Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Secret Scotland with Susan Calman

(20 Posts)
Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 20:04:42

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend this delightful programme on Channel 5.
My husband and I are making a list of places to visit after lockdown, we didn't even know existed.

Thank you to the lovely Gransnetter who sent me a message alerting me to the visit to the shop making Scottish macaroons.

Maybiteifstartled Mon 19-Oct-20 20:06:28

I only discovered it last week and am watching from Series 1 on catch-up.

Love Susan Calman - what a little pocket rocket she is smile. When she tears up and gets emotional about something it’s clear she really means it.

Sparklefizz Mon 19-Oct-20 20:31:16

I love the scenery but get fed up with Susan Calman gurning to the camera.

trisher Mon 19-Oct-20 20:35:17

I love this. She's done a few places I have been to but she gets into the bits you don't see. I think she's a refreshing change from presenters who are so busy posing they daren't show any real emotion. So many other places I would love to go.

Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 20:41:33

She seems to make her guests very relaxed.

Kate1949 Mon 19-Oct-20 20:42:45

We've watched it from series 1. It's delightful. We must get to Scotland one day.

paddyanne Mon 19-Oct-20 21:15:50

If you like this look for Urban Secrets on i player ,Its presented by Alan Cummings and throws up some really interesting things about cities I thought I knew well.Not all Scottish..across the UK

Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 21:19:27

Thanks Paddyanne. Will look for it.

ninathenana Tue 20-Oct-20 07:43:29

Susan can be slightly irritating and over enthusiastic at times but the scenery and the history make up for it.

Marydoll Tue 20-Oct-20 07:51:15

I find her enthusiasm cheers me up. She obviously loves what she is doing.

NanKate Tue 20-Oct-20 08:01:40

Susan Calman is such a delight. Whatever she is paid she is worth it,

Whenever I look at the beautiful Scottish scenery I’m surprised that the weather looks so good. I have this false impression that it is always cold and raining up there.

Parsley3 Wed 21-Oct-20 09:31:55

I enjoy this programme. I didn't know about the underground fuel tanks from WW2.

Ailidh Wed 21-Oct-20 10:23:29

Sparklefizz

I love the scenery but get fed up with Susan Calman gurning to the camera.

I'm with you on the gurning! And the making everything a bit of a giggle.
I loved looking at all the places but her manner irritated me, although I've liked her in other things.

Shame, because this Ancient(ish) Scot, who has lived very happily in England for 6 decades, started to teach herself Gaelic a few weeks ago, and is having a phase of rediscovering her roots.

Tha mi ag ionnsachadh na G\aidhlig, just in case there might be any other Gaelic speakers on here. If not, it just says "I am learning Gaelic" ~ I'm still at the "It is rainy", "Look, a dog" stage..... :D

Sparklefizz Wed 21-Oct-20 10:30:43

Ailidh I liked Susan on Strictly and other programmes, as you say ... but anyway, I put up with her because the scenery is stunning.

Well done on starting to learn Gaelic. From what you've written above, it doesn't look easy!

Davida1968 Wed 21-Oct-20 10:43:02

DH & I enjoy "Secret Scotland" (and watched the earlier series.) We find it to be interesting, varied, informative, and showing wonderful scenery. (Like others, we feel inspired to visit Scotland - when this is allowed!) This programme is just what we need at the moment - and is appreciated all the more, for that.

Daddima Wed 21-Oct-20 12:44:31

I don’t like her, but, as others have said, the scenery more than compensates.
( Mind you, her pronunciation of ‘ Auld Lang Zyne’ in the Ayrshire and Arran episode was shocking!)

jacq10 Wed 21-Oct-20 22:02:01

I've just finished watching Frank Skinner & Denise Mina (Scottish writer) on Sky Arts following in the footsteps of Boswell & Johnson in Scotland around the 1770's. Thoroughly enjoyed it but I also enjoyed Secret Scotland although not a big fan of Susan Calman.

Feelingmyage55 Wed 21-Oct-20 22:36:13

It is indeed a lovely programme, light, but with new information. Very relaxing.

Anniezee Thu 22-Oct-20 13:48:57

Love love love Susan Calman.

Floradora9 Thu 22-Oct-20 21:54:37

She has been to the town I live in now and the town in Fife I used to live in . I find her a bit irritating but nice to see the places she visits.