thought it sounded familiar, we’ve watched loads of European dramas ( they’re so good ), but my husband said we wouldn’t have watched this, because I can’t watch anything that’s got a supernatural twist. Does it have closure at the end, which is what I always need? Or is it like “ The Ring” for example, where you’re just left to stew all night??

Jane43 Sat 10-Oct-20 10:43:43

GagaJo

Beware, Dark is VERY confusing. To start with I googled everything I didn't understand but now I just go with it. It adds to the sense of mystery!

I’m glad I’m not the only one! Like you in the end I just relaxed and watched without worrying about who was who and in which time zone.

GagaJo Fri 09-Oct-20 14:00:37

Beware, Dark is VERY confusing. To start with I googled everything I didn't understand but now I just go with it. It adds to the sense of mystery!

19Maria61 Fri 09-Oct-20 13:56:45

Sounds like you need to look out for programs by “Walter Presents” such a change from our telly

dahlia Thu 08-Oct-20 19:38:42

I understand the final series of "Spiral" is in production and should appear on BBC. Can't wait!
We also enjoyed "Cardinal" - did anyone else see it on BBC4?

Gwyneth Thu 08-Oct-20 19:18:52

I saw Dark as I was flicking through Netflix and thought it looked good. After the positive comments I will definitely watch it now. I can recommend The Fall with Gillian Anderson on Netflix. Currently watching Ratched but only first episode so far but enjoying it.

TerriBull Thu 08-Oct-20 19:18:07

Another huge fan of Spiral here, I think we are going to get at least one more, do hope so!

I'll have to Google this "Dark" recommendation, sounds promising.

GagaJo Thu 08-Oct-20 18:44:36

It does creep me out a bit Luckygirl. The building I live in used to be a Catholic seminary and I do get the collywobbles a bit after watching it at night.

Luckygirl Thu 08-Oct-20 17:42:26

I can't cope with creepy now I am living on my own! So I will give Dark a miss!

Grannmarie Thu 08-Oct-20 17:21:52

Thanks, Gagajo, I'll give Dark a try.

I've enjoyed a few foreign language series lately, subtitles are my default setting anyway!

I loved Spiral, Deutschland 84, The Bridge, Call my Agent, Twin... ( for fans of Tormund the Wildling from G of T....)

A few years ago, I watched a super Sky Arts Spanish drama series, Isabel, about Ferdinand and Isabella. I followed the first few seasons then it disappeared, I've never been able to find the final season. Hate it when that happens!

Pinkquartz, I started watching Ratched, but gave up about halfway. It's stunning visually, with strong female characters, but it became very gory and gruesome, alright if you liked American Horror story.

Thanks for all the recommendations.??

GagaJo Thu 08-Oct-20 16:58:21

I started watching the first series and of the effects are cringingly bad. Love the characters though.

GrandmasueUK Thu 08-Oct-20 16:24:17

I've watched all the Spiral Series'. I ended up buying the earlier series on DVD, as I didn't want to watch it online.

GagaJo Thu 08-Oct-20 13:52:48

I loved Devs Jane43. Even the ending was good which isn't usual. Often endings are a letdown.

silverlining48 Thu 08-Oct-20 13:38:14

Thanks all, will watch out fir Dark and The frozen sky. We have netflix but not sure about All4, unless that's just one of the many channels on our tv.

BBbevan Thu 08-Oct-20 13:23:11

Thanks for the recommendation GagaJo We watch a lot of foreign television, so will give Dark a try. Just finished a quite gentle film called The Frozen Sky. on All 4 Again a German programme about an autistic boy.

Witzend Thu 08-Oct-20 13:22:29

Is Spiral on any of the catch-up or pay channels, e.g. Netflix?
We’ve really enjoyed what we’ve seen but have been unable to find any more series for the TV. Don’t want to watch it on a computer or iPad screen.

I was surprised to learn that such an excellent series was only a minority thing in France - on a pay channel only. Apparently that was because it doesn’t invariably portray the police in a good light.

Jane43 Thu 08-Oct-20 13:12:32

I watched Dark on the recommendation of my son and DIL. There is no question that it is very good but my 77 year old brain did find the jumping about in time very challenging and also the fact that some characters were featured in different time periods was very challenging. I found I was occasionally having to text son and DIL to answer my questions.

If you like that sort of thing you may like to watch Devs which is on BBC iPlayer.

Jane43 Thu 08-Oct-20 13:02:40

travelsafar

Which channel is Dark on please???

Dark is on Netflix, there are three series.

pinkquartz Thu 08-Oct-20 13:00:09

Spiral is one of my all time favourite series.

It began on BBC4 over 11 years ago.

I shall give Dark a try soon, currently trying Ratched but not sure what to make of it.

anna7 Thu 08-Oct-20 12:56:08

I'll try Spiral GagaJo. It sounds like something I would like. I watched Dark on Netflix Travelsafar. I'm watching a Spanish series, Heist, on Netflix atm. It's ok but a bit daft. Not nearly as good as Dark.

GagaJo Thu 08-Oct-20 11:40:33

I found it on a website I use to watch online. Bflix.to.

travelsafar Thu 08-Oct-20 11:38:59

Which channel is Dark on please???

GagaJo Thu 08-Oct-20 11:37:53

anna7

I've watched all 3 series of Dark. I thought it was excellent. I need something else to watch now.

I liked a French series Spiral very much. I found the whole 7 or 8 series online and am going to go back to rewatch from the beginning because I've only seen the most recent 2 series.

anna7 Thu 08-Oct-20 09:46:17

I've watched all 3 series of Dark. I thought it was excellent. I need something else to watch now.