Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Goggle box/Naked Attraction

(52 Posts)
Sophiasnana Mon 23-Nov-20 18:50:39

Television really has reached a new low. Tuned in to goggle box the other night and watched them review a show called Naked Attraction. I am certainly no prude, but what has the world come to when men and women reveal themselves, standing in a box, stark naked, to try to win a date. The show is not remotely funny nor interesting. I honestly despair!

hollysteers Wed 09-Dec-20 00:48:04

Just to add, if my mother was alive, she would have fallen off her chair with shock at Naked Attraction.
Having said that, my friend’s 95 year old mother has it on series link lol. Probably disbelief ?

hollysteers Wed 09-Dec-20 00:37:04

I love Gigglebox, but only watch it when my son comes round and we have a good laugh. I too, love the Siddiques, but where are the women of the family? Father Siddique looked much better with his dyed dark brown hair, he’s a darling. I chatted to June and Leon in the interval of a play and he jokingly said he was on in the next half. So sad they have both passed.
It’s strange that Naked Attraction is so boring when it’s so outrageous. I watched a few episodes but couldn’t remember which I had seen, they all blended into each other. Just goes to show there is more to human relationships than bodies as not many seem to work out.
Imagine saying to friends and family “I’m on tv next week”
Oh what?
Naked Attraction ?

MayBee70 Wed 25-Nov-20 00:07:33

I know it’s wrong of me to notice such things but I do because I’m on the never ending diet but the blonde sister who used to be slim is now rather fat and the dark haired sister who used to be fat seems to have slimmed down and is looking rather beautiful.

lemongrove Tue 24-Nov-20 20:20:25

I like Gogglebox it’s amusing, and have seen Naked Attraction before too a few times ( shock horror!) It’s just bodies after all.
Nobody is being forced to do anything they don’t want to, they are all extroverts.It is rather a strange idea for a show, but better than watching a violent programme.
On GB I like all except the family with huge dogs and the two
Sisters ( who rarely have anything interesting to say.)

dogsmother Tue 24-Nov-20 19:00:56

Love Gogglebox.
Would so not enjoy seeing myself in the position of any of them as I can relate to so many !
Sometimes, swearing, sometimes eating cake and sometimes saying inappropriate things. Probably not quite as judgmental as some.

FannyCornforth Tue 24-Nov-20 18:34:56

Jane10

Ian Hislop is a fan of Gogglebox.

Yeah, he would be.
Hislop has connections with Giles and Mary.
Mary Killen has written for The Telegraph and The Spectator for quite some time.

EllanVannin Tue 24-Nov-20 18:29:15

I had no idea about that Naked Attraction as when I was talking to the neighbour yesterday she asked me if I watched it, and thinking she meant a film I said no.

I couldn't sit and watch things like that, good grief !
I enjoy the programme about the chap who buys antiques and travels all over the country sometimes to mansions and grand houses.
Sometimes Dinner Date, then the news and bed. A boring life but I enjoy it really.

I used to watch Gogglebox before Leon died but haven't bothered since.

It's my Miss Marple night, 2 and a 1/2 hours--8-10.25. I look forward to it every Tuesday.

Sophiasnana Tue 24-Nov-20 18:03:50

Bluebelle....and as for the dads language? He cant string a sentence together without using the F word!

Grannynannywanny Tue 24-Nov-20 13:02:27

BlueBelle as well as the huge dogs slobbering round the cakes, I hate how all the family sit wearing their outdoor shoes and and rest their feet within inches of the artistically arranged cake display!

Grannynannywanny Tue 24-Nov-20 12:58:46

Apparently no one knows how much they get paid except that they do

WOODMOUSE49 I’ve read a few times that they are paid £1k per month per family for 6 hours a week.

BlueBelle Tue 24-Nov-20 12:54:40

I really like The Siddiques,, Jenny and Lee, Giles and Mary (weird couple indeed) and Mary and Marina but .....
Can’t stand the brother and sister incredible annoying, the two sisters don’t beckon me at all and also I m afraid that dog slobbering around the cakes really put me off that family I think the Dad looks like the dog Stephen and his simpering new partner really drive me to drink The rest are kind of O K ish
I really dislike the celebrity one and can’t bear watching it

WOODMOUSE49 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:39:55

I should imagine Naked Attraction was chosen because they ( knew it would get a good reaction from the gogglebox contributors. Hilarity grin and repulsion shock.

I do like Gogglebox. Jenny and Lee, and Giles and Mary are my favourites. Siddiqui family too.

Interesting to know how these people are found. You can't apply to be on the programme. The producers go out to find people. Some come through recommendations e.g Giles.

Gogglebox creators Stephen Lambert and Tania Alexander went to a bridge club to do a "street casting" for the show, and that's where they found two opinionated retired teachers that turned out to be Leon and June.

Apparently no one knows how much they get paid except that they do.

Willow500 Tue 24-Nov-20 12:02:28

We love GB but can't understand the 'attraction' for Naked Attraction - next thing we'll be watching people's reaction to toilet deposits shock!!

We like Jenny & Lee best and also the antics of Dave the Dog - when he landed on the cakes it was so funny.

I suddenly realised the other night that Sophie's brother Peter looked a bit like one of those paper face masks you put on at parties grin but do find them quite amusing on the whole. My SIL says I remind her of Mary for some reason - my chair does not match the wallpaper though grin!!

FarNorth Tue 24-Nov-20 11:24:43

I hadn't thought of that Daisymae. It's not working with the posters on here, anyway.

NotSpaghetti Tue 24-Nov-20 08:32:01

Phoenix - I too was shouting at the telly!
Aaaarghhh!
Why, oh why, when the programme is about being naked the presenter cannot correctly name body parts is beyond me.

I was disappointed that they showed this programme twice on Gogglebox. I really enjoy watching Gogglebox but feel that once is more than enough for Naked Attraction.

Daisymae Tue 24-Nov-20 07:24:40

I like Gogglebox, but I think that they are using this popular program to pedal Naked Attraction to a wider audience. I think that they will lose a part of their regular viewers if this continues. Naked Attraction is really the lowest if the low.

Georgesgran Tue 24-Nov-20 02:28:28

My daughter was asked if she’d be interested in being on Gogglebox! I thought she’d jump at the chance but she said being disabled, she feared being trolled.
Can’t abide Naked Attraction - wonder what sort of person thought that up?
Still watch Gogglebox, but some participants seem to get a lot of air-time and others just time for the odd comment.

welbeck Tue 24-Nov-20 00:20:30

i didn't watch it for a long time, as i assumed it was something to do with computers...

i find it fascinating that so many people from completely different backgrounds react in a similar way to eg politicians, or other controversial issues.
everyone loves the siddiques, how could you not.

Alegrias2 Mon 23-Nov-20 23:40:22

I must be in a minority. I like Sophie and Pete, the brother and sister from Blackpool. They seem to get on so well together. Sophie started to cry when the second lockdown was announced, and I wanted to give her a hug.

On the other hand, I can't abide Giles and Mary. They're too..... well, eccentric would be a nice word for it, I suppose!

Wouldn't do if we all liked the same things ?

Doodledog Mon 23-Nov-20 23:35:46

I don't see the attraction of Naked Attraction grin. I find it quite unpleasant, and I can't imagine how anyone can go on that and then go to work the next day.

I still watch Gogglebox, but find it very scripted nowadays. When they watch films, for instance, they all narrate the action, and behave as though none of them have seen the most famous films ever made 'AAArrgghh! He's stabbing her in the shower!!!'

Giles and Mary irritate me, too. He is so childish, and she seems joyless. I like the Siddiquis and Jenny and Lee the best. Oh, and Mary and Marina are good value. I like the black family too, but they haven't been on long enough to know them very well - I think the dad is called Marcus.

Sophiasnana Mon 23-Nov-20 23:34:41

The brother and sister! Her crazy screeching laugh is like dragging nails down a blackboard! Also not keen on the two sisters, Ella and Izzy, who seem to be constantly eating! Love Giles and Mary...very intelligent couple. I suppose we all have different favourites.

MayBee70 Mon 23-Nov-20 23:23:00

Lilypops

The Brother and Sister from Blackpool are not my favourites at all , the silly , sister laughing hysterically is so false , the brother just isn’t funny, just irritating,
Live Jenny and Lee, The Siddiquis, Mary and Marina I love ,
Can’t stand the Malones

I agree with that apart from liking the Malones. I miss June and Leon and I think that’s why I stopped watching it for a while. The brother and sister are not funny at all. I also miss the vicar.

Kate54 Mon 23-Nov-20 23:12:57

Love Gogglebox but, as I mentioned on another thread, was absolutely appalled at the Naked Attraction segment. Before averting my eyes, it looked as if every single one of the women who happily displayed their lower halves had rid themslves of their pubic hair. Apart from this being a mad fashion, if that’s what it is, what kind of message is it sending? Extremely worrying at a time when young women have increasing problems with body image......and surely showing women effectively as little girls is dangerous on so many levels. I think the show should be banned,

Lilypops Mon 23-Nov-20 22:51:58

The Brother and Sister from Blackpool are not my favourites at all , the silly , sister laughing hysterically is so false , the brother just isn’t funny, just irritating,
Live Jenny and Lee, The Siddiquis, Mary and Marina I love ,
Can’t stand the Malones

Grannynannywanny Mon 23-Nov-20 22:39:43

I’d read about Gogglebox years ago and thought it sounded a daft idea for a programme. Then I came across it one evening and was hooked from the first episode. June and Leon were my absolute favourites. They reminded me of my parents.

I’m not so keen on the celebrity version. They’re trying to hard to be funny and not nearly as good as the other regulars.