Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Another sad goodbye

(5 Posts)
Ealdemodor Sun 15-Nov-20 20:24:26

Sad news that Des O’Connor has passed away.
He was one of the best entertainers, and his tv shows were my guilty pleasure!
My husband and I went to see him once at our local theatre. We were probably the youngest people there, and hubs was making all the jokes about going in with a bag over his head etc., etc., but came out converted!
Des put on a terrific show. You could see that twinkle in his eye from the cheap seats!

Hellogirl1 Sun 15-Nov-20 20:38:25

I was a fan of Des as well. Right from around 1960 when he was a stand up comic, before he graduated to singing around 1967. I`ve missed him on TV lately, will have to go on missing him now. RIP to a very nice man.

avitorl Sun 15-Nov-20 23:19:01

I cried when I heard Des has gone.I first saw him many years ago when he was a supporting act with Johnny Ray at the Liverpool Empire.He was very young and unknown then and I was even younger and completely smitten by him. I had gone with my Nan who was a Johnny Ray fan so memories of her came flooding back today too.

Shirleyw Mon 16-Nov-20 04:57:06

Yes, I felt sadness,....my mother liked Des, I never disliked him but wasn't my Taste but I felt sad hearing the news but 88 is a fine old age....i feel sad when I hear of the ones dying , the ones I was brought up with on the TV.....makes me think I'm getting old 😆

Ashcombe Mon 16-Nov-20 05:58:28

I liked seeing him on Countdown which he compered successfully for a while. A well rounded entertainer who seemed at home in any situation. RIP, Des.