Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Brief Encounter (Light Hearted)

(72 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 27-Nov-20 18:04:44

Watched this last night on BBC4, one of my favourite films, seen it many times. Made 75 years ago, and oh, how times have changed!

a) What did Laura see in the Trevor Howard character? I thought he was a bit sleazy, always got the impression he had cheated before, and poor Laura was the latest conquest.

b) Laura’s weekly shopping trip. Different ideas of shopping in those days, she just had a sweet little wicker basket, which seemed to contain nothing more than a solitary library book, then lunch and a trip to the cinema.

c) Who collected the children from school, gave them their tea and put them to bed, all before Laura arrived home from her shopping trip? Probably the faithful Ethel, who also cooked the meals .

d) And what occupation did the faithful Fred have, to keep his wife in the lap of luxury? My guess would be solicitor, bank manager, accountant.

Nit picking aside, love the film though.

MawBe Sat 28-Nov-20 11:21:59

Did you know that Celia Johnson was Ian Fleming’s (James Bond) sister in law?
And that her husband Peter Fleming, a British adventurer, journalist and travel writer was also head of the ruthless Resistance Army of Kent and Sussex, a band of 20 guerilla units dedicated to killings as many Germans as possible in the event of an invasion?
Worthy of an Ian Fleming novel in itself!

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 11:29:55

Thank you Alegrias! thanks

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 11:31:31

Very interesting Maw!
I don't know much about Fleming, but he does seem to have many associated fascinating stories.

Jaberwok Sat 28-Nov-20 11:39:23

Adultery wasn't against the law, but he their affair been common knowledge and they'd actually gone off together, socially they would have been outcasts! Child access would have been extremely difficult particularly for Laura. S.A would have been the only answer and even there tongues would probably have wagged! My DH's parents were divorced in 1954 and his father worked abroad with new wife. Family in England stuck out like a sore thumb at school etc and were generally pitted and often patronised! So as a practising GP, Alec would have been finished the disaproval would have been so great, Has anyone seen a film called 'Staying On'? About an elderly couple who stayed on in India after independence. Starring an elderly Trevor Howard and Celia Johnson!! Alec and Laura?!!!!!

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 11:43:10

Jaberwok the film you mention sounds very interesting, thank you.

Calendargirl Sat 28-Nov-20 12:27:13

Good job Ethel wasn’t in charge of the children when Bobby got knocked down by a car, or she would have been sacked, I fear.

Celia Johnson’s daughter is the actress Lucy Fleming, an attractive lady like her mother, married to the actor, Simon Williams, from Upstairs Downstairs.

JackyB Sat 28-Nov-20 13:38:36

Richard Curtis is another example of a gay writer who gets hetero relationships spot on. You can't beat Love Actually which has several versions of relationships.

When watching Brief Encounter I am transported back to the time it takes place although it was before I was born, and I suspend my disbelief even though the questions about who is looking after the children and what was she actually doing in these shopping trips are quite justified.

Georgesgran Sat 28-Nov-20 13:58:38

Such a harmless film by today’s standards and an interesting look back on life at that time. My DF’s Mother’s family were in Ireland and he had various cousins sent over to be trained to be ‘in service’ by my DGM. She was formidable.
As a stay at home Mum myself, I can remember solitary trips out with a nice lunch - but always there to collect the children from school.

Anniebach Sat 28-Nov-20 14:09:30

Richard Curtis is gay ?

kittylester Sat 28-Nov-20 14:13:41

First I heard annie. Wonder if his wife has spotted that?

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 14:33:01

He's married to Esther Freud!!

luluaugust Sat 28-Nov-20 14:33:32

I have seen the film many times and never warmed to Alec. I remember going to Guildford for market day in the 1950's and it all seemed very exciting at the time, cattle at the bottom of the town and a pong from the Brewery. My mum would occasionally have day out shopping for material, buttons etc for dressmaking and treat herself to lunch. It all seems a long time ago now. The children almost certainly walked by themselves to school and back, we all did.

Anniebach Sat 28-Nov-20 14:36:03

And his 4 children kitty

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 14:36:21

Sorry, Emma Freud, but the point remains!

Anniebach Sat 28-Nov-20 14:37:53

Emma Freud and they have been together for years

Anniebach Sat 28-Nov-20 14:38:58

What point remains ?

FannyCornforth Sat 28-Nov-20 15:05:11

Anniebach

What point remains ?

That Richard Curtis is straight confused
First I mistakenly said that he was married to Esther Freud.
Then I corrected myself and said that he was married to Emma Freud.
In the post directly above yours saying the same thing.

littleflo Sun 29-Nov-20 10:27:41

This is one of my favourite films, I never get tired of watching it. I think it is because it’s and idealised image of life back then. I can also watch Casablanca and Waterloo Bridge over and over again.

Jaberwok Sun 29-Nov-20 11:38:46

I agree littleflow, I love both of these too!. Have you seen Blithe Spririt? If not, it's well worth watching! Gorgeous Rex Harrison!! I'll say no more!

Namsnanny Sun 29-Nov-20 12:58:06

Calendargirl

Good job Ethel wasn’t in charge of the children when Bobby got knocked down by a car, or she would have been sacked, I fear.

Celia Johnson’s daughter is the actress Lucy Fleming, an attractive lady like her mother, married to the actor, Simon Williams, from Upstairs Downstairs.

I saw a documentary about the film recently. In it Lucy Fleming read some of her mothers diary entries and letters about the reality of making the film. All very interesting.

I agree Maw ... anything to do with the Fleming family seems to develope into a good film plot!

Both Flemming and Noel Coward ended up in Jamaca didn't they?

boodymum67 Sun 29-Nov-20 13:05:50

I love the film....one of my faves.. I love the way Trevor Howard says `I love you`...in such a quick way.

I believe Laura had a lucky escape.

And I reckon her husband knew but preferred not to.

A timeless classic

Jaberwok Sun 29-Nov-20 13:33:06

On yes, I would think that her husband certainly knew something was occupying her mind that didn't include him! Wasn't it filmed in Carnforth in Lancashire? Supposedly far enough away from London which could still be dangerous at the end of the war.

Ilovecheese Sun 29-Nov-20 13:46:13

Yes, it was filmed in Carnforth. They have Brief Encounter on a loop at the station.

hollysteers Sun 29-Nov-20 16:19:58

You have made an excellent point Fanny. Both Noel Coward and Terence Rattigan were masters of the forbidden and unspoken, which give their works such truthfulness.
Trevor Howard was no Errol Flynn in the looks department but the Rachmaninov score is wonderful.
The film started life as a radio play.
I visited Coniston station last year and had a cuppa in the tearoom, still looking like the 1940s, a lovely trip.

hollysteers Sun 29-Nov-20 16:21:18

Celia’s voice is a bit much though isn’t it!?