Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Great British Bake Off Final

(25 Posts)
GrandmaKT Tue 24-Nov-20 20:30:04

Anyone watching?
Poor Laura is having a nightmare! (I was surprised when she got through last week).
Matt Lucas and Noel Fielding are soo annoying! If they came round wittering to me when I was under pressure, that stupid spoon would be stuck where the sun don't shine!

travelsafar Tue 24-Nov-20 20:38:35

I agree Mattt and Noel are so irratating, especially tonight they don't need them faffing around with Mr Spoon, how childish!!! Poor Laurasad

merlotgran Tue 24-Nov-20 21:16:35

Well done, Peter. Hermine should have been in the final, not Laura.

Get rid of Matt and Noel next year please.

Jane10 Tue 24-Nov-20 21:31:19

I like Matt and Noel. They lighten things somehow and have become part of the whole GBBO experience.
I'm glad Peter won but also thought Dave was in with a chance.

YorkLady Tue 24-Nov-20 21:32:40

I quite like Matt and Noel. It was fantastic that Peter won.
What will we do now on Tuesday evening for a nice bit of entertainment?

Lucretzia Tue 24-Nov-20 21:36:08

I only started watching this because Matt Lucas was in it

Captivated me right from the start

Glad Peter won. He was good all the way through

As for Matt and Noel. They make the programme for me and my family

Fabulous additions to the team

Jaxjacky Tue 24-Nov-20 21:41:22

I enjoy them all, still revelling in new TV after months of repeats earlier in the year. Wanted Dave to win, mainly because of an old work connection.

paddyanne Tue 24-Nov-20 21:45:26

I think Peter was the most consistent from the start and deserved to win,its always good to see young folk involved at this level .

Maggiemaybe Tue 24-Nov-20 22:01:46

I like Matt and Noel, and think they bring just the right amount of fun to the programme.

I’m very glad that Peter won. He’s been consistently good from the start.

GrandmaKT Tue 24-Nov-20 22:01:54

Yes I agree padyanne, Peter was the most consistent throughout. Very calm and likeable, should have a great future!

Charleygirl5 Tue 24-Nov-20 22:18:57

It did appear to be touch and go between Peter and David. I did feel sorry for Laura but am inclined to agree, she got there tonight by the skin of her teeth.

Nana3 Tue 24-Nov-20 22:23:45

I was also sorry not to see Hermine in the final.

ginny Tue 24-Nov-20 22:26:54

Yes, I feel Peter was a worthy winner.
I don’t mind either Noel or Matt except that I do wonder why they need two people to do the job.

gulligranny Tue 24-Nov-20 22:32:40

Peter has been excellent all the way through, so pleased he won. I agree with everyone who says that Hermine should have been in the final, she was head and shoulders better than Laura.

I like the addition of Matt, and would now like to see the subtraction of Noel!

Ellianne Tue 24-Nov-20 23:01:29

It will be interesting to see whether Peter makes a career out of baking from his success on Bake Off. He could become a TV type chef and write cookery books, but on the other hand after university he may pursue an academic career. Who knows?
A deserving winner.

BlueSapphire Wed 25-Nov-20 10:38:55

Yes, I was thrilled that Peter won, such a lovely young man; I have been rooting for him right from the start. Should have been Hermine there instead of Laura. Don't how she got through last week.

I think Matt and Noel are great, and together with Prue and Paul, make a great team. Really enjoyed this series.

TerriBull Wed 25-Nov-20 11:49:17

I agree about Hermine, I thought she was consistently good and then had a very bad week in the semi finals sad she would have been a far better contender in the final three imo. I think she could have won! I felt very sympathetic towards Laura though, she doesn't perform well under pressure, and the hot weather didn't help. I didn't feel she was a match for either of the men, but having said that was appalled at all the vitriol she apparently got on line when she pipped Hermine at the post to reach the finals, people are vile! it's not as if she put herself forward.

Peter was a worthy winner, kind of suspected it would be him, he rarely put a foot wrong, but David was a good runner up.

I love Noel and Matt, my son introduced me to Noel back when he was in "The Mighty Boosh" he's very off the wall, quite an acquired taste, and I would agree Mr Spoon being waved around would be an annoyance when working under pressure, well done them for not taking said spoon away and whacking him with it grin It strikes me that Noel is looking a lot like Richard III these days (without the hunchback) with his long black hair.

WOODMOUSE49 Wed 25-Nov-20 13:55:08

TerriBull

I agree about Hermine, I thought she was consistently good and then had a very bad week in the semi finals sad she would have been a far better contender in the final three imo. I think she could have won! I felt very sympathetic towards Laura though, she doesn't perform well under pressure, and the hot weather didn't help. I didn't feel she was a match for either of the men, but having said that was appalled at all the vitriol she apparently got on line when she pipped Hermine at the post to reach the finals, people are vile! it's not as if she put herself forward.

Peter was a worthy winner, kind of suspected it would be him, he rarely put a foot wrong, but David was a good runner up.

I love Noel and Matt, my son introduced me to Noel back when he was in "The Mighty Boosh" he's very off the wall, quite an acquired taste, and I would agree Mr Spoon being waved around would be an annoyance when working under pressure, well done them for not taking said spoon away and whacking him with it grin It strikes me that Noel is looking a lot like Richard III these days (without the hunchback) with his long black hair.

Total agreement.

I too got to know and like Noel from 'Mighty Boosh'. I also got to like Matt from 'Little Britain' days and even more in Les Mis - 25th Anniversary concert.

GillT57 Wed 25-Nov-20 14:10:59

I was not keen on the idea of Matt Lucas replacing Sandi Tosvig, but he is not as bad as I thought he would be. I like Noel, and I thought he showed great kindness to poor Laura last night when she went to pieces. Peter was a well deserved winner, but would have been just as happy to see David win. Such a lovely programme, no backbiting, no nastiness, just people doing their best and often helping their fellow contestants too. My Tuesday nights will be different now; I liked my glass of wine and GBBO evening!

trisher Wed 25-Nov-20 14:58:45

I love Matt and Noel. Thought Laura didn't deserveto be in the final and messed up as usual. Peter was amazing.

Sarnia Wed 25-Nov-20 15:04:48

Laura sailed close to the wind a few times but held on the get her place in the Final. I didn't mind who won. It must be Stress City in that tent with the heat and cameras. I shall miss GBBO on Tuesday evenings.

Gagagran Wed 25-Nov-20 15:22:56

I loved Prue Leith's fashions! Wish I knew where she gets her outfits as they are just my sort of thing. She is amazing for 80 years old and very kind to all the contestants. I also think Paul has mellowed a bit with her example.

Glad Peter won and agree that Hermine should have been there instead of Laura.

Nortsat Wed 25-Nov-20 17:33:25

We enjoyed the GBBO final and would have been happy if either Peter or David won. It was lovely and Peter was a delight. We too watched it with a glass of wine ... and on a non wine night!

I enjoyed the ‘Noel & Mat’ show more than I expected to. Both men were kind to the contestants and are not macho, which is a relief to me, after some of Paul Hollywood’s posturing.
I thought Noel was very kind to Laura with his Bjorn Borg story, when she became upset.

Gagagran I don’t know where Prue Leith buys her clothes, but I know she has launched a range of beaded jewellery with Lola Rose www.lolarose.co.uk/gb/collections/prue-lola-rose-collection?product_list_order=position&pageNumber=2 which is worth a look. ?

Deedaa Wed 25-Nov-20 21:03:12

A jolly good final and I thought Noel was very sweet with Laura.

hugshelp Wed 25-Nov-20 22:45:24

I really like both Noel and Matt but can't see the point of their silly double act, one would be fine, without quite so much silliness.

Enjoyed the series very much though and very pleased to see Peter win.