Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Channel 4 continuity announcer

(13 Posts)
Anniezee Mon 16-Nov-20 15:40:23

Has anyone heard the female continuity announcer on Channel 4 whose accent I cannot fathom. Is she Jamaican? Whatever it is it sounds fake.

FannyCornforth Mon 16-Nov-20 15:54:40

Channel 4 employ people with lots of different regional and national accents to do their links.
They've been doing this for some years now.
They even (shock) use people with hearing impairments to do the links.

I'm at a loss to what you want to achieve with this thread...
Or perhaps I'm not.

Anniezee Tue 17-Nov-20 13:41:38

My reason for asking is that the lady has a very unusual accent - almost like an English person putting on a Jamaican accent. Just sounds odd especially for a continuity announcer and I wondered if anyone knows who she is. I've no objection to different regional and national accents. I like to work out from where an accent originates.

Alishka Tue 17-Nov-20 13:54:12

I dunno, Anniezee, cos I watch BBC news. Have you Googled her? That should throw up place of birth,etc.
Fanny, as Anniezee has written, she just wants to place the accent. Nothing wrong with that, surely?hmm

BlueBelle Wed 18-Nov-20 05:48:45

Perhaps the thread would come across better if youd taken time to find a name then you or someone else can google her
I often watch channel 4 but no idea who you mean

Ashcombe Wed 18-Nov-20 05:59:31

Does this link help:-https://twitter.com/microsoft/status/1219666190949396486?lang=en

BlueBelle Wed 18-Nov-20 07:02:53

I googled that lady and she talks quite normally ashcombe
It appears there are four continuity announcers on channel 4
I like a puzzle

BlueBelle Wed 18-Nov-20 07:13:48

Googling and there is a Welsh/ Jamaican disabled lady on channel 4 announcing I think her name may be Kate Caryar She seems to be annying some people

BlueBelle Wed 18-Nov-20 07:18:22

www.communicationmatters.org.uk/news/2013-kate-caryer-channel4-

NanKate Wed 18-Nov-20 07:19:52

I have been trying to work out the accent of Laura Trevelyan who regularly appears on BBC News24 with Christian Fraser. I thought she might be from Australia but I’m wrong. I don’t care for her accent, but she is knowledgeable. I am not referring to Katty Kay who is a regular on what used to be called ‘Beyond 100 days’ who so cleverly explains US politics.

I know I have wandered off track, sorry.

Grandma70s Wed 18-Nov-20 07:32:58

Laura Trevelyan is a Londoner who now lives in New York.

Anniezee Wed 18-Nov-20 10:25:59

BlueBelle I had googled her without success!

Linney1 Sun 10-Jan-21 16:57:30

Jess Thom the tv presenter confirmed she has 'tourettes syndrome'. Not sure how her accent sounds like someone 'born and bred' in or from Jamaica??? No human(s) has ever heard of a individual communicating via 'tourettes syndrome' and it's identified as a person sounding as if they are from Jamaica? Or any Caribbean island worldwide ? ?