Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Mozart's Requiem on BBC 2

(25 Posts)
trisher Sat 14-Nov-20 19:55:47

Watching this performed with all the musicians socially distanced in an empty theatre is so emotional. Somehow the emptiness makes it more poignant. It's a lament for this epidemic.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 19:59:10

Oh goody goody, I need cheering up grin

Fennel Sat 14-Nov-20 20:03:48

I love that piece of music - I once belonged to a choir in Manchester and we sang it.
Which chanel is it on trisher ?

ayse Sat 14-Nov-20 20:09:25

We sang this at school together with the boys from another school. A tremendous experience. It’s so uplifting to be able to see it on TV. I love the ENO. I’m just watching/listening right now.

I wish the BEEB or someone else would have Messiah on at Christmas.

ayse Sat 14-Nov-20 20:12:20

I didn’t realise how privileged I was to have such a good education.

trisher Sat 14-Nov-20 20:16:00

It's on BBC 2 Fennel just finished, but you should be able to get it on i-player.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 20:16:23

I remember singing the Messiah at school.

EllanVannin Sat 14-Nov-20 20:17:43

We had a weekly lesson devoted to classical and the operas.

Ellianne Sat 14-Nov-20 20:21:43

Inner London comprehensive school girl here (grin), but husband was a chorister so recording it to watch after Strictly. Got to get the priorities right!

Fennel Sat 14-Nov-20 20:40:22

Thanks trisher I've found it.

silverlining48 Sat 14-Nov-20 22:44:15

It was lovely but so sad they were playing to an empty venue. Where was it by the way, it looked a beautiful building.

trisher Sat 14-Nov-20 22:49:18

Think it was The Colliseum Theatre in London.

Ellianne Sat 14-Nov-20 22:50:56

London Coliseum silverlining bottom of St Martin's Lane.
It was very moving.
The players would have been used to the empty auditorium because that's how they rehearse, but of course the distancing on stage would have been strange for them.

Ellianne Sat 14-Nov-20 23:22:18

We went to the opera there once. Amazing building, but gosh it was SO loud in the battle scenes. Not really my cup of tea.

Onthenaughtystep1 Sun 15-Nov-20 08:19:11

Thank you for publicising this. We so rarely watch terrestrial TV these days we probably miss some excellent Programmes.

Grandma70s Sun 15-Nov-20 08:40:34

Wonderful to have something of such quality on prime time Saturday night TV. It should happen regularly. Superb soloists, chorus a bit scrappy but the necessary distancing doesn’t help cohesion. Also it was an opera chorus, not a choir.

It’s a marvellous piece to sing. I’ve been in it several times. I think I was not the only one to join in! Luckily no-one could hear.

I wonder, though, why there wasn’t a translation of the words on screen? Not everyone knows them, and they do matter. The subtitles just said ‘Singing in Latin’, which wasn’t very informative.

trisher Sun 15-Nov-20 10:00:51

I wished the words were there as well Grandma70s. Still I suppose you can't have everything.

Cabbie21 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:01:49

Really good to watch and listen to this yesterday.
It is a piece I know well and have sung many times. I thought the quality of the singing was very different from the usual sound from choirs, even professional ones like The Sixteen. It also occurred to me that most of the choir were probably singing this for the first time, as it is not part of their normal repertoire.

grumppa Sun 15-Nov-20 11:21:31

Your point about the effect of the emptiness struck a chord, trisher. I felt the same about the Remembrance programme from the Albert Hall the other day.

Fennel Sun 15-Nov-20 11:28:41

I would think the words are from the RC prayer book which might give a translation too?
I only know some of he titles eg Dies Irae = day of anger.
lachrymosa - weeping.

Ellianne Sun 15-Nov-20 11:29:29

I think we have to take our hats off to those true professionals - musicians, military bands, sportsmen etc - who can carry on their art and jobs with little fuss and complaining despite all.
The lady who spoke with the presenter at the beginning of the performance was inspirational. She said that so much good nd positivity had come out of lockdown for the ENO because it had attracted a new generation through the online stuff.

Onthenaughtystep1 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:34:27

trisher. I love your idea. We could turn it into karaoke! Nothing like a good sing song to raise spirits. <though I guess a requiem is not best suited> ?

Onthenaughtystep1 Sun 15-Nov-20 11:34:58

They may have subtitles.

grannysyb Sun 15-Nov-20 12:24:00

Loved it, hope we can all get back to live music and theatre soon.

Deedaa Sun 15-Nov-20 14:08:18

thoroughly enjoyed it. We played the Lacrymosa at DH's funeral. DS and I did feel that the accoustics had been affected by the lack of an audience. It was a very big empty space.