Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Crown......again!

(70 Posts)
PollyDolly Mon 30-Nov-20 07:35:52

I've started watching the latest series and have just seen episode 4.
Episode 3 featured Charles and Diana on tour and in one scene they attended a "dinner". Charles was standing to the fore giving a speech and Diana was seated slightly to right of scene...........with her legs crossed! Correct me if I'm wrong but the Royals do not do this do they?
Also, in episode 4, the Queen summoned all four of her children individually to a private lunch meeting. In one scene the Queen and Andrew were eating poached salmon........using ordinary cutlery. Surely they would have used fish knives?
This might all sound rather trivial to many of you but if a media company goes to all the trouble of producing a drama series on the Royal Family they might at least get the finer details correct!

Daddima Tue 01-Dec-20 16:32:21

I think this series has strange inaccuracies compared to previous ones ( or else I missed them).

What was the point of Diana in the Midsummer Night’s Dream getup in Episode 1?

And were we supposed to believe she didn’t know to whom and in which order to curtsey? She had been familiar with the royals all her life!

Other than that, I just found it duller than the previous series.

Anniebach Tue 01-Dec-20 12:44:05

Iam can’t knit now, Arthritis has twisted my hands but yes I
did knitting for years. Even designed and made knitwear and
sold in craft fairs.

That sheep jumper pattern was complicated and that damn black sheep in the middle . grrrrrrrr

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 12:34:57

“ Lucca - admiring some things about Diana doesn't mean we think she's a wonderful human being. Her death was a tragedy in so many ways and for so many people.”.
I was just saying that before I was accused of being a huge fan !

Iam64 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:24:43

Anniebach, you must have had good knitting skills to do that complicated pattern. I used to do cable and fair isle but these days I stick to less demanding patterns. Are you still knitting?

Lucca - admiring some things about Diana doesn't mean we think she's a wonderful human being. Her death was a tragedy in so many ways and for so many people.

Lucca Tue 01-Dec-20 09:48:46

Iam64

vegans rock, one of the enjoyable aspects of the drama was watching the progression of Diana's wardrobe. She moved from pretty girl who wore rather Sloan type outfits, to a beautiful young woman wearing interesting clothes that made the best of her.
I don't find this a 'nasty' thread.

Spot on. She had that undefinable “sense of style”. Not just being appropriately/formally dressed. She kept her hair short and avoided the inevitable long hair thing too.( I’m not saying this made her a wonderful human being by the way!)

Anniebach Tue 01-Dec-20 09:43:36

That red jumper with sheep on it, I was taking in knitting to
make some extra money, so many requests for that jumper ,
living in Wales who needs to see more sheep ?

Iam64 Tue 01-Dec-20 08:15:58

vegans rock, one of the enjoyable aspects of the drama was watching the progression of Diana's wardrobe. She moved from pretty girl who wore rather Sloan type outfits, to a beautiful young woman wearing interesting clothes that made the best of her.
I don't find this a 'nasty' thread.

vegansrock Tue 01-Dec-20 07:41:58

Diana has some lovely jumpers in the series, becoming very fashionable again.
I think that white dress she wore in New York is in the V and A - I know I’ve seen it somewhere- she looked gorgeous in that.

PollyDolly Tue 01-Dec-20 07:10:52

My OP was based on my observations of the latest series. Seemingly, my observations were apparently incorrect as some of you have informed me; I therefore stand corrected.

Many of you, too many to name individual but you know who you are, have used the OP as a platform to snipe and bitch at one another using your own opinions to fuel the debate.

I repeat, my OP was based on my observations of the media production so can you all PLEASE STOP BEING SO NASTY!

blondenana Mon 30-Nov-20 23:40:18

I haven't watched "The crown" i don't have netflix and if i had i wouldn't watch it
I think it shouldn't have been aired at all,
So many people believe everything in it is true
I like Camilla, and Charles and i hope he becomes king,i think he will be a good one
He and Camilla obviously love each other, and i think he was as miserable as Diana, in their marriage
Why did Diana marry Charles, they had only apparently met 13 times, she was star struck i think,for want of a better expression,and he had to find a wife

AllotmentLil Mon 30-Nov-20 23:05:29

Thankyou for the poem Jane10, really, really good! (We’ve got silver fish knives by the way but don’t hold them like pencils - always frowned upon by Mummy!) I was really enjoying this thread till it disintegrated into a Camilla v Diana rant. The Crown is drama not fact. The truth is we’ll never know the whole truth and nothing but the truth. I’m enjoying The Crown and taking it with a pinch of salt - from a little dish obvs! ?

Jane10 Mon 30-Nov-20 22:38:54

Diana didn't cope with the press attention and gave up her job and moved into Clarence House before her marriage due to the intense barrage of press interest.
Kate is more intelligent and better educated than Diana, lived with William in St Andrews and didn't get engaged until they'd been in a relationship for years. They even broke it off once then came back together (thank goodness).

Anniebach Mon 30-Nov-20 22:34:21

Iam. Perhaps you don’t remember or were not interested when the press named every woman he was suppose to have
dated.

I think this caused some nice girls to break off with him, they
couldn’t/ wouldn’t cope with the press. No, not I think I know because some said so to the press.

Diana coped with it. Kate found it difficult and left her job in
London.

Iam64 Mon 30-Nov-20 21:38:37

Ok Annie, I accept you were talking about the RF.
I’m sure though, that the journalists and editors know a good deal they haven’t reported.

Lucca Mon 30-Nov-20 21:30:45

And for the second time if you haven’t got it in for Diana just for once say one nice thing about her!

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Nov-20 21:09:14

For the 3rd time Annie, what are the lies about Camilla that you mention?

Anniebach Mon 30-Nov-20 20:40:47

Framilode it was all so sad, and yes faults on both sides .

What is so hard to understand is the Panorama interview, the
marriage was over, both in love with others , her book wasn’t
enough for her.

I do believe Charles when he said the affair with Camilla started after the marriage had broken down, no different to
Diana’s affair with Hewitt.

MissAdventure Mon 30-Nov-20 20:39:24

And no better.

Framilode Mon 30-Nov-20 20:31:11

I agree with you Annie. A lot of the information about Diana has been taken from the Andrew Morton book that she virtually wrote. It does not mean it is true, it is Diana's spin on things. In the book she denied an affair with James Hewitt and any other affairs. By this stage in the marriage she had already had several affairs.

I think it was a dreadful marriage with faults on both sides . They both turned to others so in that respect Charles was no worse than Diana.

Anniebach Mon 30-Nov-20 20:23:40

Iam I was speaking of the royal family , why would the press
not release info on one alleged affair Charles had. He did with
Kanga Tyron and this was reported.

Phillip and the Queen , alleged affairs, Anne an alleged affair
with an actor and the love letters from Tim Laurence

Jane10 Mon 30-Nov-20 19:59:23

They agreed to keep quiet about Edward and Mrs S back in the 30s. There are some pretty big secrets right now but injunctions prohibit them being revealed.

Iam64 Mon 30-Nov-20 19:55:44

Ive never known the press silent when there's an open secret doing the rounds

Annie if only that was true. I can think of several 'open secrets' but will mention only two, on the basis we now all accept them as truths. Jimmy Saville. Cyril Smith.

Katek Mon 30-Nov-20 19:53:19

Fish knives were seen as a middle class affectation by the upper classes so it’s probably correct that they weren’t used in The Crown

biba70 Mon 30-Nov-20 19:04:14

They were all 3 victims of circumstances ...

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Nov-20 18:55:29

I defend Camilla because of the lies so many choose to believe.

Anniebach What are these lies about Camilla?