Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Rock stars of the past

(7 Posts)
NanKate Wed 21-Oct-20 07:16:12

I see that Spencer Davis has died at the age of 81 on Monday. His music was part of my teenage years. How sad. RIP ?

Calendargirl Wed 21-Oct-20 07:21:05

You just don’t realise how old they are. To me, they will remain in my memory as they looked on Top of the Pops, way back in the 60’s and 70’s.

J52 Wed 21-Oct-20 07:35:48

How sad. I guess he didn’t ‘Keep on Running’ RIP.

Humbertbear Wed 21-Oct-20 08:17:03

Saw them play in Leicester at the teacher training college in 1966. My then boyfriend’s brother was graduating and we went to the ball. I bought my first evening dress for the occasion from Dickens and Jones in their under £20 room. I’d seen an advert for them - my mother had never been in the store, thinking it too posh.

TerriBull Wed 21-Oct-20 08:20:34

That's a shame, quite a spate of rock star deaths lately. I remember dancing around to "Keep on running" aged about 12 and wearing my favourite clothes, skinny rib jumper and hipster bell bottoms. That song, among others, conjures up a lot of memories of living at a time when little old England was at the fore of everything cool, and we, the adolescents of that era felt we were on the cusp of entering an exciting time.

RIP Spencer Davis

LullyDully Wed 21-Oct-20 08:21:39

I saw them at The Windsor Jazz Festival and was very impressed. A class act.

PamelaJ1 Wed 21-Oct-20 08:53:58

Just been listening to the Spencer Davis group but I couldn’t concentrate on my Sudoku.
So we are quiet again now. We’ll listen and remember later.