Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Foreign TV

(10 Posts)
gulligranny Fri 20-Nov-20 22:50:47

We have only recently started watching The Bridge, as DH was sniffy about subtitles. We missed quite a bit of the Scandi stuff but he's got a bit deaf now and doesn't mind them anymore. So we have watched Series 1 & 2 - absolutely addictive, brilliant stuff. We'll binge on Series 3 & 4, and then I'm hoping to try him on The Killing.

kircubbin2000 Thu 12-Nov-20 14:55:35

A very good Spanish one ,think it was Night and Day or similar.

kircubbin2000 Thu 12-Nov-20 14:54:28

The Bureau is very good but after the first series I had to buy the second and then Amazon wanted me to subscribe to another app so I haven't seen any more.

ayse Thu 12-Nov-20 14:34:13

Just watched Fear by the Lake and previously Vanished. I prefer European drama to USA drama as there is far less bang, bang and car chases and good dialogue.

Cardinal (Canadian) is very good but a bit gruesome on BBC iPlayer. The Bridge was especially gripping.

It takes some searching but there is good drama out there. I just try different series and if I don’t like it I look for something different. We are so lucky to have such a huge choice

Sunlover Thu 12-Nov-20 13:58:16

Loving DNA.
Also liked the couple of series of Spiral. Searched high and low for the other series but to no avail.

TerriBull Thu 12-Nov-20 12:35:10

Big fan of Spiral when I met up with some of my French cousins at our aunt's funeral a couple of years ago, during the course of conversations, I told them we were watching Spiral and they said they'd never heard of it, so maybe that's down to the explanation you give Witzend.

Another really good French series on a while back was "The Disappeared" which I see is on BBC IPlayer, I can certainly recommend that one for anyone who hasn't seen it.

I've heard "The Bureau" of Amazon Prime is good, but haven't seen that yet, annoyingly, doesn't seem to be included in their "Free to me" package.

Like others enjoyed some Scandi stuff, notably "The Bridge", "The Killing" and "Borgen" but after a while got some of their lacklustre stuff as well, not so "DNA" that's really good imo.

Witzend Thu 12-Nov-20 11:57:50

Fans of most of the 9 pm Saturday slots on BBC4 here. And we really enjoyed the one series of Spiral we saw, but were unable to find more than anywhere on Netflix, catch up, etc.
So for my so-hard-to-buy-for dh, I’ve bought series 1-6 on DVD.

I was surprised to read somewhere that Spiral had only a relatively small audience in France, since it was on a subscription-only channel.
This was thought to be because it doesn’t always portray the police in a good light, so was shunned by the major channels.

How true that is I don’t know, though.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 12-Nov-20 11:48:48

I enjoy 'Spiral' very much though it can be a bit gruesome at times. Sadly my favourite characters often suffer a sticky end.

When we were on holiday in France we liked to watch films at 9.10 each evening (after 10 mins of ads, then no interruptions) and saw 'Secret and Lies' in English with French subtitles.

Blossoming Thu 12-Nov-20 11:36:51

We watch a lot of Nordic Noir series. I prefer programs with subtitles.

Sunlover Thu 12-Nov-20 11:25:41

Just finished watching some good crime series on More 4.
Fear by the lake
Vanished by the lake
??? By the lake. ( can’t remember title)
Try and watch in order
No Second Chance by Harlan Cobern
All French with subtitles.